What a fab day!

lazorinie

wants a body to love!
Not. Lol!

Today i have been told that my intake at uni are very unlikely to get a job when we qualify as fully fleged nurses in september, as there is no funding for new staff.

My OH is being made redundant today. There goes the house we wanted to buy at the end of the year.

And today is my birthday. Im old (22). But at least i've had my friends wth me at uni and they make me happy!

Sorry for the moan! We should start a unhappy thread. lol!

At least when you're qualified you'll have a skill you can take anywhere - what about working abroad for a year or so?!

There's also natural turnover of staff, so whilst they might not be able to secure funding for new posts, there may be positions becoming available as people retire or leave their jobs.

On the plus side - at least your day can only get better!!

blimey, every other advert in our papers etc is for nurses..
might be time to relocate to an area where your skills will be in demand.. ( you don't have a house yet and hubby is between jobs so it's not a problem for his work.. )

When I started my training in '83 there was a dire shortage of nurses. Just three years later we were all being told that there was a surplus and we probably wouldn't get a job as nurse, but we all did!

Nursing is a tough profession and there is a lot of churn in the NHS. Try not to worry as the situation will change and probably much faster than you think.

some student mw's were in this position a few years back and most did get a job but it did take quite a few months. you could always do your midwifery training :)

I'm so sorry to hear your lousy news. :(

I know it took my sister in law a while to get a permanent position once she qualified. She was able to work as an agency nurse in the interim. It's barking mad as the health authority were paying more for an agency nurse than they would have to employ one full time...

one of my friends are in the exact same position...she just qualified last week due to graduate in july. shes thinking of moving so she can get a job..
i take it your part time job is in asda? while you're waiting on a nursing job coming up you could do their management programme? something else to stick on your cv at least!

some student mw's were in this position a few years back and most did get a job but it did take quite a few months. you could always do your midwifery training :)

Serious shortage of those too. A friend of mine qualified recently and is one of very few of her year to get a post as a midwife, her job is only temporary and shes had to move several hundred miles away for it in.

Not. Lol!

Today i have been told that my intake at uni are very unlikely to get a job when we qualify as fully fleged nurses in september, as there is no funding for new staff.

My OH is being made redundant today. There goes the house we wanted to buy at the end of the year.

And today is my birthday. Im old (22). But at least i've had my friends wth me at uni and they make me happy!

Sorry for the moan! We should start a unhappy thread. lol!

You poor girl, sorry to hear your news.:hug99:

Can I say that getting older is a privilege, the alternative doesn't bare thinking about , so .:bestwishes::birthday:

It amazes me that your government can make cuts in areas like health and policing. Surely looking closer to home would be more appropriate.

I have got everything crossed that you OH finds another job quickly and your house becomes a reality by the end of the year.

Lots of alternatives have been suggested to you on here so perhaps things are not as black as you think.

Chin up..........look for the positive !!

hugs xxx

I know how you feel, I qualified as a teacher in the summer and I'm still trying to get a permanent position. I like doing supply - when I have a busy week it's really good money but then I have weeks where I might only get one day. It's not the same as having your 'own' class, on my final placement I was left on my own for 2 months and the class really felt like my responsibility.

Me not having a full time job does make things hard - by the time rent/bills/food is paid for I've only made a couple of hundred pounds on my earnings so saving is going pretty slow. I would love to buy a house with my OH and get our wedding plans on the go but with lack of money it won't be happening anytime soon.

I'm sorry to hear about your OH - my OH has been made redundant a few times and was unemployed for 6 months. My advice would be to support him - my OH was on the verge of depression and it had a serious effect on our relationship. I had no idea just upset he was and was so caught up in my own job and sharing work gossip with him. Very tactless of me at the time, but after a good heart to heart we sorted things out.

In my local paper there's always loads of nursing home jobs going every week. It might be best to look further afield in your job search, it might help your OH too in finding work. My friend worked her way up in nursing but was so fed up of where she worked, she managed to get a sponsorship in Australia in nursing and loves her job so much better out there than in the UK (and her partner is doing the same type of job as he did in UK and is earning lots more).

Wishing you both all the very best - there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Back