VLCD Sequel: Electric Boogaloo

Thank you :) I mean, I probably need to do something to shift my attitude to food when I do get back to eating it - I'm not sure leaving chocolate on the coffee table is a long-term solution, but it'll do for now. I definitely find my attitude to food shifts when I'm on a VLCD, but the problem is it's too easy to snap back, I think (if you're me at least) once you start introducing food again. But I'm determined to do this right this time. Second time lucky and all that.

I'm 5'2 - so apparently my healthy weight is 7-8 stone. I mean, I don't know if I'll get there. Frankly, at this point I'll settle for 12 which is merely overweight instead of horribly obese. But I guess I'll see how things feel when I get down there. Which is a looooooong way away!

You’re the tall one round here then :rotflmao:

.....I just about make 5’ 0’ on a good day!!

My ‘ideal’ weight is supposedly under 7 stone........not going to happen, ever!! :classic_roll_eyes:

I would be pleased at 9 stone, and ecstatic at 8 :classic_big_grin:

It can totally happen if you stick to plan.

The first time I did a VLCD (and, really, you should only do a VLCD once in your life so shame on me - this time will be my last, as God is my witness *Scarlet O'Hara* pose) I was about your starting weight and I got down to 9 stone.

So if you want it, and you focus on that goal and don't let anything knock you off course, you can get there. I promise you.

That's partially what's fuelling my determination this time: I know this works, I know it can be done, and I know I can do it. Rawr!

All your dahls are belong to us!
I had lots of these, they arrived at a great time for me. Ultimately they were the only 'meal' packs that made any real sense to me. The rest were a massive faff, and just as disappointing. The pizza was a fun evening activity occasionally, but a pain in the butt to be honest. After a bit of a break, I may even order dahl pots back in the real food world, they were that good for something so low in cals and high in vits etc.. But not yet. Need soem healthy dahl space first.

Well, this was fun.

Deciding to have a Exante pack for lunch (hah) I was going to treat myself to a creamy coconut shake. Unfortunately the packaging of the creamy coconut shake is pretty much identical to that of ... spaghetti bolognese. Except for the words "creamy coconut" or "spaghetti bolognese" respectively.

So, anyway, I got my shaker, filled it up with about 250 ml of water, tipped in the powder (not really paying much attention to the colour / nature of the powder), gave it a good shake and...

Well, thankfully I didn't try to drink any.

Currently recovering with a toffee, nut and bullshit bar (also by Exante). It's fine. Not very nice but after the prospect of cold sag bol in a shaker anything looks delicious.

I think I'd have nuked that, let it sit for a bit, and finished the review properly... :) :) :)

You’re the tall one round here then :rotflmao:

.....I just about make 5’ 0’ on a good day!!

My ‘ideal’ weight is supposedly under 7 stone........not going to happen, ever!! :classic_roll_eyes:
I would be pleased at 9 stone, and ecstatic at 8 :classic_big_grin:

Looks like we all pretty much weigh the same as I'm currently 15st8lbs(?) I'll just be getting off the ride a wee bit sooner, however much we have to lose, it doesn't make it easier - the work put in is essentially the same and it is easier when you have like people supporting you!

Gee, well why don't you try it :p

I can review the spaghetti made as intended if you like?

Add extra water, cook it for longer, rest it for longer. Also nuke or steam some diced chillies, a diced tomato, as much spinach as you like, garlic, and a few button mushrooms. Mix the two together in the bowl used to cook the pack. Let it all clot a bit. Scoff.

Verdict? -- 1/5 or 4/5, depending on your mood.

NEXT!

Also I'm trying to ... teach my brain that it is okay to leave food uneaten. Even if the food is nice and I want to eat it.

I am always going to struggle with this. I have received a box of praline and truffle chocolates as a late birthday present and also was sent a dairy milk in the post by another office. Both have gone in my work locker. I see them everyday but manage to think very little about them. I look forward to when I can have them but do wonder how I will fare when I can and an entire box is in front of me. I would normally just eat the whole thing at once. Will I be able to eat one or two and then leave it for another day? I still don’t know the answer to that one.

