weight

rani

Silver Member
Hi guys, i wanted to know when i weigh a 100g of say potato wedges and they are 185 calories per 100g, will the calories be the same after i have oven cooked them? same for pasta etc..do i count the same calories per 100g raw for cooked..am confused...

thanks

Rani, Potatoes don't expand or absorb water like pasta so the calories would still be the same. Although saying that I would go with the cals on the pasta packet. HTH

Fuffa said:
Rani, Potatoes don't expand or absorb water like pasta so the calories would still be the same. Although saying that I would go with the cals on the pasta packet. HTH

I wondered the same last night as I weighed out a total of 600 grams of homemade chips, then when I took them out the oven they only weighed 300 ish so I'd def weigh before xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I usually look up the cals for 'dryweight' on pasta and rice because it will weigh more when cooked, therefore the amount of water counted into the cooked weight cals brings the value down. For potato chips/ wedges I expect it's the same cooked as raw or near to it.

I get really confused about things like that too!

i tend to try and buy the brands that state things like 'per 100g roasted' or 'per 100g cooked as directed' etc...it makes it so much easier.

i buy the pasta brands that tell you how much dry pasta to cook to get to a certain weight...for example 75g dry will give you 200g cooked which is 'x' amount of calories....

now if i could only work out how to calculate the calories in red split lentils i would be happy!

the brands i have bought just say 100g is 335 calories...

is that 100g dry or 100g after cooking in water?

so if i use 100g of dry lentils to make soup, does that mean that there are 335 calories worth of lentils in that soup, or do i have to take into account the change of weight for adding water?....my brain hurts!!! :confused:

Back