What exercises can I do that don't involve my ankle please?

rosie1234

Silver Member
Hi everyone. When I started doing jump rope I hurt my left and right ankle, but now my right ankle is fine and it is only my left ankle that hurts even when I walk on it. My doctor has advised me to rest my left ankle for a couple of weeks. I'm worried by not doing any properly hard working exercise that I will put on more and more pounds :( So I was just wondering if I could get some ideas and help on what sort of exercises I can do that don't involve my left ankle being used. Also how many calories would it burn in half an hour? Also if you have any you tube videos or any videos or links that would be really helpful as I can't seem to find many that help me.

Thank you very much :)

Personally I'd concentrate on getting your food intake right for a few weeks whilst you rest your ankle. Exercise isn't the most important aspect of weight loss, nutrition is, so it really won't hurt your efforts to not do any for a while. :) xx

Thanks Tracy :) I posted in the Xenical forum too when you told me about it :) Could you maybe when you're next in there just view my question about my diet. I wrote most of the things I eat. Would be very appreciated. Thanks again x

I'll have a look later - just off hospital visiting. :( There'll be folks in the Xen forum who can advise you better on exercise too. I don't exercise, so I know you can still lose lots without it, but there are friendly people there who do exercise. :) xx

Oh ok hope everything is ok and thanks. I wasn't sure whether I posted it in the right bit. Only just realised there is a exercise bit as well! Silly me lol

Thanks! My Mum is in hospital with a chest infection - she'd only been back home a week after being in there for two months!

I've posted on your Xenical thread. You've posted it in the diaries section, which is fine, but if you want to start a thread that you don't want to use as a diary just do it in the main Xenical bit. xx

Omg I'm so sorry to hear that. Bless her! I hope things are ok in the end xx

And oh ok I thought it might of been in the wrong bit once I looked around afterwards. Thank you for letting me know. I weigh in every Thursday so I will start a diary then :)

Hi everyone. When I started doing jump rope I hurt my left and right ankle, but now my right ankle is fine and it is only my left ankle that hurts even when I walk on it. My doctor has advised me to rest my left ankle for a couple of weeks. I'm worried by not doing any properly hard working exercise that I will put on more and more pounds :( So I was just wondering if I could get some ideas and help on what sort of exercises I can do that don't involve my left ankle being used. Also how many calories would it burn in half an hour? Also if you have any you tube videos or any videos or links that would be really helpful as I can't seem to find many that help me.

Hi rosie,
As a personal Trainer the best advice I can give is to rest that ankle! The more rest it gets the quicker it will heal, If you use it then it will worsen and wont be able to use it for longer therefore not exercising for longer. Rest the ankle completely. There are lots of things you can do. Doesn't have to be set exercises. While seated (resting ankle) do some shadow boxing, shadow box with weights, you could train with weights - bicep curls, shoulder press, overhead tricep press, seated pec fly etc. You could also include core stability. Leg raises, chrunches these both are exercises where you dont need to touch the floor with feet. You can cycle in the air while lay on back. There is plenty of exercising you can do without putting pressure on your ankle.

Hope your ankle heals soon :)

AjeFitness

Thanks for that AjeFitness. That was really helpful, lots of new things for me to try out :) Can't wait until my ankle is better! Would you suggest that I don't do jump rope again so that my ankle doesn't hurt again? Thanks again :)

Hi Rosie,
Your very welcome! Is jump rope skipping? sorry if that seems a dumb question lol. If it is skipping then I would suggest you continue doing it when ankle is fully fit. Skipping is excellent for fitness and also some people find it fun. Just try to be light on your toes and bouncey so that your feet and ankle arent putting much pressure on the floor. Hope your keeping up your exercises :). If it isnt skipping completely ignore this post lol

Aje Fitness

Yh it is lol. It's not a dumb question. I call it skipping too because I am from England but I sometimes say jump rope lol. How do I know when my ankle is fully better? Because some days I think it is fine and then other days it hurts again :( And I will do thanks :)

Im from Worcester in england too. Call it skipping. well dont do skipping for a few months. dont do anything serious on the ankle for a few months. Then slowly get into it and if you feel anything then stop and go to a doctor. If hasnt recovered after a few months you should go to physio.

Aje Fitness

Skipping it is! Lol...And thank you. It is getting better day by day but I won't do exercises like skipping because I don't want it to hurt again. I was suggested on here to buy 1 of the 10 minute solution DVD's. Do you know of them at all. There are so many to choose from!

I think the first thing for you is to remove the pain and make it fully risk free. Then you can start swimming for it to make the ankle stronger.

Skipping it is! Lol...And thank you. It is getting better day by day but I won't do exercises like skipping because I don't want it to hurt again. I was suggested on here to buy 1 of the 10 minute solution DVD's. Do you know of them at all. There are so many to choose from!

Hi rosie,
Im sorry but i've never ever heard of the 10 minute solutions dvds. My advice is just to rest the ankle until you feel you can go back into exercising on it gradually. In the meantime do other exercises that don't involve pressure on the ankle. I would not waste money on dvds. Its an injury that needs rest no dvd is going to recover it quicker lol

Thanks, it was suggested for once my ankle is back to normal though :) I haven't been doing any exercises which put pressure on my ankle. Thanks

Back