Visceral Fat

Greeneyes11

Gold Member
I have been on CD for just over 9 weeks now and have lost around 3 stone. I have those scales that tell you everything about yourself when you weigh yourself, like your BMI, your % of water, your fat %, your BMR, your muscle mass and also your visceral fat. Well with all the weight I have lost my visceral fat has only gone down from 11 to 9.... my daughter who is 2 stone less than me has a visceral fat level of 3, so why is my visceral fat not dropping more quickly (this is the fat that surrounds your internal organs)... surely on CD it should drop loads as you are not eating excess fat and are in fact burning fat.... any idea how to burn up this fat?

Hi Green Eyes

Funnily enough I only posted in my diary a couple of days ago how I recently had my visceral fat rating measured and it came out at a reading of 3. I don't know what it was when I started but my overall body fat % was in the mid 40s so it probably wouldn't have been that great.

I did strength excercises all the way through CD (e.g. toning moves like squats, lunges, push ups, stuff using light dumbbells etc) maybe that's helped as my muscle mass % reading now is good too?

Sorry can't be of any more help but wanted to reassure that CD doesn't do bad things to your health when followed correctly.

xx

what scales are these?

Well my scales tell you your body fat percentage and weirdly enough, i started at 37% and it went down to 32% but then sometimes it creeps up to 34% ? so i dont really concentrate on this because i think its rubbish cause ive lost weight not put any on so god knows why it showed an increase... Try not to worry about it just go on your inches and your scales numbers

The scales that measure that stuff do so by sending a small curent from one foot through the body to the other. You essentially complete the circuit between the two pads, and it measures the drop in the current from one to the other. This gives the machine a measure of your body's resistance, and as fat and muscle conduct differently, it then "interprets" this current change into a percentage split between muscle and fat based on your weight.

Unfortunately this gets all mucked up due to the fact that water is a VERY good conducter of electricity .... and what does this diet involve .... shed loads of water.

I have "measured" my BF% on these scales and it was nothing like (about 7% different) the measurement that was taken with calipers at the gym. I would use these as a guide only, but I would not take them as gospel ...

I have the Salter MiBody scales... my fat % has consistently gone down, so I think they are pretty accurate. My body fat at the moment is 32.9 and my muscle mass is 31.5 but it is going up slowly.. what is your muscle mass Serena, if you dont mind sharing...

I guess its the same concept as not being able to spotpoint weightloss it'll just take it from where it is. Keep going and at some point it has to shift.
I like these scales though, my cdc has got some and we get a print off every week, good for the weeks like last when I only dropped 1/2 pound but visceral and bmi dropped, muscle% up and fat% down. I'd of been a bit dissapointed but in honesty weightloss doesnt bother me now its definately about the toning and shape so it told me everything I wanted to hear. :)

I have the Salter MiBody scales... my fat % has consistently gone down, so I think they are pretty accurate. My body fat at the moment is 32.9 and my muscle mass is 31.5 but it is going up slowly.. what is your muscle mass Serena, if you dont mind sharing...

I'm not sure of my exact % of muscle mass because the print out I have splits it down further into water and bone and stuff, but it has a little bar graph type thing at the bottom and it shows me in a range that is slightly higher than average, and to be fair I do have some biceps on me now! :character00116:

Back