What's everyone reading at the moment?

Something else i found..

Nella Last's War:the second world war diaries of housewife 49.

In September 1939, housewife and mother Nella Last began a regular diary that lasted for thirty years. The account that she left of life during the Second World War is moving, fascinating and unique. While Nella's younger son joined the army, she and the rest of the family tried to adapt to the transformed rhythms of life in Barrow-in-Furness, which suffered terribly from enemy bombing raids. Writing each dar for the 'Mass-Observation' project, Nella's diary entries tell a powerful story about the war years, covering everything from sex to the genuine fear of invasion. This was the period in which Nella reviewed her life and her marriage - which she eventually compared to slavery.
Ahh yes I watched the dramatisation of this on ITV with Victoria Wood and I loved it - watched it when it was repeated too. I never thought of getting the book so this is ANOTHER I'll be getting - thanks for reminding me of it, I bet the book is even better as that is often the case.

I'm loving this thread atm :D Thank you! X

Tommy's War: a first world war diary.

The extraordinary diaries of Thomas Cairns Livingstone represent twenty years of gorgeously idiosyncratic daily records of a middle-class Glasgow household, over a period spanning shortly before the Great War to the early 1930s. Thomas Cairns Livingstone, a mercantile book keeper, began his diaries in 1913, when he, his wife Agnes and their son 'wee Tommy' set up house in the Glasgow neighbourhood of Govanhill. For the next twenty years, Livingstone dutifully recorded each day's events in his Collins diaries, from small domestic dramas to troop movements as news of the Great War filtered back to the anxious home front. Rescued during a house clearance, the intricate details of these journals -- interspersed throughout with Livingstone's wonderfully warm and idiosyncratic illustrations -- provide a priceless record of the impression world events were making on the ordinary people at home and an extraordinary chronicle of the ups and downs of working-class life in the period immediately before, during and after the First World War.The details of the family's early life, notes about the (usually dreich) Glasgow weather, and comments on the carnage on the front and on the high seas, are written and illustrated with such warmth and charm that the story of this very ordinary household in the early part of the 20th century becomes completely addictive.

What about...
  • Goodnight mister tom...
  • the boy in the striped pyjamas
  • when hitler stole pink rabbit
few other ideas

xoxo
This too is going on my wishlist - I can't wait to read this one - honestly I won't know which one to read first after the books you've recommended. I love the sound of this one, sounds just up my street! Thanks again!

I will go & look up the last one on that list as I will read the other 2 after having seen the films.

Greatly appreciated! xoxo

Thank you so much BunnyHops for finding this for me - its not the review I found last night - goodness know what I came up with but it was late last night, thats my excuse!! :D

Sounds a fascinating book and definitely one I'm going to buy. I'm going to read Small Island first, it sounds great. I really appreciate all your help hun, you've been great - thank you! xoxox

its a really good book hun...quite haunting in places and powerful :)

xoxo

Ahh yes I watched the dramatisation of this on ITV with Victoria Wood and I loved it - watched it when it was repeated too. I never thought of getting the book so this is ANOTHER I'll be getting - thanks for reminding me of it, I bet the book is even better as that is often the case.

I'm loving this thread atm :D Thank you! X

i never caught it on the tv as im not a fan of victoria wood..im quite picky about what i watch once ive read the books, and sometimes the televised/film versions just arent as good... :)

This too is going on my wishlist - I can't wait to read this one - honestly I won't know which one to read first after the books you've recommended. I love the sound of this one, sounds just up my street! Thanks again!

I will go & look up the last one on that list as I will read the other 2 after having seen the films.

Greatly appreciated! xoxo

your welcome hun... :D

oh, dont forget you've got The Shack to read too lol.... theres never enough time to read anything ;)

its a really good book hun...quite haunting in places and powerful :)

xoxo
It sounds it just from the write up about it. I think it will be one I'll really enjoy.

i never caught it on the tv as im not a fan of victoria wood..im quite picky about what i watch once ive read the books, and sometimes the televised/film versions just arent as good... :)
I understand what you mean hun. I do like Victoria Wood and thought she was excellent in this adaptation but I know it won't be half as good as the book is going to be and I'm so looking forward to reading it.

your welcome hun... :D

oh, dont forget you've got The Shack to read too lol.... theres never enough time to read anything ;)
I had forgotton - thanks for reminding me :D

Miss Mango, I would suggest that before you read A thousand Splendid Suns, read The Kite Runner first, both by the same author Khaled Hosseini. Although the 2 stories are quite seperate, they form a timeline of what has happened in Afganistan, and how it has changed over the years.

