Water Flavourings and Mousse Mix Quantities

Question for cd counsellor

why is it each cdc gives out mousse or flavourings at different weeks??????

If I remember rightly, it's because it can delay you getting into ketosis.

Ketosis is weird. One of those things that is easier to stay in, than get in in the first place.

Question for cd counsellor

why is it each cdc gives out mousse or flavourings at different weeks??????

Thats a very good question, one that I cannot answer and the reason I posted the thread.

All CDC's are advised that bars, waterflavourings and mousse mix should not be introduced until week three. The basic diet should be used until ketosis is well established.

On page 2 of the Sole Source booklet the last paragraph does say a teaspoon of waterflavouring in one litre per day. This covers both the fruity and savoury variety, although the savoury one is 1 teaspoon to a 250 ml of water. On the same page you will see under Allowable Fluids for Sole Source the last bullet point states Cambridge Water Flavourings (after two weeks).

Last edited:
Thankyou kd and linda

were would we be without you both

xxxxbiltsyxxxx

Thankyou kd and linda

were would we be without you both

xxxxbiltsyxxxx

Ah, Linda's the authority on CD :)

I am pretty sure about why you have to leave it a couple of weeks though (reason I mentioned above).

It's probably similar to why Atkins have a very strict induction.

You know with the water flavouring. Would it really hurt if you had two teaspoons a day in 3 litres?

I emailed my CDC about the flavourings/mousse issue, and this is what she said:-

Yes this is true, however this does not apply to everyone. What I would recommend is not to have the Mix-a-Mousse everyday but a couple of times a week. Having the water flavourings is fine, but just perhaps on the the day you have your Mix-a-Mousse try and drink plain water.

Sometimes what happens is that when you have been doing the diet for a while, your weight loss might stay the same as the previous week, this is can occur with some people as your body loss goes up and down. What Cambridge recommend is that when your weight loss is stagnant or only a small amount and you might be suffering from hunger, then cut down on your water flavourings and not to have Mix-a-Mousse on the same day. You said you have been feeling fine though, so just carry on having the water flavourings and cut down on the Mix-a-Mousse.

Having the water flavourings and the Mix-a-Mousse when I was doing the diet did not affect my weight loss at all.

Good job I asked, as I was having mousse every day! :( I much prefer the mousse to the flavourings, but there you are. (My CDC lost five stone, so I'm taking plenty of notice of what she says!)

The guidance I have posted above is the current guidance direct from CD Head Office.

Whilst I appreciate some people are more carb sensitive than others, is it worth the risk?

Also by having a mousse and waterflavouring each day you are adding extra calories, which may seem small but on a VLCD a few calories over the limit can make an impact on weight loss and hunger.

Re the weight stalling (plateaux), this is quite common it normally happens in the third week of the diet or around TOTM for women. The body has a readjustment and although continues to burn fat holds on to water for a few days. However, slow weightloss or no weightloss and hunger outside these times are normally indicators that something is affecting the results.

This can be extremely demotivating and in some cases the diet has been compromised.

It is only recent history, about 5 years, that these products have been used. For the first 20 years it was water, water or water only.

The addition of the flavourings and mousse have made the diet more bearable for a lot of people, however, care does need to be taken in case you happen to be one of the people it affects.

I will also mention curry powder here, Head Office have said you can add 1g of curry powder to soups with the proviso that it could promote hunger in some.

I suppose the final decision is an individual one, CDC's should only give out the correct guidance, clients may choose to experiment outside of those rules. What suits one could adversely affect another.

So glad I found this!!

I am a newbie on here... plucked up the courage to join after seeing there where a few guys on here too :)
Anyway, just coming up to finishing my second week, but on monday there my CDC gave me the water flavouring and when asked how much I could have she said as much as I wanted!! I have since monday consumed a fair ammount and now worried for my weigh in on Monday, my best friend is also on the diet with me and was given bars for her second week too!
Anyway thanks for clearing that up and I will now do it as per instructions above... I am so so dertimned to do SS 100% AND gutted I may have ruined it for myself now!

Question for the CDC - Once the shakes are made up, can you freeze them? I have a very weak gag reflex and can't seem to swallow a full shake, after about three mouthfuls my throat says no but if I could freeze them I won't have the same problem.
Thanks x

No you can't freeze the shakes but you could halve the pack and make up with 4fl oz of water then make the remainder up later.

Or you could use mousse mix?

The thicker it is the more problems I have, its the consistency as much as the taste. I'll just have to grin and bear it! the soups won't be as much of a problem so may try swapping them if my body refuses to play the game. Thanks for your reply though! x

The thicker it is the more problems I have, its the consistency as much as the taste. I'll just have to grin and bear it! the soups won't be as much of a problem so may try swapping them if my body refuses to play the game. Thanks for your reply though! x

Why don't you half the powder and double the amount of liquid you use, theres no set rule on the amount of water that you use to dilute, as long as your able to drink them within a short enough period of time, or just double the amount of water on its own :D

Hi to all cd users, ive been following cd for 19 wks now and ive lost nearly 8 stones but still im doing good talking about drinks,are u allowed to drink diet coke? and how many? my cdc said u can drink them but dont know how many can anybody help.good look to every one who is using cd.

I might try halving the powder but doubling the water. I've just had a porridge one as an early lunch seeing as I missed my breakfast one and I loved that and I will be ok with the soups. I will try halving and more water if not I'll go to my cdc and swap some. Thanks for your help! x

My CDC said you can use the mix a mousse and freeze it so it's like an ice- cream
Has anyone tried this and is it nice
I don't like mousse so don't want to buy it for that reason only

I was told that the products weren't designed to be frozen so doing so could affect the vitamin content and advised against it. I have however frozen a chocolate tetra pack to sample it....quite nice, but this was just a treat and not something I'll do often as we need those vitamins on this diet! Some people recommend blending the shake with ice, or part freezing the water before you make the shake, which makes it ice cold and slightly thicker when you blend it up.

My CDC said you can use the mix a mousse and freeze it so it's like an ice- cream
Has anyone tried this and is it nice
I don't like mousse so don't want to buy it for that reason only

I've had mixed results using mix-a-mousse and most of them on the runny side. I have also tried what you have mentioned, it didn't go very well at all.

If you have a smoothie maker you can use part water and part ice and get really good results. I used 8 large ice cubes and some water earlier and it came out fairly close to ice cream. It was actually an accident, as I intended it to be a cold drink, but had to eat it with a spoon. It was a pleasant surprise and I will be doing many more of them from now on. :D

In this hot weather - I've made ice lollies with the water flavouring and its been a god send!!! Get something to crunch on and also something cool to eat!!! mini x

i freeze my tetra for approx 2-3 hours then drink it it is thick and cold and melts on your tongue as you drink, flavour tastes better too, and i make ice-lollies out of water flavor, and sometimes have icecream from tetra. xx
dont know what affect these have but nice xx

Hey guys, im new here - so sorry for the lame post (no pictures etc)

im on day 12 - had 8lb loss in my first week. Was amazed!!

all was going fine untill yesterday.

had some chicken for dinner instead of my soup as i missed eating. didnt add vegtables as had none in.

the breast was about 150g and i put it in a bit of a marinade of toasted sesame seed oil, soy sauce, oregano, onion salt and paprika.

today im sure i dropped out of ketosis - starving all day, really grumpy and really didnt sleep very well last night.

drinking lots of water - at least 4l a day BUT have been using water flavouring since the begining. so im gonna kick that.

ive been testing my ketones today and still really low. im worried im not going to recover and next wiegh in will be a disappointment.

Back