Type 2 Diabetes - anyone 'nearly' diagnosed?

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by Barb, 18 May 2011 Social URL.

1. Barb

Barb Gold Member

Diet:
    Healthy eating/Food diary
    Type 2 Diabetes - anyone 'nearly' diagnosed?
    After a gp visit this week I was shocked to be told that my fasting blood glucose level was 7.6 and that if the next result comes up similar then I will be considered to be diabetic!

I have immediately started a 'healthy eating' plan, cutting out processed foods/sugary foods and high carb foods.

I just wondered what experience of this kind of test other s have had and whether I am as 'doomed' as I feel.

All info very gratefully received.

May 17th 2011 - The fight back to health.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Barb

Barb Gold Member

Diet:
    I posted this thread originally in WW - then thought it would be better here. Hope that is ok.

4. shrinkingannie

shrinkingannie Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st12lb
    Lost(%):
    4st1lb(28.36%)
    Diet:
    healthy eating
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd imagine if u stick to a healthy diet, mainly low GI it will stabilise and you might not need any meds - good luck!!!

5. ruth frances

ruth frances Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.61%)
    Diet:
    Low GI
    Sorry to hear about your GP visit. At least now you know, and you can do something about it. You need to start following a low glycaemic index diet - this basically means that you eat things that don't produce a big insulin response. Prof Jennie Brand Miller has a good book - the GI factor for diabetes - you can get it on amazon. hope that helps Xx

6. BehindBlueEyes

BehindBlueEyes Member

Hi Barb,

Sorry to hear about being nearly diagnosed with diabetes! I'd say the same as Ruth and Annie, a diet which helps you to manage your blood sugar and stabilise insulin levels would be best. I'd definitely say Gi/GL or something that works on the same principles, such as South Beach.

One of the many reasons I'm here trying to eat healthily is because I'm concerned about diabetes - it runs in both sides of my family and I want to avoid it for as long as possible!

Hope things go well at your next GP visit!

7. ruth frances

ruth frances Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.61%)
    Diet:
    Low GI
    whoops, gave u the wrong name, it's called the new glucose revolution for diabetes

8. Barb

Barb Gold Member

Diet:
    Thanks Ruth, I will definitely look that up. Thanks Blue too, it certainly is a good incentive for weight loss.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.