URGENT help on net carbs plse

debi13

I started induction on Monday using the 'New Atkins New You' book and have only eaten what is on their list so far. But I want to make the Cheseburger Pie that you all rave about tonight - with Quorn mince. I looked at the pack and total carbs in 100g is 4.5 but fibre is 5.5! How can I take this away from the total carbs for a net carb cont? Is it possible to be a negative? Do you know the answer or shallI just count it as 4.5 carbs per 100g? Ooooerrrr!

you do not deduct ANYTHING from the carbs here in the UK, the taking away of fibre is only an american thing

hope that helps

(and cheeseburger pie is gorgeous!)

Missy is correct although some people do deduct it so you need to decide for yourself. Most of us on here do it as Missy says though. I do, otherwise it means you need calculators when out shopping or a head for numbers.

I should imagine it would taste pretty much the same just make sure you pack it down at the bottom well as quorn is much finer than mince. Enjoy its def a big fav on here.

i have asked the people at Atkins UK to clarify this for me the New Atkins does say subtract the fibre the american have ths already done on all there products

Does this mean its already been done on all atkins products we buy and recipes from the books

im not spending extra on atkins products though, sort of defeats the point for me, im eating non processed food now, so why start :D

Good point missy. Def want to know about the recipes though before i find out that the carbs in mims and oopsies are mega high

Oh god i need help. Please can someone tell me how i should count my carbs as i thought i was doing it right but now not so sure. Plain simple english please so it actually goes in and need to know what net carbs are and how to find them out etc

In the UK food is labelled as below... as you can see fibre is not connected to Carbs in the labelling which means it does not get deducted from the Carb totals.

Nutrition Information Nutrient Per 100g
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]Energy 404.6KJ/97Kcal [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]Protein 63.0g [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]Carbohydrate 9.6g [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]of which sugars 2.0g [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]starch 7.7g [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]Fat 3.6g [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]of which saturates 1.3g [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]mono-saturates 1.4g [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]polysatuarates 0.7g [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]Fibre 1.6g [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]sodium 0.2g [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]salt 0.5g [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]Whereas in the US food is labelled as where the fibre is included as part of the carb content & therefore means it should be deducted to get your total carb count.[/FONT]

[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue][/FONT]

[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]As far as I'm aware a food cannot have a negative carb value.[/FONT]

[FONT=TJFQBU+HelveticaNeue-Roman,Helvetica Neue]Hope this helps clarify some doubts. xx[/FONT]

So working on your total carb method please explain why people are having MIMs so regular on induction from the recipe below took from a post back in 2008, this clearly shows the net carb weight.If so the total carb weight show to be 12(not so good as people think)

Muffin in a Minute

allowed on Induction

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
1 packet splenda packet (0.9 net carbs)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
1 teaspoon butter

(total carbs is 12.07, fiber is 8.8; net carbs is 3.27)

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

http://www.minimins.com/atkins-diet/49621-just-recipes-19.html

the negative well all i said was there is more fibre than carb so its cancelled out

the label shown shows the fibre as a sub heading of the carbs where its would be included in that value, if the fibre is shown as a seperate value its deducted from the carb weight to show the NET carb as in the MIM recipe

The original recipe that is posted was taken from an american site (perhaps this needs to be added so as not to cause confusion)... when I plug details for a MiM in on myfitness with UK details are as follows...

MiM Cals Carbs Fat Protein Fibre

Flaxseed 272 1 25 12 17
Baking powder 0 0 0 0 0
Splenda 0 1 0 0 0
Egg 70 1 5 6 0
Butter 34 0 4 0 0

Totals 376 3 34 18 17

I think it will be very helpful when you hear back from the Atkins Uk to help clarify this for us.... or when our guru Jim returns tomorrow.

I think that the difference between the US & the UK makes things very confusing for people to understand Atkins with no definate clarification.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this matter until we get some definate clarification. xxx :D

OK Basically

EU

All products have the fibre subtracted from the carbs shown on the lable by law.

Rest Of the World
Some dosn't subtract the Fibre, particularly in the US, so if you are buying products from there or using a US recipe then yes,you do subtract the fibre from the carbs.

For anything else I'd read the lables very carefully, if you subtract and get a minus carb or very low carb contentthen I'd suggest it's already had the fibre subtracted.

Like Pataks Madras paste, you end up with about -3 carbs after you've deducted the fibre! confused the hell out of me LOL :D

Back