What keeps you motivated?

Fantastic thread, and so encouraging... lots of wise words to take in and learn from. Thank you... it helps!
xxx

I have now reached the stage where work colleagues who have seen me daily have started suddenly to say, "have you lost weight?" and I say YES!! It is really nice to have people notice my hard work and i would be lying if I said that I don't like getting the complements.
I dont know if I will be able to maintain my current weight forever but I want to stay like this as long as I can. Im fascinated with being able to feel my hip bone easily and when stood in front of the mirror in my bra, it doesn't take a lot of breathing in before i can see all of my ribs and its so strange! At some point in my life i must have been like this before but i cant remember it and am enjoying it now.
I want to look like this "normally" and not just look like it because i have dieted down to it. Gonna stick with minimins forever and use the advice and other peoples journeys to inspire me.
Wot i writ makes sense to me, lol! x

Wot u writ makes sense to me too, honey! I think people saying taht you look slim is a great motivation, but bizarrely, sometimes negative stuff works just as well... I am very stubborn, I guess! I have a friend who is big, and her attitude has gone from skeptical to really undermining... she has been telling people I will get osteoporosis and my 'bones will just snap' if I'm not careful. And that I will look haggard etc. This is quite hurtful, as I really supported her a few years back when she lost about 6 stone, but sadly most of that went back on.

I know that the comments stem from her own problems, but feel there is a jealousy of some sort in there too that makes me feel sad. And her comments just make my other friends laugh, as I am in no danger at all of wasting away, or getting osteoporosis for that matter! But it makes me more determined than ever to stick to my CD and work the steps properly and then maintain... I will do it! ike you, Sleepy, want this to be the 'new normal'.

So... motivation. I think I had hit rock bottom, that my eating had reached 'disorder' level in a whole variety of ways and that I HAD to sort it or sink forever beneath the waves... that's how it felt. And from day one, CD felt like a rescue... it gave me back my focus, energy and hope. So CD itself was a great motivator. And for sticky moments, Minis has been a lifesaver - the wisdom and great examples of you guys has helped me to stay strong.

So that's me... sorting my emotional eating; feelings lots better for it; getting lots of support here; stubborn in the face of saboteurs; and loving my new slimmer shape!

xxx

I think feeling fitter, faster, leaner and stronger than I have ever been in my adult life is motivation for me...I also set myself new challenges (I am a fitness fanatic of sorts now) so I can get them and keep my exercising interesting...have also started mountain biking (changes keep me from being bored)...

Also feeling younger and being eyed up by younger men (teenagers, dare I say, sometimes, oh my word!) is a motivator for me...being able to wear what I want without feeling frumpy and the like.

Oh and I now only weigh in to check I am not losing too much weight (training hard for several challenges this year), how weird is that?!

Lol, go for it hun. I "borrowed" yours the other day so only fair :D x

I just read a few posts back and not letting the whole weight, maintenance thing become obsession can be hard...I mean we gained weight, stayed fat, tried various different diets, didn't lose weight, tried something else, got even fatter, then decided to do something about it in earnest...as soon as we decided to do it in earnest something clicked inside (head/body/soul) and this determination can be confused with obsession to outsiders...

An example - my beau gained weight, lost weight, gained it back again (in the space of less than a year) and now he is back to square one...he doesn't carry the ethos and the determination through to maintenance...he fails...he says I am obsessed, tries to encourage me to eat what I choose not to, yet I am the one maintaining and even having to watch I don't lose any more weight whilst training at the gym...I am not judging him, he is one example of a typical dieter who thinks that once the diet is over, it all falls into place...the mindset and the eating habits, the types of food, the exercise, etc all have to be worked on before you start to maintain your weight...otherwise we all know what happens...

So despite agreeing with not letting healthy choices overtake our lives, I do think we need to carry on with the moment we clicked, that same determination to be more...that's what carries us through to the happy place...and being slim/thin does not mean happiness...of course!

Reactions: KD
Too right Nexa. I prefer to call my obsession a hobby :D Admittedly, these days it's getting less so because it's more of a way of life, but even so it's a hobby of sorts I actually enjoy.

I used to think that it would be a prison sentence, but if you can find a way to maintain, that is fun to do, then it's more like a holiday :D

Some advice I received from well meaning friends in the early days could have sent me right back. I am so pleased that I get to chose what goes into my mouth and it's not left up to them :D

Great post Nexa, you're spot on there. Since I first started this thread I'm still obsessed about maintaining but at the same time I am no longer worrying about it if that makes sense?

I had a bit of a lightbulb moment a couple of days ago - I'd been approaching the aim of achieving my goal weight like frantically revising to pass an exam...then once it's over - phew and forget all about it and before you know it you've forgotten all you've learnt.

I'm now approaching CD more as an apprenticeship to slimdom - it gets you trained up to be slim but once you've finished it you just keep on applying your skills in the real world. Funnily enough since then my food cravings have settled down loads.

Sorry I've wandered off a bit there...

Ooh KD you have your pics up in your sig again - yay it's great for the inspiration!

xx

Thanks serena :)

Dead right about the apprenticeship thingy:cool:

Back