Week 1 stuck to it 100% but sts. Why?

Nickynack

I've even had herbal tea at work so that I don't go over my milk allowance.

I've kept my food diary all week and I'm 10 1/2 syns short of the full 105 per week.

I've done the diet many times before but this time I'm doing it from home.

The only thing I've done differently is that I've been using syns on scan bran cake which I've made two of last week. I've syned it carefully though.

I'm worried now that the weetabix bars might not be a healthy extra anymore.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. I'm doing it from home because I'm skint so I've no consultant to ask x

Dont get too disheartened, I only lost half a pound when I first started but had bigger losses over the following weeks. Just a point on the herbal tea, someone advised me that drinking herbal and green tea helped with water retention and therefore assisted weight loss so being eager to try anything religiously drank 3/4/5 cups a day and then was very shocked when I gained 2 pounds, the consultant of the group that I moved to thought that I had retained it. Maybe this could have contributed slighty?!
Just stay focused and you will get the results :)

I've even had herbal tea at work so that I don't go over my milk allowance.

I've kept my food diary all week and I'm 10 1/2 syns short of the full 105 per week.

I've done the diet many times before but this time I'm doing it from home.

The only thing I've done differently is that I've been using syns on scan bran cake which I've made two of last week. I've syned it carefully though.

I'm worried now that the weetabix bars might not be a healthy extra anymore.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. I'm doing it from home because I'm skint so I've no consultant to ask x

Can you post your food diary on here for us to have a look at?

Sure, here it is......

Day 1 EE

Breakfast
Pineapple, mullerlight.

Lunch
Chicken, boiled egg, boiled potato, cottage cheese with pineapple (fat free), Salad, light salad cream 4tbsp (6 syns)

Dinner
Salmon, rice, salad 400g heinz macaroni cheese (12 syns)

Healthy extras
350 skimmed milk and a toffee weetabix bar.

Total syns 18 (I know it's over. I make up for it later, or so I thought)
-----------------------------

Day 2 EE

Breakfast
Grilled bacon (fat off), egg in fry light, i tsp ketchup (1 syn).

Lunch
Broccoli and cheese pasta n sauce (1/2 syn), banana, mullerlight.

Dinner
Steak (fat off), tomato, peas,mushrooms, potato, 3 tsp butter (6 syns), rice pudding (made from rice, water, sweetener and mullerlight).

Snacks
Seafood sticks, 2 laughing cow delli squares (3 syns), lean cooked beef and ham.

Total syns 10 1/2
---------------------------

Day 3 EE

Breakfast
Bacon grilled (fat off), egg in frylight, tomatoes, chilli.

Lunch
Macaroni cheese past n sauce (2 syns), mullerlight.

Dinner
Extra lean minced beef, onions, garlic, tinned tomatoes, stock cube, lasagne sheets, fat free fromage frais, salad, fat free dressing, rice pudding made as before.

Healthy extras
350ml skimmed milk, 42g reduced fat cheese.

Snacks
Salt and vinegar snack a jack bag (5 1/2 syns), tube of cadbury's chocos (12 1/2 syns)

Total syns 20
-------------------------------

Day 4 EE

Breakfast
Bacon, egg tomato and chilli.

Lunch
Cooked lean beef, mullerlight, banana.

Dinner
Homemade sweet and sour sauce (4 syns), chicken, carrot, pepper, garlic, boiled rice.

Healthy extras
350ml skimmed milk, toffee weetabix bar.

Snacks
2 x caramel snack a jack disks (5 syns)

Total syns 9
-------------------------------------

Day 5 EE

Breakfast
Banana, blueberries

Lunch
Lamb shank in mint gravy (asda's finest) (3 syns), potato, asparagus, broccoli, carrots. Strawberry mousse (made from quark, fat free fromage frais and suggar free jelly) (1 1/2 syns).

Dinner
Syn free falafel (from free food recipe book), scran bran cake cut into 1 syn pieces, 4 pieces (4 syns)

Healthy extras
350ml Skimmed milk, 24g porridge.

Snacks
2 x morrision's caramel rice cake (4 syns), options (2 syns)

Total syns for day 14 1/2
----------------------------------

Day 6 EE

Breakfast
Banana

Lunch
Ham and leek pasta n sauce (1 syn). free falafel, blueberries, mullerlight, scan bran cake (2 syns).

Dinner
Tuna in brine, tomatoes, garlic, capers, onions, pasta, scan bran cake (4 1/2 syns)

Healthy extras
350 skimmed milk, 28g parmesan.

No snacks.

Total syns for day 7 1/2
------------------------------------

Day 7 EE

Breakfast
Bacon, Egg

Lunch
Nandos chicken breast portion (6 syns), nandos chicken leg portion (2 syns), rice, corn on the bob, 1 tbsp hot sauce (1/2 syn).

Dinner
Chicken, bacon, peppers, onion, garlic, scan bran cake (3 syns)

Healthy extras
350ml skimmed milk, 5 laughing cow deli squares.

Total syns for day 12 1/2
-----------------------------------

Total syns for week = 92

I'm totally confused.

With regards to the herbal tea, I'm literally just having 3 cups a day, which I would normally have as tea or coffee with milk.

I would say that for EE it doesn't look like you have enough superfree? It should be a 1/3 of every meal?

2 things that I can immediately think:

1 is that you're having 1/3 superfree with your main meal every day, but only sometimes, ratherthan always, the other meals.

Also, you seem quite often to have 2 Healthy Extra As, rather than 1 A and 1 B. It's important to have both, as one gives you calcium, the other fibre. So if you have milk and cheese, you're getting good calcium but no fibre.
Have you got an up to date list of Healthy Extra B choices?

