Weight lifting on very low carbs

boggins

Silver Member
Hello all,

Last night I was at a hotel for work and used the gym. I'm not a gym person, I run outdoors and swim, so it was a revelation for me. I used the weight machines, and it felt GREAT. My body just felt wonderful afterwards, a real "feelgood" sensation I just don't get with cardio.

So that's decided- I'm joining the local gym and taking up weight-lifting!

Does anyone have any insights/tips/ideas about lifting weights whilst on a ketogenic diet, or any links/books they recommend? I am basically clueless! :rolleyes:

Thanks.

I do weights on vlcarb and i do not see a problem. It gets rid of inches of fat, amazing really. I do them twice a day and are by far my favourite exercise :)

I don't think it's essential to have carbs post workout. Bodybuilders use a 'recovery shake' including lots of simple sugar to spike insulin which drives the protein to your muscles so the rebuilding process starts asap. I doubt it would matter if you didn't have the insulin spike if you choose the right protein. Something like casein probably isn't effective straight after a workout as it's slow digesting.

Try whey protein which a fast digesting protein but watch the carbs. They usually have a couple of grams minimum.

Thanks for the replies! I was thinking of getting some whey protein powder. Is soya any good?

I have zero idea how to make a protein shake, especially with no milk allowed. Almond milk maybe?

Thanks for the replies! I was thinking of getting some whey protein powder. Is soya any good?

I have zero idea how to make a protein shake, especially with no milk allowed. Almond milk maybe?

I'm not a massive fan of soy. I'd google it and read the various opinions about it before buying it.

Most shakes are made with water.

I bought some protein stuff from Holland and Barratt....Devinity? Some silly name like that. Expensive, ain't it? Anyway, gym induction today. Had a great time. I'm lifting 40lbs, which is like three large cats. Only less squirmy.

The diet doesn't seem to have affected my performance, that I can see, from the little weight-lifting I've done in the past. Oddly, lifting lighter weights seems harder; I'm fine doing the heavier stuff.

Thanks for the advice!

Back