Weird comment today....

BL. That was an absolute fantastic reply. Hang on....going to pick up some quotes from that...........

A few....one of them was the "you will gain it all back" comment. However, I see that as a valid comment.....as in a lot of crash diets, people DO gain the weight back...

So true. Did it everytime:sigh: I read somewhere that if I make it to 5 years maintaining, then I'm a freak :D Hey....half way to being a freak. How cool is that.:D

So I see it as a prayer answered, a gift - and I intend to cherish the end results the same way I would if someone gave me a special gift.
That's how I viewed it. It was the answer to my prayers. If only I didn't have to eat. If only there was a magic pill that would give me everything I needed and I could guarantee a loss and no long plateaus. Cambridge is pretty close to that.

And that I am aware I MUST change my lifestyle in order to keep it off, etc. and that I am happy to do so.
I felt like I had been given a 2nd chance. This time I had to get it right. Cambridge wasn't 'another' diet for me. It was a chance to get back to basics, to be reborn IYKWIM. I don't think I would ever be able to do it again....not sure I'd ever be able to do any diet again. 35+ years of dieting was enough to put me off forever. Which of course means I musn't gain anything. How's that for pressure:eek:
"You can;'t lost that much - you will be too skinny", etc., I don't take offence at that either.THey simply can't believe that I am THAT overwieght.
True. I don't think people have experience with seeing weight losses such as this. I know that on this forum, my 8 stone doesn't seem a huge amount, but sometimes if I mention it to others, they are gosmacked.

I have always carried the extra weight in a rathar solid fashion - just a very big girl - I have always been told I weigh more then I look like I do....so to them, 10 stone probably sounds like too much....but i give them a wink, and a knowing smile and simply say, "trust me - I have it to lose"......and they accept that.
I know I went through a phase of people saying that I had lost too much. They were still thinking of me as a big girl. It took time for them to adjust too. When we see people diet, we usually see people go from lots overweight to just overweight. Big to 'less big'. They still stay in the 'big' catagory. This time I wanted to move into the 'slim' catagory. That was a huge thing for them to get their heads around.

People who were telling me I had lost too much, were smaller than me. When I said I wanted to get down to their weight, others looked astonished...."but they are slim:eek:". We're not talking skinny here...just the right size. I definitely felt they had put me in the big box, never to enter 'normal' territory.

I think we can get very sensitive on something like dieting. Can't blame us. We've been through them all, ups and downs, and no one knows the struggly mentally and physically that we have been through except us and other fat people. So it is understandable, but I just let ignorant coments go. Real friends, and people that relly care, will never mean anything nasty by it.
True....very wise BL.

I take my comment back that I disagree with everyone. In fact there's a couple more replies up there that I agree with. Just not the 'they are jealous' statement.

Just wanted to add another 2 cents worth.. I have a friend who from the start was very unsure of what I was doing, but now after 10 weeks she has seen my results and heard other people praising my success, she starts LL next week, possibly one of my best results is seeing someone else "seeing the light" so to speak. I of course wish her the very best of luck and am really pleased that she will soon be on her way to a new slim life.

It is weird, I know another lady who had done LL before me, she told me it would be a waste of time as I would put it all back on, but a few weeks ago I saw her at a class before mine, she said she'd seen what I had done and was inspired!

At the end of the day, if I go back to scoffing all the rubbish I did before, then I will put it all back on - simple as! I know I will always struggle with my weight, shame it took me to nearly 40 to realise it!! :rolleyes:

I felt like I had been given a 2nd chance. This time I had to get it right. Cambridge wasn't 'another' diet for me. It was a chance to get back to basics, to be reborn IYKWIM.

Yes, that is how I look at it too. This is a way for me to wipe the slate clean of years of bad behavior. Abstinence should break any food that was just a habit, and my pallette will be cleansed of such things as chocolate, cheese, chips, all the things I craved. All that should be left are mental cravings.

My dream is to eat more naturally, and more whole foods - much less prepared food. Ideally, what I have ALWAYS wants to do, was shop in little independant stores - bakery for bread, butcher for meet, produce shop for fruit and veg, fishmerman on the coast for fish....rathar then the big supermarkets. unfortunately, a full time job and oter commitments make that difficult. But I would like to think I will try that - maybe grow a few veg, and just get back to basics a little bit.

