VLCD Boundary Pushers

I think that everyone's journey will be different.

But I do agree with everything on this thread.

I started on the second section of my weightloss 10days ago. Back on the first part of my journey, I relied on minimins almost every hour of every day. This time I have found I tend to avoid the site if I'm feeling weak, as the number of people talking about cheats/additions might knock me off course. That is a shame, as I got so much out of the site last time.

I just hope I'm strong enough to do this on my own.

I find that the people who drink alcohol annoy me, I feel so much better in myself for not drinking every weekend, and plus, alcohol whilst in Ketosis is dangerous.

I have to admit to caving in a couple of times on this diet, more now that I'm so close to the end, however, I am determined to hit target and maintain properly. I believe that as I am paying so much for this diet each week, I might as well stick to it, as otherwise its just money down the drain.

I did CD initially because of the ketosis aspect of it and cheating and not being 100% would ensure the plan didn't work. I feel I was sucessful in losing 6 stone in 18 weeks because of that. I did then slip into the SS+ and was having an extra egg because they were medium not large or a bit of cheese etc. Then I went off plan for 4 weeks and gained 9lb. I restarted and got back to where I was. I nearly fainted in work and that gave me a reason to come off. Since then I have eaten pure rubbish! I have been off for 8 weeks and gained a stone :-( .I am restarting tomorrow and I am going to do 4 CD products a day and I hope that will prevent me from feeling faint. I feel I need to take food completely out of the equation. The risk of creeping into cheating will hopefully be averted.

Grrrrrrrrrr just wrote a really long reply and lost it somehow before posting boooooo
Basicaly, I find it irresponsible to say its fine to drink alcohol while in ketosis because its dangerous, fact. However i think its ok if someone asks if its ok to have milk in coffee to say 'officially no, but i do and still happy with my losses', because milk wont take anyone out of ketosis, its just a few calories. Whereas if someone asked if it was ok to have the odd croissant or pasta bake (even if i'd been gorging on carbs and stayed in ketosis, which i haven't) I wouldn't say 'officially no, but i do and still happy with my losses' as i wouldn't want to throw people off course. I'm currently floating in between steps so could be considered a VLCD boundary pusher, I do hope i'm not bothering anyone!!! x

Ok i've just read that milk can kick some people out of ketosis so ive basically just proven the point of why not to advise anything other than whats in the book! oops!!!!!!! xxxxxx

This thread is a conversation I've been having with my mum. Since I've been back on CD I've had two lousy losses, even though I've been 100% perfect. So it really guts me that people claim to have had this and that and still have decent losses.

I cant stress enough how dangerous it is to drink any kind of alcohol while in ketosis, I won't go into the biology of it, but liver and brain damage are serious consequences. I'd never ever risk it!

Last edited:
I understand that if you are strong enough to go 100% on this diet month after month that you are getting a better deal, both money and weight-lose wise. However, not everyone is as strong willed/minded, determined, strict or dedicated as you may be able to be. I for one envy these people but certainly am not one.

Ive been really saddened by this thread. I find it a little hollier than thou. What comes across, unintentionally or not, is if you cant do it properly, dont do it at all. By eating off plan occasionally you are 'cheating' rather than making a choice which fits with your life and circumstances. If I want to be chastised for not being strong enough to SS through social events I would go to LL, for all the group therapy/ judgement.

There is a thread that newbies are often directed to by other members about the CD. How you are not being punished but you are making the choice to remove food from your diet. Why is this choice not allowed both ways?

Is it not okay that I am happy that the balance I have ensures that I lose weight, although I realise that if I were 100% week in week out my loses would be higher? I am so happy Ive simply found a balance which works for me. Im happy that you have found what works for you but Im not angry that you do it differently. I am jealous at times that your loses are larger, but I know, I can not do it.

In part, I agree with you in being unhappy with those who openly brag about losing weight despite bingeing, those who give poor experience disguised as advice to others and those who drink whilst in ketosis.

However, do those who have had a weak moment and fallen off the wagon not get to come online and be supported by others? It is NOT the end of the world. I do believe that tough love is called for but Ive not seen otherwise. Let alone seen anyone encouraging it, if this is the case then I do agree that it is unhelpful.

