Weight loss without exercising?

tara84

I'm unable to exercise at the moment as I'm recovering from spinal nerve damage, it's likely to be a good few months before I'm back on my feet :cry: I've worked out that my maintenance calories for my current weight are around 1800 per day so if I try and stick to just above 1200 per day I should lose about 1lb per week which is so depressing since I'm hardly eating anything. I'm also worried that once I've lost a bit I'm going to end up plateau-ing until I'm well enough to start exercising, is anyone else doing slimfast but not exercising?

I've dieted in the past without exercise, you do lose but I find the longer you go without no exercise the harder it gets.

Hi Tara, sarah is right, the results are always better with exercise but losing just 1lb a week is better than nothing until you can do some. I'm not exercising at the moment, mainly because I just can't bring myself to go to the gym, I don't care what anyone says, when you're my size on a treadmill people DO stare! And I'm practically a single mum with a 3 year old so don't get the time. Though I have just bought a gravity strider in the hope I'll get off my big old backside and do 10 minutes here and there on it! keep going, soon enough you will find you wont want so much to eat, for example, yesterday I completely forgot to eat until my tummy starting having a go at me at about 10pm! This place is great for motivation and food ideas for you x

Thank you girls, Sarah your not far from me, I live near Llantrisant:)
coops, I know what you mean about time, I have a 6 year old and a 6 month old. When I lost the weight I gained after having my eldest I used to stick cbeebies on for him and do 10 minutes on my exercise bike a few times a day,it all adds up.
I've just bought one of these, mini bike
I managed 6 minutes before the pins and needles in my back got too much but I suppose every little bit helps.

Could you maybe exercise your upper body rather than the lower obviously this demends on how far up the spinal nerve damage is.

Could you maybe exercise your upper body rather than the lower obviously this demends on how far up the spinal nerve damage is.

I'll ask the physio when I see her next on Friday, she said last week to just try and do little bits with my legs and concentrate on strengthening my core. The little bike thing I've got can be used for arms aswell if you put it up on a table so I think that would be ok as it's not lifting anything, have to be careful at the moment as waiting for another MRI as last lot of x-rays showed a possible fracture/inflamed disc at T2

the little bike thing sounds good and should definatly help,, take care of yourself tho and dont do any damage, but even using the bike is better than no exercise at all and as long as your eating sensibly i reckon you could still lose even if it isnt much of a loss its a start till your n you feet again so to speak

Back