Watch those carbs!!

abcdebony

Just a word of warning at the beginning of the week I had my 4 packs plus veg and milk and I was knocked out of ketosis, I added up my daily carbs and it was around 85/ 90!!
It has taken me the full 3 days to get back into keto and given that I only seem to lose 2lb per week it's no surprise that I havnt lost any weight so far this week.
I know there have been posts about this recently but please watch those high carb packs. The spaghetti Bol is deadly at 20!!
Gonna have to plan in advance from now on!

Just a word of warning at the beginning of the week I had my 4 packs plus veg and milk and I was knocked out of ketosis, I added up my daily carbs and it was around 85/ 90!!
It has taken me the full 3 days to get back into keto and given that I only seem to lose 2lb per week it's no surprise that I havnt lost any weight so far this week.
I know there have been posts about this recently but please watch those high carb packs. The spaghetti Bol is deadly at 20!!
Gonna have to plan in advance from now on!

You should still lose weight tho-ketosis mainly serves to stave off the hunger pangs, and burn fat-you'd still lose on less than 800 cals a day

However, if you are getting into ketosis then your body is using the stored carbs for fuel rather than fat - so although you'll lose weight (due to the water used in storing the gylcogen) you are unlikely to lose fat until you are back in ketosis. It shouldn't take too long to get back in though if it was one day at 90g as there won't be much glycogen stored.

This is so interesting. I lose weight really slowly anyway, and have been getting very low losses with S & S (compared with expectations, anyway) and I do have a lot of weight to lose. Now, granted, there have been some weeks when I haven't been 100%, but still. Thing is, the only thing I've been having are Spag Bol and Spicy Spaghetti (those are the ones I really like, it figures).

Think I am really carb sensitive (have PCOS too which causes issues with insulin resistance). Hmm. I wonder if the carb count on these packs could be a potential issue? I hadn't even considered checking the count or anything, as thought it was all taken care of and there were no restrictions with the packs?

Thisisit! said:
This is so interesting. I lose weight really slowly anyway, and have been getting very low losses with S & S (compared with expectations, anyway) and I do have a lot of weight to lose. Now, granted, there have been some weeks when I haven't been 100%, but still. Thing is, the only thing I've been having are Spag Bol and Spicy Spaghetti (those are the ones I really like, it figures).

Think I am really carb sensitive (have PCOS too which causes issues with insulin resistance). Hmm. I wonder if the carb count on these packs could be a potential issue? I hadn't even considered checking the count or anything, as thought it was all taken care of and there were no restrictions with the packs?

The spicy spaghetti is fine - it's the spag bol which is higher. If you have cheated at all it can have a huge effect so I would assume that first rather than looking at the carbs in the packs.

Thanks. Yeah, I haven't been 100% every week, but I wouldn't have thought the effect of that to be 'huge' especially when it's been protein foods/ and well under calorie amounts for loss. But then, I'd also have thought most people don't end up being 100%, 100% of the time, I know it's the optimum, but I'm thinking 99% of the time is better than 0% of the time, eh.

Thisisit! said:
Thanks. Yeah, I haven't been 100% every week, but I wouldn't have thought the effect of that to be 'huge' especially when it's been protein foods/ and well under calorie amounts for loss. But then, I'd also have thought most people don't end up being 100%, 100% of the time, I know it's the optimum, but I'm thinking 99% of the time is better than 0% of the time, eh.

I'm absolutely sure you're right! I'm quite an all or nothing person so I was 100% throughout my 11 months (although I did have a protein meal last Christmas when I was supposed to be on 4 packs a day - rebel!). Whilst that helps in losing weight I think then learning to maintain can be harder for all or nothing people because the simple rules go away and suddenly you have to cope in complicated scenarios. With being mostly on plan but a small amount of flexibility you may find that it is easier to transition into maintenance.

As you say, if your extras were protein based then I doubt that they will have made a big difference. Good luck on the rest of your journey!

Wow, that's amazing 100% for all of that time, absolutely brilliant. Wish I had that willpower, and it paid off in the results you got. Whereas I, on the other hand, have been messing about...forever. Any tips on how you got your head so straight on following 100%, without deviation?