Maybe once or twice a month cook something devilish, but oterwise - eat to live, not live to eat. Lots of grains, pulses, beans in the shelves to cook up from scratch...I would love to live like that. Fewer tins, fewer frozen items, etc.

I look forward to all the changes I will be making!

I don't think I would ever be able to do it again....not sure I'd ever be able to do any diet again. 35+ years of dieting was enough to put me off forever. Which of course means I musn't gain anything. How's that for pressure:eek:

Yeah, but a good amount of pressure can be a good thing. Just not to extreme. I would like to believe that I will be able to fluxuate within 10 pounds of goal. If i see myself go up a pound or two - sort it out, then and now. And then carry on. i don't want to be weight obsessed, but I do want to maintain, and not have it be an issue. Obviously.

I know I went through a phase of people saying that I had lost too much. They were still thinking of me as a big girl. It took time for them to adjust too. When we see people diet, we usually see people go from lots overweight to just overweight. Big to 'less big'. They still stay in the 'big' catagory. This time I wanted to move into the 'slim' catagory. That was a huge thing for them to get their heads around.

Yep. I agree with that. I even feel that way. I have never known myself slim. So it is weird for me - its going to be weird for everyone - all my friends have only known me fat. So, its going to be a big adjustment for all of us really! I imagine I will be the same, but maybe it will change me some. Time wil tell.

I take my comment back that I disagree with everyone. In fact there's a couple more replies up there that I agree with. Just not the 'they are jealous' statement

Thanks KD. :)

Yes, that is how I look at it too. This is a way for me to wipe the slate clean of years of bad behavior. Abstinence should break any food that was just a habit, and my pallette will be cleansed of such things as chocolate, cheese, chips, all the things I craved. All that should be left are mental cravings.

Okay, I thought it would happen like that, but for me it didn't. Oh yes, for a few months after I reached goal while I still had the initial euphoria, but it's so easy for things to creep back in again and devilishly hard to deal with mental cravings after a point. Things raise their ugly heads again, and anyway, cravings can be good. Just not always easy to understand which ones of the good cravings, and which are bad. I found that as an 'addict' I can justify eating anything and in any quantity.

My dream is to eat more naturally, and more whole foods - much less prepared food. Ideally, what I have ALWAYS wants to do, was shop in little independant stores - bakery for bread, butcher for meet, produce shop for fruit and veg, fishmerman on the coast for fish....rathar then the big supermarkets. unfortunately, a full time job and oter commitments make that difficult.
Yes, that was my dream. As it happens, I always did that anyway for the boys, but needed to make it that most of my food was 'natural' rather than just the mealtimes :D I don't have foods that are processed to be low calorie; I use butter, olive oil etc.

What has surprised me is that some things that I dreamed about doing in this new life have just been too difficult, yet other things much easier. I thought that everything would be too difficult :D It's surprised me how long it has taken to feel confident at maintaining. Actually...I still don't feel confident. Just more confident than I was:rolleyes:

I would like to believe that I will be able to fluxuate within 10 pounds of goal.
I have a 4lb +/- warning bell. Once the scales say 4lb more, I focus more. I don't diet as such, just become much more aware of what I'm eating. It comes off again eventually :clap:

Excellant KD. That sound just like how I evision it really. i am not going to use low cal stuff either. I intend to be "normal" and i use my healthy slim friends as a guage for that. Moderation is going to be key.

I hear you about cravings coming back, and yeah, perhaps that was too idealistic - but as long as I have that in my mental foundation, I can learn to spot as you say, good cravings vs bad.

I do know one thing I will not be reintroducing, and that is Diet Coke. I was completely addicted to the stuff, and its poison. So I have not had a moment during this where I have missed it, which surprised me - so thats off my list forever.

I am excited about learning, and maintaining. As we said, I feel I have been given , or am being given, a second chance. I am older and wiser. And I will be adapting a whole new way of doign things. I may stumble at slip back now and again, but I will always be aware and will always have to pay attention and show discipline. But I believe I can do that now.

You have done really well - proof positive it can work. So I may well be picking your brain over the coming months!!! :)

Back