Weightwatchers - Changing ??

Just thinking that its focusing on meat protein and making that lower and raising the points of carbs (in comparison to how many you get a week. For a veggie, carbs are healthy and essectial more than a meat eater maybe. I know that i get most of my energy form carbs.

Yes I am torn between believing the new WW points system, and wanting to defend vegetarianism and its need to get protein from basically carbohydrate-rich foods. I mean vegetarians can only get protein from foods that also contain either fat (eggs and cheese) or carbohydrate (tofu, pulses and quorn for example). We don;t have recourse to a lean chicken breast that is almost all protein.

Though I do take protein shakes when I can face swallowing them :(

Vegetarians would do much better on Simply Filling, which from what I understand will still be an option.

Sorry Rachel, I missed your post before. The dilemma is, that if the new way of calculating *is* more "correct" nutritionally than their previous plans, then we're still disadvatnaged. If not by having to eat less protein, then by not being able to lose weight as fast.

Though I have to say, doubts started creeping in when I first read about Atkins. That sort of thing makes me feel less sure of my own health as a vegetarian.

Inge, the latest Atkins book (The New Atkins For a New You) does give a vegetarian option, IIRC.

I also don't get how the new PP math is a disadvantage for Simply Filling, because it's possible to live very nicely off the foods on the list. Any extras (buns for your veggie burgers, f'rinstance) can come from the weekly allowance. If I wanted potato chips with my veggie burger, I'd make my own, to ensure that it was 100% Simply Filling. Same for something like hummus, vegetarian chili, etc.

The nutritional balance only potentially changes for the people who are counting Points, and SF is basically a no-count program except for the non-Filling Foods, which can come from the 49 PP allowance.

Well yes, but even if we're not following the points system, it still leaves those affected items being less good for our weight loss than we previously thought. So it's still "unsettling news" basically.

What I mean is, if I believe Weightwatchers, it makes me feel the vegetarian choices I make are not as nutritionally desirable as if I was eating lean chicken and tuna.

laura, from what I have heard from people that have started the new plan last week (other helpers that had been given the plan one week before me), the new plan actually works better than the old one. One of my friends on the Weight Watchers official board is a helper in another meeting and got the new plan on Thursday 2 weeks ago. last week she lost 3 lbs and this week she lost 2 lbs. She had plateaued on the old plan for a very long time, losing 1 lb and putting it back on.

As for me, I have started the new plan on Monday (I mean, I have calculated what I have had on Sunday too after receiving the new plan, so I have actually started using it from Sunday). On Sunday I went out as usual to the Chinese and I have converted what I had into propoints the best I could, noticing I have used probably 28 propoints of my 49 weekly allowance. Monday Tuesday and today I have used only my daily points allowance, but I HAVE indeed used it all and I haven't cut on anything, I also had a lot of fruit which I normally never had. I feel nice and full every day. I step on the scales every day also (which I know is not advised by WW but I like it, my personal choice) and the scales have had the EXACT same reaction that they usually have on a normal week on the other plan. on Monday I was 3 lbs heavier than Sunday (because of the Chinese meal), on Tuesday I had lost 1.5 lbs of that and this morning I was back to the weight of Sunday, like it usually happens. BUT while normally I'm hungry in the end of the day and just fill myself with water, now I feel nice and full!:D

I'm sure you'll be able to lose the weight for your wedding. And by the way: you get married 1 week before me! :D

Thanks :) I will try the plan for 2 weeks and see how i get on! Congratulations on ur up and coming wedding :D its very exciting isnt it? u got ur dress yet? x

What I mean is, if I believe Weightwatchers, it makes me feel the vegetarian choices I make are not as nutritionally desirable as if I was eating lean chicken and tuna.

But you know better than that, they still ply us with info that milk is healthy for us, doesnt make it true! :rolleyes:
Not long to wait till we all have the info now, then we will know for sure whats going on :)

Iwatchr

I have done the custom thing with this and decided to do a comparison of a meal I had tonight
I had a morrisons eat smart Cumberland pie
Under the points it is 5
Under new propoints it will be 8
But then as our daily allowance will be higher then I suppose it evens itself out
Just thought I would share that

Thanks :) I will try the plan for 2 weeks and see how i get on! Congratulations on ur up and coming wedding :D its very exciting isnt it? u got ur dress yet? x

yes it is very exciting :D I got my dress in May! I just love it... I was very close to goal then and I ordered a size 10! :D Now probably it'll need to be tuck in a bit, as now I'm more a size 6/8, but it's got a lace on the back so it's not too bad :)

You'll see, you've given yourself a lot of time you'll get there! I started the diet in the end of July 2009 because I was graduating from the OU in September and wanted to look well in the pictures... I celebrated my graduation 7lbs below goal weight :). You CAN do it!

I would just like to say a big thank you to Kagome75 for all the really helpful info you have given everyone!
I have been watching this thread with great interest as I have been thinking of joining WW again as I'm getting nowhere with SW.
I always prefer WW as you aren't restricted in your choices as much, but I always tend to eat healthier on SW as with WW it seemed too easy for me to choose the wrong things.
The way it was explained in an earlier post made me realise that although the new values of foods may increase, when you work it out we will probably be eating the same amounts really, however I think for me to look at my points in a different way will really help me, - if I only had 16 now I would have to make sure I ate sensibly to make my points last and I always feel deprived if I take points out of my allowance to save for weekend but having a seperate amount of points for things like that will make me feel like I'm not compromising meal choices to have treats.
I hope that makes sense, I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it sounds like it will be good for me to steer me to better choices whilst keeping portion sizes as they should be whilst at the same time I won't feel like I have to say no every time treats are passed around at work and things ( I currently do have to refuse as I would spend 3 days trying to claw back points and then give in totally and just binge)

I can't wait to try the new plan now, I have been really been struggling and I feel like this will be just what I need to make me focus and make a real start on losing this weight.

I think thats a great attitude muffindoll.
Im really not sure what Im doing, I might try it once ive read the real info and had a go at a day or so of it working out the points i would be on etc.
The thought of having to weigh and measure my potato again isnt appealing to me but maybe a new start is what i need with something new as nothing seems to be fitting with me still. :(

I can see how it is similar with a 'treat allowence' and things being valued on their nutrition not just their cals and fat, and the free fruit. buts thats it, you still have to count everything else.

I've recently been doing SW but now plan on starting the new WW plan this Sunday. If I really saw them as the same then I wouldn't feel the need to switch.

I suppose as both plans are healthy eating plans and there can only be so many takes of healthy eating there are bound to be similarities.

At my meeting tonight, one of the helpers there have been on the ProPoints plan for 2 weeks now, she lost 5 1/2 lbs last week and another 2 1/2 this week, she said it is so much better than the Discover plan for its flexibility and being able to eat that fruit and have the 5 a day that was nearly impossible before. The fruit also bloats you out more she said and you might just think about leaving that chocolate treat to the next day. She absolutely loves it and cannot wait for us to be on it next week. She also said how she has had 2 birthdays within the last 2 weeks and used the "real living" points allowance to go out and still have a good time and still have a proper take-away on the weekend while watching a film with her other half. To be honest with everyone, I personally cannot wait until I get my teeth stuck into this new plan, im up for anything new and it will be like a new start which will also mean the motivation will be back and more weight loss. :)

i'm starting to panic now as our plan doesnt kick in till after christmas,,so i'll be here looking for advise and everyone else be doing the new plan:(

Back