What do you love about dieting?

KD

Gone fishing
Not sure where to put this thread. Need a 'anything diet related forum' :D

Right.

What do you love about being on a diet? We know that your attitude to your way of eating makes a huge difference to how successful you are with it.

I loved the feeling of being on control again. I loved going around the shops without feeling ashamed of the contents of my trolley.

I loved the hope that it brought me. I loved the feeling of not being 'stuffed'.

What do you love about dieting?

aaah Karion,

I read the title of your post and, while I waited for the full post to open, I already knew what I'd type now... and then, what do I find? That you posted the same thing (hardly a surprise!).

CONTROL.

I love being in control; there are so many other factors in my life at the moment going haywire that this is ONE area that I am the boss in; I say what goes.

I must also admit that I feel better as soon as I stop eating rubbish and start eating healthily. Fruit and veg obviously agree with me as I sleep less, am far perkier and happier in general.

So why overeat, I ask myself? Why indeed... but I think we've been here before :)

Me too. I love being in control (most of the time)

I love too being able to go shopping and not be judged by what's in my trolley, cos now its healthy stuff.

I also like to have something to focus on. Not being a working person, I have a lot of time of my hands and tend to "drift" a lot, if you see what I mean. Now I have something to think about, and to plan. Whether this is just the initial buzz of a new regime (WW in my case) I dunno, I was exactly the same at the onset of Lipotrim, just couldn't wait to get started. I think I need some sort of structure in my life, and WW is giving that to me right now.

Dieting can give me a sense of...

CONTROL STRUCTURE BOUNDARIES

All help to make me feel safe, secure and mentally stronger to cope with everything else in my life (why, I don't know).

During this summer holiday period when I've been on a couple of holidays and therefore the control/structure/boundaries I have been relying upon have been absent, things have slipped out of my control and I am now in the process of retrieving them.

I could go into 'panic' mode and try to lose weight using unhealthy (but quick) methods or over-exercise, as in the past. That route leads ultimately to disaster. So, this leaves the route of returning to the previous eating patterns I had established after finishing LL and had worked well for me before the summer holidays.

I could return to using LL packs for the short while, but feel that I need to learn to take control back using food only, I have to learn some time. I should be able to return to the LL meetings next week and that'll may help me to get things in perspective, discuss options and compare suntans!

a
I read the title of your post and, while I waited for the full post to open, I already knew what I'd type now... and then, what do I find? That you posted the same thing (hardly a surprise!).

:D :D

I also like to have something to focus on. .

I can understand that. This is the first time for many years that I don't have a project. Something that I'm working on. I feel kind of lost really:confused: Very odd.

I could return to using LL packs for the short while, but feel that I need to learn to take control back using food only, I have to learn some time. [/SIZE]

Good on ya. Yes, that time came for me too. Having decided never to diet again when I finished Cambridge, I knew I had to get off holiday/xmas pounds some other way. But...how do you diet without dieting:confused: Decided to just cut down a little on the portion sizes and keep my fingers crossed.

When I've heard of slim people doing this, I thought it would never work for me, but it did. Guess it was because the added weight was 'fresh' IYKWIM. Probably mainly water. I've also learnt to trust my body and be patient with it. Those pounds did come off, though I hardly changed my foods. Certainly not enough to notice had I not been serving it up myself.

I do miss dieting sometimes. I certainly miss not seeing those losses on the scales. I'll survive though;)

Hi KD :)

What do I love about dieting?

For me, it's the instant feeling of being back in control. It doesn't matter what other sh#te is going on in my life, if I get back on track with my weight loss my perception immediately shifts and nothing else in my life seems as bad. Pretty powerful stuff really :D

I know that I can only be in my first week of dieting and maybe lost between 7-12lbs BUT I can feel like I have hit my target and that I'm walking 10 foot taller and slimmer across the school playground........just by being and feeling in control again!!!! :rolleyes::D

I don't love anything about being on a diet, I only like the inch loss, if it happens. Trying on clothes which were too tight and now fit, feeling OK about myself, not avoiding mirrors because I can't bear the reflection.

The only slight plus about a diet is that food tastes nicer when you are hungry or haven't been allowed something for a while. But that is a bit like hitting your head against a wall because it is so nice when you stop.

what i like about dieting is...being in control of what goes into my mouth, and seeing the scales go down each week.

I like my clothes becoming looser and people complimenting me on weight loss- but other than that I think dieting is PANTS! I hate the way it makes thoughts of "the diet" a constant recurring theme throughout your day - eg of my stream of consciousness - "Better tidy up, this place is a mess, gosh I am being good on my diet today, better hurry up or I'll miss the train, wonder if I'll manage to get to the office without needing a pee, gosh I am being good at drinking my water, diet going well.... (hours later)... better send an urgent fax about that.... God why won't the phone stop ringing, it's stopping me looking at Minimins ..... goodness me I'm being good on my diet... lunchtime but I'm not hungry, must be in ketosis ....I am doing so well on my diet!... (hours later)... God I'm starving but I better not eat .... wonder whats on telly ... wish DS would go to bed and stay there ... God I could do with something to eat .... No no no don't do it I am doing so well on my diet! .... better have a bath to distract myself and while I lie there contemplating my flabby belly I can think about why I want to stick to this diet ... etc etc ad nauseam ALL DAY every bloody day...
No, I hate dieting - so the sooner I get to goal and can hopefully stop obsessing about it, the better.

