weight

Discussion in 'Calorie Counting' started by rani, 21 September 2011 Social URL.

1. rani

rani Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    calorie counting
    Hi guys, i wanted to know when i weigh a 100g of say potato wedges and they are 185 calories per 100g, will the calories be the same after i have oven cooked them? same for pasta etc..do i count the same calories per 100g raw for cooked..am confused...

thanks

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Fuffa

Fuffa Member

Start Weight:
    11st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Rani, Potatoes don't expand or absorb water like pasta so the calories would still be the same. Although saying that I would go with the cals on the pasta packet. HTH

4. Donzy84

Donzy84 Back to basics

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st10lb(20.99%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I wondered the same last night as I weighed out a total of 600 grams of homemade chips, then when I took them out the oven they only weighed 300 ish so I'd def weigh before xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

5. surfinbernard

surfinbernard Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st11lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11lb(23.64%)
    I usually look up the cals for 'dryweight' on pasta and rice because it will weigh more when cooked, therefore the amount of water counted into the cooked weight cals brings the value down. For potato chips/ wedges I expect it's the same cooked as raw or near to it.

6. Wickedwitch74

Wickedwitch74 Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    4st8lb(22.15%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting and healthy eating
    I get really confused about things like that too!

i tend to try and buy the brands that state things like 'per 100g roasted' or 'per 100g cooked as directed' etc...it makes it so much easier.

i buy the pasta brands that tell you how much dry pasta to cook to get to a certain weight...for example 75g dry will give you 200g cooked which is 'x' amount of calories....

now if i could only work out how to calculate the calories in red split lentils i would be happy!

the brands i have bought just say 100g is 335 calories...

is that 100g dry or 100g after cooking in water?

so if i use 100g of dry lentils to make soup, does that mean that there are 335 calories worth of lentils in that soup, or do i have to take into account the change of weight for adding water?....my brain hurts!!! :confused:

7. RachBlue

RachBlue Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(9.36%)
    Diet:
    Cal Counting @ 1550cals / day + following Dr Stephen Gullo's theories about knowing your weaknesses
    Dry. ;)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.