Under tenner a week challenge

RebekahR

Gold Member
Anyone else on a shoestring? ?

Thought might be handy to share ideas sbd recipes to keep costs down!

Xxx
Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I'm finding starting slimming world expensive already! I bought some veg in Tesco that was reduced as it's nearly out of date and made a big stir fry to last me today and tomorrow!

Frozen veg and fruit is cheaper than fresh and still nice x

I buy frozen peppers onions & passata

Fruit is citrus mainly and reduced tropical fruit

Cut out bars etc now

Making huge soup saving money under a pound for three days serving

Really want to continue cutting down uoto xmas! 7/8 quid would be ideal

Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

It can definitely be expensive alright, I remember when I started first (I started last year, lost a stone and then gave up, do'h!), it was expensive buying all the store cupboard ingredients, all the spices, passata etc. etc. but once you have them, most of them last quite a while. Keeping the fresh fruit stocks can add up too but I tend to buy in Lidl and Aldi, their fruit is great and generally inexpensive. I'm going SW myself from home so at least I don't have to worry about that cost added on. Making up batches is a good idea, I tend to do that with bolognese, I buy about 2lb of round steak mince and probably get about six or seven dinners for myself out of it (none of the others in my family eat it!). I try to keep my meals the same as my family for the most part, I know some of the recipies are gorgeous but my gang are a potato and meat crowd so I can still eat the stews, chops, roast beef, chicken etc., as long as I do it right! Before I started back on this, I ate out nearly every day for lunch so I'm saving that much anyway, I bring in soup or salad now for lunch and just meet my friend for a coffee after that instead.

When I feel the pinch, My go to food is eggs, Not only are the fast and health, You can get a lot out of them.

I got into the habit of throwing in whatevers about or whats going off, making scramble eggs and so so many frittatas (I once had a cheese potato and onion frittata as all that lot were on their last legs and It was awesome :eating:)

And my fave thing to have the the 'ham quiche' They are great as part of a main meal or cold as a snack,

There are loads of ways to do this but all I do is some frylight on a muffin tray (you can just what ever you like, make a huge one if you want, but i like the mini styled ones)

Use ham to form cups, they are going to replace the pastry base.

and fill the 'cups' with a mixture of Egg, Fat free cottage cheese and what ever you fancy in you quiche (usually for me 3 eggs and 150g of Cottage cheese, HEX of cheese and onion, more ham, peas)

Bang in the oven for about 30 mins on 190ºC/170ºC Fan/Gas 5

Local fruit and veg stalls work out cheaper for me for a lot of veg. The only thing that I've found is cheaper in supermarkets is mushrooms. I got 3 pineapples for 50p the other day - admittedly, not the freshest but I chopped them into sticks and put them in the fridge as soon as I got in and they've last me a few days :)

I plan my week in advance and write my shopping list from that. This week I bought a gammon joint for less than £3 and there is enough to be part of 3 evening meals for 2 and sandwich meat got my husband for around 3 days. I also check the super 6 at aldi, that can save quite a bit. I buy a mix of frozen and fresh veg. I buy a lot of value products. I am currently on maternity leave and only receiving the basic each week so we have to keep things tight. Any other suggestions would be great.

I've found turkey to be really good value for money. Made a cassarole with half a pack of turkey steak which came to around 50p per portion - big portions too! would probably strech further if having it with mash etc on an EE day

If you can go to supermarkets when they are reducing things it really helps hun. This afternoon I got 2 pork loin joints for £1.85 each, 3 basa fillets for 59p, 400g turkey stir fry for 99p. They had lots of other stuff too like poussin and pheasant but I don't know how to cook them so didn't get them.

Meal plans help massively too x

Back