What takes you out of ketosis?

LisaC

Gold Member
Is it by totally going off plan or could even a small addition make the difference?

Earlier I made an omelette & asked my C if I should use fry light. She said only a little & that "it may be ok". If it wasn't, could something so tiny take me out of ketosis?

I wouldn't have thought so. I thought ketosis was related to carbs, so if there are no carbs in fry light it shouldn't be a problem. Think of the Atkins Diet, they go into ketosis and they eat loads of different things, so long as they are carb free and still stay in ketosis.

From personal experience i'd honestly say the only thing which can take you out ketosis is sugar and carbs! If I get desperate I cheat like a trooper and have some protein, it hasn't done me that much harm weight loss wise (6 stone 7lbs in 6 months!) But everyone is different, it's better to cheat with something you can have than pigging out on carbs! Hope this helps somewhat :)

Don't worry too much about ketosis. It isn't important. Sticking to the plan is important and is the only guaranteed route to weight loss. :)

For the record, fat won't take you out of ketosis. So, for example, cheese won't take you out of ketosis. But cheese contains rather a lot of calories and salt, so eating it would interfere with weight loss while keeping your ketostix nicely in the pink. So even if you fried your omelette in butter it wouldn't take you out of ketosis. But there are more calories in butter than Frylight - and calories, on this plan at least, do matter. If you're happy to use Frylight, go ahead. It'll only make a couple of calories difference. Alternatively, invest in a good non stick pan - and then you won't need any fat at all. :)

Don't worry too much about ketosis. It isn't important. Sticking to the plan is important and is the only guaranteed route to weight loss. :)

For the record, fat won't take you out of ketosis. So, for example, cheese won't take you out of ketosis. But cheese contains rather a lot of calories and salt, so eating it would interfere with weight loss while keeping your ketostix nicely in the pink. So even if you fried your omelette in butter it wouldn't take you out of ketosis. But there are more calories in butter than Frylight - and calories, on this plan at least, do matter. If you're happy to use Frylight, go ahead. It'll only make a couple of calories difference. Alternatively, invest in a good non stick pan - and then you won't need any fat at all. :)

Thanks Lily thats a big help. I've been looking into ketosis but obviously only know so much & didn't want to mess up so early using one tiny thing. So far I've only needed frylight for the omelette, everything else has cooked ok.

Back