I love the clothes shopping, the rewards of achieving a months challenge. I love it when I dont go over my calories and have been good, I get a kick out of that.
I love knowing that I am actually 'doing this!' that it isn't something i'm thinking of doing. It's now. it's here and if I keep with it, eventually i will be slim!
I love it when i find a lower calorie yoghurt than the one i've been on and it's nicer lol!
I love the fact that because i've lost weight my husband and mum, uncle and aunty are also losing weight - i love the fact they see me as an achiever at this and it wasnt just a flash in the pan attempt this time.
i guess I am addicted to losing weight and now just hope i lose it all as it is getting harder to shift.

i like a challenge, and this is a big one!

Things i love about dieting...

• The sense of being in control.
  • Not having that "God, I've ate WAY too much..." tired, lethargic, bloated feeling anymore.
  • Instantly feeling better in my own skin, even from Day 1, when i was still at my biggest, i can see that the only way is down.
  • Having discipline in my routine.
  • The sense of pride & satisfaction, at weigh in [even if it is on my scales at home] that my weeks worth of being good has paid off.
  • Having something to aim towards, having a goal. [Fitting into smaller clothes & getting to goal weight]. Even if there isn't much else going on in life, it gives you something to aim towards.
  • Noticing the change in energy levels... ie, going from feeling sluggish to more energetic, in a relatively short space of time [even if you're not at goal yet].
  • The general feeling of well-being, your insides feel 'cleaner' with not consuming so much junk 24/7, if you know what i mean by that...

Oooohhh, lovely to see this thread bumped up:cool:

Great observations there Yvonne :)

Things i love about dieting...

• The sense of being in control.

• [*]Not having that "God, I've ate WAY too much..." tired, lethargic, bloated feeling anymore.

[*]Instantly feeling better in my own skin, even from Day 1, when i was still at my biggest, i can see that the only way is down.

[*]Having discipline in my routine.

[*]The sense of pride & satisfaction, at weigh in [even if it is on my scales at home] that my weeks worth of being good has paid off.

[*]Having something to aim towards, having a goal. [Fitting into smaller clothes & getting to goal weight]. Even if there isn't much else going on in life, it gives you something to aim towards.

[*]Noticing the change in energy levels... ie, going from feeling sluggish to more energetic, in a relatively short space of time [even if you're not at goal yet].

[*]The general feeling of well-being, your insides feel 'cleaner' with not consuming so much junk 24/7, if you know what i mean by that...

All of the above Yvonne :):):)

Made me think more now Yvonne so I'm back again :D

I remember the last time I lost something like 14-15lbs in the first week. I went to collect my kids from school and I had to walk across the playground.

I felt like I was a 9 stone goddess walking on air! Didn't matter that I had only just scratched the surface and had another 8 or 9 stone to lose or that you couldn't probably tell that I'd lost anything. It was how I felt.

Your perception of things, how it can shift very quickly from feeling out of control to being in control of everything, and the power of your mind....never ever ceases to amaze me.

Thank YOU for just reminding me of that!

Lacey..xx :)

thanks KD & Isis

Yeah, its amazing how much your perception of yourself changes. For me, i think i've started to love myself more... [not in the big headed "aren't i just great" way, i mean just accepting myself the way i am, not giving myself a hard time over the way i look anymore... i'm able to picture myself slimmer in my head, even if my body isn't there yet].

thanks KD & Isis

Yeah, its amazing how much your perception of yourself changes. For me, i think i've started to love myself more... [not in the big headed "aren't i just great" way, i mean just accepting myself the way i am, not giving myself a hard time over the way i look anymore... i'm able to picture myself slimmer in my head, even if my body isn't there yet].

Hi again Yvonne :)

If you can do that and picture yourself slim in your head, then you have already won a huge part of the battle IMO.

Imagery is unbelieveably powerful :D

Lacey..xx :)

I love the whole 'project' thing! i'm a planner and a hoper so diets are quite exciting for me at first - but there's the rub, after a week or two I'm soon bored and then start drifting. Bad Barb!

I'm with the "controllers" and "planners" - it's my project and having seen my body change has really kept me at it... I'm a firm believer that if something is important enough to you - you will achieve it! I make my weight a top priority - I ensure I am not late to exercise class and that I have my low cal snacks with me when I'm going out so I don't need to be forced into eating things I don't really want to, but am too hungry to refuse...

I love all of the stuff that goes with the weight loss - not feeling like dying when I climb stairs, my legs not rubbing raw together, my feet now don't look cracked and horrid, I don't need to wear things to "hide" - I feel more confident now... I don't feel "invisible" any more - when I was bigger I was ignored and not taken notice of, now I'm slimmer I get attention and noticed (possibly as I project myself more as well).

I don't see it as a diet - it shouldn't have an end, it is now my lifestyle...

Hi, couldn't agree more with all of you about the feeling of being in control, but the best part for me, is when I get to bed at night and I feel just a tiny bit hungry and my tummy feels a tiny bit flatter and I know I've had a good day and I don't feel stuffed to the gills and depressed!

Back