What have you ended up putting with your slimming world meals out of need to find a third speed?

I have often found myself being 'inventive' when it comes to getting my third speed in my meals. Especially when I haven't been shopping in a while. Occasionally I find a gem like toast, peanut butter and satsuma, but other times I am not so lucky!
Just wondering if anyone has had any revelations or crazy combinations they would like to share?

I have pretty much swapped mash potato for mashed swede. I can't get enough of the stuff at the moment!

If we have a chicken or beef casserole I would leave out the potatoes and make mashed potatoes on the side for my Husband, whilst I would have mashed swede. If you're making a shepherds pie you can make a carrot and swede mash instead of potatoes or use half potatoes, half swede.

I have taken to using gem lettuce leaves now as 'wraps' instead of bread. I have lettuce and tuna mix today, which I would normally have on x2 40g wholemeal bread. Now I use lettuce leaves as little tune wraps so I get more speed but also save my hexB for the evening or cereal for breakfast.

Mushrooms are often my go-to speed food when I'm not sure what to do. Sometimes all I want is a bowl of pasta with pesto so to get my speed foods in I just fry up a whole load of mushrooms in fry-light and throw those in.

Grated carrots are another one that usually works quite well as you can throw those into things like bolognese, chilli etc. and they kind of disappear. When I make spaghetti I've also started using half normal spaghetti and half courgette spaghetti so I'm replacing half of it with speed food.

As orangesuitcase said, carrot and swede mash is excellent. I do the same thing by making stew without potatoes and then using carrot and swede mash instead of them.

For lunches, sometimes I just throw loads of vegetables into a bowl and cook them in the oven until they're soft. Yesterday I had a whole pepper, a whole onion, loads of mushrooms and half a can of sweetcorn (not speed but I love it!). I just ate it cold for lunch with some chicken. Sounds a bit grim but the flavour reminds me of the topping from a vegetable pizza, only without the bread and cheese :)

Some good tips here, I am liking the idea of the swede and carrot mash!

Peppers, on the vine tomatoes and mushrooms are my favourites to add to any meal.

Also adding celery to any one pot meal, so spag bol, chilli, stew etc. is a really easy way of getting speed food in :)

I just had eggs toast tomato mushrooms with baked beans. But with the baked beans i had chopped gherkins mixed through it. I often put gherkins with my food as some extra cheeky speed food. Also i kind of find its a little bit of a replacement of the vinegariness of tomato sauce.
Also thanks everyone for replying! It is super useful to find out the little tricks people find themselves using. Note to self-must get swede!

Some fab tips there ..this is my first week and need all the help i can get i have stuck to plan so il let you know how i get on at weigh in x

I always make sure I have loads of frozen veg in to add to my meals.

I went through a phase of having spiralised veg instead of pasta rice etc. It can be a bit expensive though if you're buying it in rather than doing it yourself. Since oh started doing sw I don't bother cos he won't eat it!

I bought one of those little handheld spiralisers. (Little green and clear plastic thing, Oxo good grips I think) Great for doing one or two courgettes. I make spaghetti bolognese and do half courgette, half spaghetti for lower carbs. Even my teenage son likes it like this and he thinks veg was put on this earth to poison us!

I bought one of those little handheld spiralisers. (Little green and clear plastic thing, Oxo good grips I think) Great for doing one or two courgettes. I make spaghetti bolognese and do half courgette, half spaghetti for lower carbs.

I do the same thing, courgette spaghetti is really nice and bulks out a pasta meal really well. Works well with butternut squash too, which I have with stir-fry in place of noodles.

I have thought about getting one to make my own, but I think I'd get bored pretty quick and give up using it. Why I love frozen veg so much - it's cheap, easy to store and already prepped.

I must admit, it does take a while and gives you arm ache. I didn't want to get one of those electric spiral users though, don't do it often enough and didnt want another kitchen gadget to take up work top space, do the little one is perfect for occasional use.

Last edited:
I have recently started putting frozen green beans with pretty much everything I cook. Spaghetti bolagnaise, byriani type rice dish, pasta sauce. A great way to bulk out meals for pretty cheap.

Yesterday i had roast sweet potato, potato and baked beans sprinkled liberally with sliced cucumber that i had pickled. It was pretty tasty albeit a little bizarre.

Back