Maintenance, hah! I wish. But I see what you mean, it must be tough after following such a set plan for so long get used to having more flexibility again.

The truth is, I lose so slowly, I know fine well that I shouldn't be having any extras, but, in all honesty, if I didn't I'd be likely to chuck it all in. I have the best of intentions, but then...

Thisisit! said:
Wow, that's amazing 100% for all of that time, absolutely brilliant. Wish I had that willpower, and it paid off in the results you got. Whereas I, on the other hand, have been messing about...forever. Any tips on how you got your head so straight on following 100%, without deviation?

Maintenance, hah! I wish. But I see what you mean, it must be tough after following such a set plan for so long get used to having more flexibility again.

The truth is, I lose so slowly, I know fine well that I shouldn't be having any extras, but, in all honesty, if I didn't I'd be likely to chuck it all in. I have the best of intentions, but then...

Everyone needs to lose weight in the right way for them. I had never been able to do it before because I hadn't found the right way for me. You have obviously found a way which works for you and which I think will help you during maintenance. That's great! Getting my head into 100% I think was a combination of things... I have type 2 diabetes and my sugar was out of control. I heard about a study where they put diabetics on a 600 calorie a day diet and lots of them came off their meds. My medication was increased. My friend told me about LL and that it was 600 calories a day. All three of these things happened in a few weeks and so I decided to give it a go. After 6 weeks I knew I could stick to it and that I would get to goal - even though I had over 9 stone to lose. For me it was helpful to do the first 6 months on 4 packs no veg and no milk. It was like giving up food and I think I needed to do that. The last few months I swapped to 3 packs plus a meal and upped the calories to 800 a day. I am good at commitment and I made a commitment to myself to do it.

I am good at giving myself credit. I made a list of all the things I wanted along the way and looked at them every week to see if I'd reached any yet. They were things like each stone lost, 25% of the weight I wanted to lose, wearing knee high boots, fitting in a hotel bathrobe etc. That meant that I always felt like a success - I was achieving things all the time.

Maintenance is much more difficult for me but 6 months on and I'm only 9 lbs higher than I want to be - so quite a success really if I think of it that way! I have taken up exercise with a vengence and now have exercise goals that have replaced my weight loss ones. I am good with structure and it would have been better for me to have had a food plan in place for when I reached goal. I've worked it through now though and know what I need to do to make it work for me.

Good luck!

Everyone needs to lose weight in the right way for them. I had never been able to do it before because I hadn't found the right way for me. You have obviously found a way which works for you and which I think will help you during maintenance. That's great! Getting my head into 100% I think was a combination of things... I have type 2 diabetes and my sugar was out of control. I heard about a study where they put diabetics on a 600 calorie a day diet and lots of them came off their meds. My medication was increased. My friend told me about LL and that it was 600 calories a day. All three of these things happened in a few weeks and so I decided to give it a go. After 6 weeks I knew I could stick to it and that I would get to goal - even though I had over 9 stone to lose. For me it was helpful to do the first 6 months on 4 packs no veg and no milk. It was like giving up food and I think I needed to do that. The last few months I swapped to 3 packs plus a meal and upped the calories to 800 a day. I am good at commitment and I made a commitment to myself to do it.

I am good at giving myself credit. I made a list of all the things I wanted along the way and looked at them every week to see if I'd reached any yet. They were things like each stone lost, 25% of the weight I wanted to lose, wearing knee high boots, fitting in a hotel bathrobe etc. That meant that I always felt like a success - I was achieving things all the time.

Maintenance is much more difficult for me but 6 months on and I'm only 9 lbs higher than I want to be - so quite a success really if I think of it that way! I have taken up exercise with a vengence and now have exercise goals that have replaced my weight loss ones. I am good with structure and it would have been better for me to have had a food plan in place for when I reached goal. I've worked it through now though and know what I need to do to make it work for me.

Good luck!

Weasey surely your 9lb is now muscle ?! You're an exercise demon! Bet you're ripped girl!

kellmo said:
Weasey surely your 9lb is now muscle ?! You're an exercise demon! Bet you're ripped girl!

Ah - no! I've taken the muscle into acount - there's 9lbs of non-muscle which has to go! And not exactly ripped either!!

Back