Since we’re sharing, I’m 5’2” but prefer 160cm as I feel taller that way. I think my ideal weight is probably 9 stone but 9 stone 7lbs seemed okay for me, especially as the plastic surgeon said he would cut approx 7lbs off me. I would then be sat at 9 stone. I’m hoping it’s the muscle that allows me the extra weight. You guys have got me thinking and wondering if I should eventually be lower. Something to ponder 🙂

One step at a time. You can't eat an elephant in one gulp.

Hey, I not only ate the elephant, I ordered a second elephant and ate that too...

Omg, you two are cracking me up.

But FF is right: this stuff takes time (maybe less so for our Gym Bunny who is already healthy) and my feeling is the BMI thing is a very rough tool. When I was 9 stone before (which put me at a size 8-10), I felt that was plenty thin enough for me. So while the NHS may say I should be 8 I'm going to see how I feel when I get down there - because I know my body and I know what feels too heavy for it (i.e. right now) and I know what feels about right (9-10 stone, I reckon).

I'm shooting for 12 stone as a starting point as a starting point. I shouldn't stop before then because 12st is the overweight/obese border for my height. But I'll re-assess how I'm feeling, not only size/weight wise, but health wise when I get there.

In the mean time, looking forward to many happy adventures in diet products. ;)

Goodness me, time does pass differently in VLCD world! I've now finished my crazy week at work, and missed another two days, during which I did undertake my assignment as requested to try the apple crumble, but things have moved on considerably since then!

So, Cap'n Nasturtiums, I had the apple crumble this morning for breakfast. It smells nice, kind of apple-y and cinnamon-y, and it has little blobs of dried apple floating in it, which are yummier than they sound. However, it falls into the granola / porridge trap of having way too much water in it. It was definitely a warm shake with chewy blobs. I'm going to try it again with a lot less water in it - the granola is a million times better with about the half the water in it. It may have tasted better if I wasn't eating alongside four other adults having eggs and white pudding and toast...which I'd cooked for them!

On the subject of packing bars, one of the things I love about Exante is that I can go everywhere with a smallish bag and carry my breakfast, lunch dinner and snack with me. It's sometimes a little embarrassing to say 'I'm not having food, I'm eating this tiny bar instead', but I just say 'I'm doing a weird health kick thing' and leave it at that.

Yay, a Watermelon! And thank you for trying the apple crumble for the rest of us - I might get it, actually. It sounds okay. And I generally find myself adjusting the water for most of the products - I prefer the shakes with more, but the breakfast foods are way better with less. Or with *wild eyes* almond milk!

Also it's incredibly disciplined and awesome of you that you cook for others while being on plan. I am frankly free of that burden (as my partner, in support of me, looks after herself) so the worst I have to steel myself against is the smell of other people's food and having a few snacks lying around.

And, for sure, VLCD are super handy: like getting to the point where you feel you will absolutely stick to them is a bit tough but they are unbelievably convenient because all meals are taken care of and you don't have to think about anything. Except, *cough*, remember your diet products.

Happy Sunday squirrel friends!

I weighed myself in this morning and came in at 15st 1lb.

I know I said last week that I was hoping for 15st flat but that's pretty arbitrary, to be honest. I've lost 3lb for Week 3 and I am damn happy with that.

I think when you're over-fat and the idea of not being over-fat is so appealing that you tend to want instant change but a VLCD is not a race. I mean, at a super conservative estimate, if I continue to lose at a rate of 2lb a week ... from now,12 weeks on Exante and I will have lost 31lb.

Which is not at all to be sneezed at.

Congrats to you! Nice to know we’re all melting away. I always figure that while nothing is truly guaranteed, you’re more likely to lose a minimum of 2lbs a week on a VLCD (we hope for more) than a conventional diet which is more like ‘up to’. Mentally fast forwarding a few weeks/months is a good reminder as to why we chose this route :)

Awesome stuff!

I tried the apple crumble with 100ml of water yesterday (instead of 160 I think it was supposed to be). It's much thicker - more like a warm angel delight than a hot shake. Definitely worth trying, I'd say.

Really? I'm amazed.

Back