What happens when you have a tummy tuck?

Day 15 - Wimbledon!

Well had a good night sleep which is a revelation! Went to bed reasonably early for me but slept all the way through to 6am when Emily woke me up asking if it was windy outside!!

When you wake up the first thing you feel is this "grip" around your whole middle area as if you have bought at a tight belt and put it on the last eyelet.

Anyway intend to spend the day in bed watching tennis as I did a lot of moving about yesterday and the car journey really was uncomfortable.

Mike that's very sensible, I'm glad to see you're going to get some proper rest today. It will help you to heal quicker if you rest up ;)

Mike - rest rest and more rest today....keep taking the arnica as that will have an effect on the haemotoma...hopefully you won't have a Sigourney Weaver moment...:)

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day - hope it's complete with a glass of Pimms and some strawberries!!!

I'm glad you had a good appointment Mike, i heard of people whos fluid came through their scar and it would have bloody alarmed me if i hadnt already read up about it, so nothing to worry about, did they not put you on a course of antibiotics, i was when i had the first lot of drainage as a precaution, try to rest as much as possible, it will heal eventually.
Michelle

My mum had an operation last year to have 3 para-thyroid removed. Her scar ran from one side of her neck to the other (she looked like she had her throat slit!)

She had a haematoma it wasnt the size your sounds, but because of the area it was very painful for her, and they also warned her of the body expelling it :eek: Luckily for her, her body did eventually absorb it but it took many months to be gone altogether.

Hope you heal well Mandy

Day 15 - No change...

Well the lump on my right side is a no change lump! Not got any bigger which is good but also got no smaller, have noticed the numbness in my legs has got worse today but not sure if that is because I walked in and out of the hospital yesterday and felt like I had overdone it. As I said to the nurse I am numb from my nipples to my knees and that is no exaggeration (well slight but you get the idea!)

Anyway have been looking at the calendar today and suitable winding myself up as I have loads to do (Cambridge North Run, V Festival, Weekend in London, Work etc etc) and really can't be sitting in bed for weeks on end so am going to really make the effort this week to be up and about in the house even if I sit on the sofa, also hoping that the more I use my stomach muscles the more they will start to strengthen up as number 2's are still a major problemo and need to get moving to get moving lol !!

Bless you, you will probably feel much better after a number 2!!.. just don't push yourself to do too much too quickly otherwise you will go backwards and it will take longer to heal... don't fight it, just relax.. the more rest and relaxation you get the better cos in a few months when you are run ragged with your ripped body you will want to rest and won't be able to!!

Love

I think in cases like this Mike you need to listen to your body, and if it needs rest then rest it needs.
If you do to much before your ready it will hold up your healing, saying that i'm a bugger for doing things to soon, but i am a mind over matter person, i have 5 kids at home and have no time to be poorly, even if i am:cry:
Rest rest and even more rest
Michelle

Day 16 - Might have gone down a bit ?

I think the lump has gone down slightly ? I might be wrong but it looks a little better so well chuffed with that.

Still very very numb around my middle and my belly button has now dried out so much that it crunches when I move about which is stingy and not very nice.

Had a nice shower last night and was in there too long as some of the steristrip has come away from the scar so going to get some more today and cover it up again as she said it needed covering for 2 more weeks before taking it off and starting with the bio oil.

Still taking my arnica when I should and also on brufen and co-something or other which definately helps with the pain.

Can't yet sleep on my side which I miss loads but that will come in time.

Feeling more positive today which is more like the old me!

What good news for you Mike its great when you start to heal as you look at things in a different light. Heres to a speedy recovery and keep taking that Arnica I dont know anything else that helps you heal quicker.

You sound alot more upbeat today Mike, (must of been chatting about coffees last nite!!) bet your in need of a starbucks!! anyway, I hope the lump is going down. I wouldn't worry about the numbness too much, I had a emergency c-section last year and I am still numb...

Love

Fantastic Mike, i am sure your now turning a corner, and will feel better each day, dont get to soggy in the shower.
Michelle
Ps you may find you have parts which stay numb, very strage feeling, i have numb parts still LOL, and original surgery was oct 05

Now I really dont fancy a spicy tomato soup anymore.....
yup put me right off it!
Not sure it will explode, I think he was talking metaphorically (I hope so!), he did say though that the body is able to open the wound up and expel it which I thought in some way was really cool and what a clever little body I have!! In other ways it sounds gross LMAO!
I think it's both clever & lovely. the body is able to make the fluid collection,isolate it from the rest of you, move it to the edge & if it can't soak it back up it spits it out. That,to me is lke magic!
Hmmmmm I think some plastic cover too just in case to protect your mattress........lol.
Agreed. Have you got ine of those plastic/rubber draw sheets from when the lad was small?
A ruined mattress would really make you down.

Mike, still engrossed in your updates.
When I have my op's on 9th Aug, I'm hoping to return back to work on the 28th but am not sure how realistic this is from reading your diary of events!? My surgeon said that all being well I should be fine to return after 2 weeks, this is from tummy tuck & brest uplift surgery done at the same time.
Keep posting your progress and it sounds like you are on the raod to recovery now.

Mike, still engrossed in your updates.
When I have my op's on 9th Aug, I'm hoping to return back to work on the 28th but am not sure how realistic this is from reading your diary of events!? My surgeon said that all being well I should be fine to return after 2 weeks, this is from tummy tuck & brest uplift surgery done at the same time.
Keep posting your progress and it sounds like you are on the raod to recovery now.

Hiya well it was 2 weeks ago today that I went into hospital and 2 weeks ago tomorrow that I had the operation but there is no way I could return to work at the this point! I have tried really hard to not lay about and generally try and get active but I just can't see how you could be up and at them any quicker unless your body heals a lot quicker than mine! I know I am not getting any younger and have a self confessed low pain threshold but just the swelling and the lack of strength alone makes returning to work dangerous and a total non starter.

Will be interesting to compare your recovery to mine! Make sure you keep in touch so can see how you get on.

Mike

I think your healing ok Mike, most hospitals/clinics state upto 6 weeks for total recovery, with most people being almost back to normality in about 2 weeks, some it takes a little longer, if anyone wants to know the site i use, which has no advertising at all and is just normal people waiting to have or have had some kind of surgery then let me know, its very useful, and informative, i dont know what i would have done without the site, i only wish i found it prior to my ops, theres a board for different surgeries, ie a tummy tuck forum, breast forum, facelift forum ect, also a surgery abroad forum, and the best thing about it is unlike the daily mirror or linda briggs theres no deleting of posts, you get good and bad, and theres a thread with info about different surgeons to on the chit chat forum.
Michelle

Michelle, i'd llove to know the site, please. I may be able to find others that have had the same two op's done at the same time which would be great.

I agree though Mike, I think you're doing fab. My OH is very supportive about my surgery but confesses that men in general couldn't deal with it - quite an admission believe me.
Generally, I have a high pain threshold but everyone is an individual and with the traumas you had with your drains after surgery, you haven't had a smooth ride through this so all things considered I imagine that the professionals are more than pleased with your progress. :eek:

There is a pm but you are not yet elligible to use it....if you click on pompeyfan`s name there may be an option to email her.....!

I'm so happy you've had your TT Mike, all will be well just hang in there.

Back