I'm sure others will chime in with helpful replies, it looks to me like you are having 2 HE A choices and no B choice on some EE days? I am no expert and I know SW say that not having HEs doesn't affect weight loss, but I wonder if missing the fibre from the B and adding extra fat in the extra A might be contributing?

I agree, you may not be having a third superfree with every meal. Also I find that some people can get away using their syns weekly but it doesn't suit everyone. I know it doesn't seem to work for me so have to try not to go over 15 in a day (doesn't always work but that's the plan!). Good luck for next week.

was just reading through the comments and the diary and it looks a bit like mine - how do you make sure you get 1/3 superfree in breakfast for example? would it be perhaps fruit for breakfast, veg for lunch and fruit to snack on? thanks

debtin said:
was just reading through the comments and the diary and it looks a bit like mine - how do you make sure you get 1/3 superfree in breakfast for example? would it be perhaps fruit for breakfast, veg for lunch and fruit to snack on? thanks

A fruit salad or homemade smoothie is good, if you're having a "fried" breakfast you can have mushrooms, onion, peppers etc on the side. The other option is to make sure your snacks through the day are superfree (veg sticks, fruit etc)

I personally wouldn't you so much syns on things that don't fill you such as sauces for example with things like bacon and egg, ketchup could be replaced for beans which is free and a lot more sauce for your plate! think of syns as money and get your value out of them you could also invest in the book 'saucy secret' from slimming world as there's lots of syn free sauces which can replace all of those syns your using for things like butter, ketchup etc. Also if you feel like something sweet after dinner try chuppa mini lollys their just 1/2 syn each and keep my sweet tooth happy!

I personally wouldn't you so much syns on things that don't fill you such as sauces for example with things like bacon and egg, ketchup could be replaced for beans which is free and a lot more sauce for your plate! think of syns as money and get your value out of them you could

also invest in the book 'saucy secret' from slimming world as there's lots of syn free sauces which can replace all of those syns your using for things like butter, ketchup etc. Also if you feel like something sweet after dinner try chuppa mini lollys their just 1/2 syn each and keep my sweet tooth happy!

According to my book you can have cheese as a healthy b.

With regards to cooked breakfast, eggs are super free are they not?

To be honest this one third rule was not used when I dad slimming world last and I lost every week, especially the first week.

I've always used the suns as a whole week and never had a problem and I feel full most of the time so I'm not worried about having sauces. It's important to me that I enjoy what I'm eating.

Nickynack said:
According to my book you can have cheese as a healthy b.

With regards to cooked breakfast, eggs are super free are they not?

To be honest this one third rule was not used when I dad slimming world last and I lost every week, especially the first week.

I've always used the suns as a whole week and never had a problem and I feel full most of the time so I'm not worried about having sauces. It's important to me that I enjoy what I'm eating.

Cheese is only a healthy B on green, not EE or red. The book I have doesn't make this very clear at all. :(

The 1/3 superfree rule applies to EE only and is designed to limit your portions of red/green free foods (protein/carbs) since you are eating them together, by helping fill you up. I believe that when they brought EE in they made eggs free, not superfree.

rachymason said:
A fruit salad or homemade smoothie is good, if you're having a "fried" breakfast you can have mushrooms, onion, peppers etc on the side. The other option is to make sure your snacks through the day are superfree (veg sticks, fruit etc)

Just a note, technically fruit has to be synned if you juice it or blend it into a smoothie. :( which I hate because I love them!

As mentioned I'll have a big bowl of berries or melon before breakfast, put fruit in with cereal or have mushrooms etc with a cooked brekkie. Other meals are usually easier but if in doubt I'll have a salad with lots of different veg as a starter.

See I could have a bowl of berries with breakfast, or even a big tin of tomatoes (which I sometimes do) but that wouldn't cut down on what I eat for breakfast. It would add to it and hence add calories.

If I have 2 rashers of bacon and one egg that easily keeps me going till lunch.

Nickynack said:
See I could have a bowl of berries with breakfast, or even a big tin of tomatoes (which I sometimes do) but that wouldn't cut down on what I eat for breakfast. It would add to it and hence add calories.

If I have 2 rashers of bacon and one egg that easily keeps me going till lunch.

There've been threads about the 1/3 superfree rule in the past; might be worth digging them up and reading the different discussions as I seem to remember this was brought up? (sorry I can't find and link as am on my phone) I think some people switch to red/green if all the superfree doesn't suit them.

Personally, I understand what you mean and have sometimes thought the same (weetabix fills me up without any fruit!).

I can also sympathise with your frustration especially as you've lost with SW in the past. It seems to me that EE is more confusing to people who have done red/green before as the rules are changed instead of being completely new, if that makes sense. :)

I've done EE before. The third thing is new.

It was 2010 when I last did it and the third rule wasn't in there. Nor was the no cheese for healthy b.

I really can't understand why I haven't lost any weight. Not even half a pound following the rules I've always followed.

I'm going to spend the cash and join a group I think.

Nickynack said:
I've done EE before. The third thing is new.

It was 2010 when I last did it and the third rule wasn't in there. Nor was the no cheese for healthy b.

I really can't understand why I haven't lost any weight. Not even half a pound following the rules I've always followed.

I'm going to spend the cash and join a group I think.

Cheese has only ever been a B choice on Green! I think you have the best idea going to group. Get rid of all your old Food Optimising books and save the confusion. If you decide to follow EE then you have to follow it properly, either that or revert to green/original. Good luck with whatever you choose :)
Maybe start a food diary too, so you can have lots of extra help and support if and when you need it :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back