Very first time dieting!

lets.do.this

Hi everyone. Basically me and my boyfriend have decided that enough is enough and we want to lose some weight. We are both 22 and have been together since we were 16, so we have grown very comfortable with each other. We both used to be very skinny, myself even underweight, but through the stress and alcohol of uni we have both gained a lot of weight.

Neither of us have dieted seriously before and we have decided to give slimming world a go, but we can't afford to join so we are going to try and give it a go alone.

I have read through the post on here for newbies but I was just wondering if there was any extra advice for first time dieters and for people doing slimming world at home.

I also have a question about how many syns you get on a daily basis, I have seen some varying numbers. Some say 5-15 some say 10. Just wondering how you know how many you should have, or is it just preference.

Thanks for all the advice!

Hello and good luck! I have only been to a couple of classes myself so doing it from home does work- the thread for newbies is a great place to start and ask any questions if you're a bit unsure of anything.
Re syns, 5-15 is a guide- I usually have the full 15 so I don't feel deprived at all. 5 is a minimum really- you should have at least 5, some people find having around 10 keeps them satisfied but it really varies as to whether is boosts losses- in my experience, cutting back doesn't work (I get fed up more quickly and binge, and the losses aren't much if any better)
Start a food diary if you're sticking around- if you get stuck/don't lose/lack motivation, there will be someone on hand to help answer your queries and cheer you on!

I know you said that you can't afford to go to group, but I would recommend that you do, even if you go for just that one week. Your consultant will explain the plan to you and you will be given up to date literature which I found invaluable during the first few weeks. There's a free membership voucher in this weeks Woman's magazine if you do go down that route.

Failing that, like the previous poster said, read the newbie threads on here for an overview of the plan

Good luck whatever you decide to do :)

I know you said that you can't afford to go to group, but I would recommend that you do, even if you go for just that one week. Your consultant will explain the plan to you and you will be given up to date literature which I found invaluable during the first few weeks. There's a free membership voucher in this weeks Woman's magazine if you do go down that route.

Failing that, like the previous poster said, read the newbie threads on here for an overview of the plan

Good luck whatever you decide to do :)

This!

The magazine came out Tuesday so go and get it this weekend and go to a group next week. That's £1 for the mag, £5 for week 1 and you'll be given the SW pack and given the 'new member talk' which explains the plan clearly. Armed with the pack, your new knowledge, and this site, you'll be fine going it alone if you choose to do so.

Back