weight loss revealing unknown health problems

violetfire

shrinking violet
Ok my left leg has been a bit achey for a few years and I get random stabbing or shooting pains in it but have never been able to see anything... Well after a few inches of fat loss on my thigh the culprit has been revealed... I have a varicose vein :-( no point seeing my doc about it yet though as I already know from past experience with them that they won't do anything until I have lost a lot more weight. :-(

Last edited:
Urgh yes I have a varicose vein on my thigh which goes right the way down past my knee. It throbs something awful and I hate it but I haven't seen my GP about it because there's literally no time in my life to have anything done about it lol.

Have you had them removed before? I'd love to get rid of this on but I'll probably just get more going into a career as a nurse lol.

I think weight loss also works the other way too. I had high blood pressure and was about to be put on medication but since losing weight it's completely normal 119 / 80 yesterday as I check it most weekends out of habit. Weasey had type 2 diabetes but has been off all medication since quite early on in her weight loss journey. I reckon you'll have some positive health benefits too. One of which is that we're all helping ourselves to have a longer life and reducing the risk of a whole range of things like stroke, heart disease etc. Those things may not hold much fear when you're younger but believe me it starts to hit home as you get older.

And one other thing I'll say to everyone is if you're younger lose the weight now and wear beautiful clothes. I look at clothes that I could now fit into but are in a young range so wouldn't wear now and think how I missed wearing clothes like that when I started getting seriously overweight in my late 20s. Lose the weight now and don't look back with regret.

That's a nice post Borders, I'm 26 atm and started gaining weight when I was 22 and on a night out I feel all my clothes are picked for my size rather than what I like. Your post has giving me a nice chunk of motivation for today, so I thank ya! :)

Never knew I had it but must have had it for years... The fat was hiding it lol. Most NHS hospitals won't remove them now as they are seen as cosmetic so to have them removed you have to go private.
One of the consultant's at work has told me they are common in people who have jobs where you are on your feet for long periods... I have been a nursing auxiliary for 10 years! Lol although the extra weight most likely didn't help. I have been big since I was 11 and my pcos kicked in... I'm now 31.
I always used my pcos as an excuse for not losing weight... But not any more!! :-D

I refuse to let my PCOS have anything else. It's got my periods, my skin (acne) my hairiness and it took me ages to conceive my wee boy. I'll be damned if it's having my weight and giving me diabetes.

Ona side note I have noticed my PCOS does get better with losing weight, migraines though - those bad boys ramp up. I think it's the hormone release. :(

Never knew I had it but must have had it for years... The fat was hiding it lol. Most NHS hospitals won't remove them now as they are seen as cosmetic so to have them removed you have to go private.
One of the consultant's at work has told me they are common in people who have jobs where you are on your feet for long periods... I have been a nursing auxiliary for 10 years! Lol although the extra weight most likely didn't help. I have been big since I was 11 and my pcos kicked in... I'm now 31.
I always used my pcos as an excuse for not losing weight... But not any more!! :-D

Yes I've been a HCA for 6 years so now wonder we have them lol. I didn't know they wouldn't remove them anymore it's not really the sight of them that bothers me to be honest (although not very nice!) but the shooting pain and throbbing.
Don't think I'll be getting anything done about it soon though!

Clareel said:
Yes I've been a HCA for 6 years so now wonder we have them lol. I didn't know they wouldn't remove them anymore it's not really the sight of them that bothers me to be honest (although not very nice!) but the shooting pain and throbbing.
Don't think I'll be getting anything done about it soon though!

Exactly! I now work for a private IVF clinic we rotate area daily. The job is a breeze when your on the ward (no running around lots of sitting down etc) but when your in the egg collection theatre or embryo transfer theatre you are stood pretty much the whole shift.

Exactly! I now work for a private IVF clinic we rotate area daily. The job is a breeze when your on the ward (no running around lots of sitting down etc) but when your in the egg collection theatre or embryo transfer theatre you are stood pretty much the whole shift.

Ooo I work in gynae I have a little experience in infertility would love to work in that area once I'm qualified! unfortunately all of the wards I have experienced as a student involved lots of running and virtually no sitting down lol!

X

Clareel said:
Ooo I work in gynae I have a little experience in infertility would love to work in that area once I'm qualified! unfortunately all of the wards I have experienced as a student involved lots of running and virtually no sitting down lol!

X

Yeah thats the down side of the NHS. I loved my job but was sick of working short staffed... Never having enough time to give my patients the attention I feel they deserve etc :-( partly the reason I left... The other part was a pay raise of 4 grand a year!

Back