I just find it hurtful that is seems 'Your way or the highway'.
Different people, different circumstances, different experiences, different weight-loses. I do not judge anyone for their way, whatever their diet and I do not wish to be judged myself.

Can I not be happy for you that you can manage 100% month after month after month?

Can you not be happy that I am losing weight the way that works for me?

this thread is basically those that brag about not sticking to plan and still loosing. we all make decisions to do what we want, what's best for us at the time. i don't see planned time outs as cheating because you don't really come on here and say... by the way i went out the other night for a meal and i still lost 6lb! it tends not to happen. it's those that advocate cheating and still loosing that are causing problems for others. you really don't know how damaging things like that can be when you're struggling and hear that someone has still had a good loss and cheated.

mybodyisacage that's not what I was saying at all. Planned lapses are actually a healthy thing to do on a diet like this as you're taking charge of your eating habits.

My real complaint is with people who are on SS or SS+ and ritualistically "cheat" with junk food and alcohol or give bad advice to other SSers. I personally do feel you shouldn't be doing to the lower stages of this diet if you can't stick to the plan at least most of the time - you're simply not really getting the benefits of Step 1 and Step1a if you can't stay away from non-approved foods or alcohol and you'd probably find a better balance on another diet or on a different step of CD. I don't think that people who can go 100% are better than those who can't and my tone was certainly not intended to be holier-than-thou - just frustrated.

Look at it from the other side: I, and others, stick to the diet 100% and we have weeks where we have great losses and weeks where we have "poor" losses, then we come on here and see people talking about boozing at the weekend or having a take-away on a Friday night and having a better loss than us. It can be tough when you've given up conventional food entirely and then see people who are "cheating" doing better than you in the same way you're finding it tough to go 100%.

I've read through all the posts again, and I can't see anyone advocating a 'my way or the highway' attitude. I know I went out of my way to talk about the most important thing being people finding a way for the diet to work for them.

It's hurtful, then, to not have that acknowledged. Mybodyisacage's post makes it seem like everyone who had taken to task those who advocate the people who brag about great losses when going off plan, has been attacking those who feel the need not to SS. I can't see where that attack has happened. :(

I simply meant it as pandora has twice now in this thread told me that she thinks I shouldnt be on this diet. Surely that is my choice? That is all.

I knew that most people would disagree with my post but as this thread was so one sided I thought I would post a different point of view so maybe people could see it from a different angle.

I have also agreed with you about disliking those who brag about loses whilst openly cheating and boozing, that is not in dispute.

each to thier own!!..if ur happy with ur losses and u have to tweek the diet here and there to make it work for you then fine...and if you have "cheated" and lost.....well then ur lucky. i have been on this diet three times seriously and havent really put any of my weight back on...but i do every now and again have a meal and here is the reason....constipation!!... awful to say it but i ended up in hospital because i wasnt going at all, even with the supplements and everything...but on the whole the diet works for me and have the losses that i wouldnt get on any other diet, so why shoudlnt i stay on it,i now can tell when i need a meal and just have one and get it out of the way and carry on...agree with alcohol comments tho....very dangerous and no need for it.

I agree with mybodyisacage's post. No need for people to get hurt though. This is a support forum. Why can't we just try and support each other whether we are good at sticking to it perfectly, or not.

For the people who manage to stuck to it 100% and don't want to read about slip ups there is the 100% page.

For everyone else well done for whatever losses you are getting. All losses are positive.

I don't really care whether anyone else sticks to the diet properly. I mean, I hope they do, because I want you all to succeed. We all know how much it sucks to be fat! But if someone chooses to go off-centre with a snack, or if they have a planned break, or if they have a total meltdown and eat 25 packets of Wotsits (this may be me in a few weeks ;)), I don't think it's my place to berate them or encourage them. Most people who meltdown and end up binging probably feel bad enough without any tough love. I'm not going to be jealous of anyone's losses, because my turn will come. Some day I'll be the one posting "finally at goal!" and I really hope that on that day people will be able to say "good for you". I've got a planned break coming up in a few weeks, as I'm going on a fortnight's all-inclusive holiday, booked way before I even contemplated CD. I've ummed and ahhed about taking the break, but at the end of the day this is food I've already paid for, vs two weeks of CD packs that I'd have to buy. I'm worried about the effect it'll have on my weight but that's life, I guess. I will eat sensibly while I'm there and hope for the best.

We're all different. Habitual cheaters are basically having some days of SS+ or 810 scattered between their SS days. I don't think it's bad or any less commendable. The whole point of CD is to re-evaluate your eating habits, and your relationship to food. We're not all going to end with the same evaluations. I wouldn't let the people whose journeys differ from yours get you down. If someone else wants to eat a piece of cheese tonight, that's on their own head/stomach! I'd love to be doing the same, but I know I can't. Plus, I see the diet as a regiment. If I were to eat a small piece of something, I'd see it as a failure. I'd have to "begin" again. Some people see a snack as a way of making sure they stay on the diet, even if they're wobbling the rules a little. The only thing that does concern me, like many of you have said, are the people who drink, even if it's just a one off. Liver damage is not something you can brush off. The whole reason we're all on CD, and not just eating 400 random calories a day, is because we want to lose weight healthily, and protect our bodies. Going out on the lash totally negates that effort.

I simply meant it as pandora has twice now in this thread told me that she thinks I shouldnt be on this diet. Surely that is my choice? That is all.

Firstly I haven't told anyone they shouldn't be on this diet - I have said I believe people who can't go a week without cheating on SS or SS+ would be better off on one of the other CD steps, but I'd never presume to tell anyone what they should or should not be doing with their diet or bodies. I also said this on the first page...

As I say it's more likely to do with me resenting people not taking their commitment as seriously as I feel they should be, but what's right for me and what's right for someone else isn't necessarily going to be the same.

I don't think you can blame me for being cross with people who ritualistically cheat. I mean who can't go 7 days without going off plan, who brag about doing so, who drink, who pass on bad advice etc. SSing is hard enough without someone yukking it up that they managed to have a take-away and still lose more weight than you did eating nothing but shakes and soups.

I'd like to clarify: there is nothing wrong with occasionally falling off the wagon. CD is a hard diet and it takes a lot of strength of willpower and the right personality type to SS for months without cheating occasionally. I'm not trying to make people who have the odd meal or "cheat" feel bad. It's the people who do it all the time and pass their bad habits on to others that annoy me.

Im just asking a question about the alcohol thing.I dont cheat by the way,but here is my thing i just dont understand,it is very easy to throw yourself out of ketosis as in eat something you shouldnt so why would ppl be risking drinking alcohol while in ketosis,I am not by the way advocating eating and drinking,but i think that post refers to diabetic ketosis which is different to the ketosis we are trying to acheive. Im just curious if anyone knows the answer to this and where that post has come from .I have no point of view either way on this thread i think i said in an earlier post I dont read if ppl go off plan as it might throw me off thats it I do whats right for me x

I think people need to be careful also with thinking that one carb meal will take them out of ketosis. If I have been in ketosis for more than a good few days, it takes me at least 3 days to come out of ketosis with eating!

Diabetic Ketoacidosis | Doctor | Patient UK Not the same thing

diabetic ketosis - research shows that a diet like this can cure! Many thought it was weight loss surgery that just did this in a very short time, but a vlcd can do it too. Not sure why it isnt made public knowledge, but guess the meds keep someone in a job! ;)

andju said:
Im just asking a question about the alcohol thing.I dont cheat by the way,but here is my thing i just dont understand,it is very easy to throw yourself out of ketosis as in eat something you shouldnt so why would ppl be risking drinking alcohol while in ketosis,I am not by the way advocating eating and drinking,but i think that post refers to diabetic ketosis which is different to the ketosis we are trying to acheive. Im just curious if anyone knows the answer to this and where that post has come from .I have no point of view either way on this thread i think i said in an earlier post I dont read if ppl go off plan as it might throw me off thats it I do whats right for me x

This might help with the effects of drinking alcohol while in ketosis.

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-d...ation/26311-dangers-alcohol-when-ketosis.html

Back