My daughter got me to read them, and Ill be honest, 2 books about Afganistan would not have been high on my list of priorities to read. But both books are just simply the most amazing spellbinding stories that give you an insight into the people of Afganistan and the terrible things they have been through, and still continue to struggle with. These are 2 books that everyone really must read, and you will be gutted to finish either of them.

Miss Mango, I would suggest that before you read A thousand Splendid Suns, read The Kite Runner first, both by the same author Khaled Hosseini. Although the 2 stories are quite seperate, they form a timeline of what has happened in Afganistan, and how it has changed over the years.

My daughter got me to read them, and Ill be honest, 2 books about Afganistan would not have been high on my list of priorities to read. But both books are just simply the most amazing spellbinding stories that give you an insight into the people of Afganistan and the terrible things they have been through, and still continue to struggle with. These are 2 books that everyone really must read, and you will be gutted to finish either of them.

I concur!! Both amazing books!! I loved The Kite Runner as I was totally gripped by the story, but I was so inspired by A Thousand Splendid Suns from a woman's perspective and really felt so passionately about the female characters! I would encourage anyone to read them!!X

Thank you Lynn and funcurls, thats really helpful and I will definitely read the books in that order - sounds fascinating. I have to say Lynn that it wouldn't be my first idea to read about Afghan either but now you've explained the story I'm definitely interested - they're on my wishlist.

Have you read Half of a Yellow Sun?

Last edited:
finished Stephen Kings under the dome last night and now halft way through Mr Monk goes to Hawaii by Lee Goldberg v funny esp if you are a Monk fan like me!

finished Stephen Kings under the dome last night and now halft way through Mr Monk goes to Hawaii by Lee Goldberg v funny esp if you are a Monk fan like me!

ive not read a stephen king in years and years,not since my christopher pike and richard laymon days...i was sooooo into point horror then :D

Last edited:
Has anyone read The Death & Life of Charlie St Cloud by Ben Sherwood ( the book the new Zac Efron film is based on?) I haven't seen the film, but bought the book in Tesco today on the 2 for £8 deal along with The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (I've read the first one and reading the second one next)X

No hun I've not read that one, let us know what its like :) X

Just starting Shadowland by Alyson Noel. Its book three in the Immortals series :)

i have read these...theyre ok books.i think for young adult reads theyre ok,you can always see the twilight connection, well the twist anyway :D

I got Neris and Indias Idiot Proof Diet this week, and have read quite a lot of that. Its a very entertaining book, based on low carb eating, although it is a bit patronising when it comes to the actual diet part . But a good read all the same.

Im also rereading Laurie Lees As I Walked Out ONe Midsummer Morning. Ive mentioned it in a few posts recently and it got me thinking about it again. A wonderful book to read on dark grey days, as it brings back all the warmth and sunshine of a long ago Spain. Beautifully written, its almost like a relaxing meditation reading it.

I started to read Her Fearful Symmetry last night - I love it so far, really got me fascinated. I had to put the book down eventually at 3am as my eyes were rolling with tiredness. I got up to page 55. As soon as I am free later I'm gonna read more :D
Thanks for the recommendation BunnyHops, its a brill book :)

Has anyone read The Death & Life of Charlie St Cloud by Ben Sherwood ( the book the new Zac Efron film is based on?) I haven't seen the film, but bought the book in Tesco today on the 2 for £8 deal along with The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (I've read the first one and reading the second one next)X

I quite enjoyed Charlie St Cloud - but my OH absolutely loved it: it was her "Book of the Year" that year.

I started to read Her Fearful Symmetry last night - I love it so far, really got me fascinated. I had to put the book down eventually at 3am as my eyes were rolling with tiredness. I got up to page 55. As soon as I am free later I'm gonna read more :D
Thanks for the recommendation BunnyHops, its a brill book :)

I really loved this book: it was MY "BOTY" last year. I think Audrey Niffenegger has some brilliant ideas: I didn't think she could match The Time Traveller's Wife - but this comes close.

I'm currently reading "The Children's Book", by AS Byatt. I'm enjoying it, but it's far too long. It could be cut by at least 1/3 without really losing anything. At that length it would be a stunning read. As it is, it's fascinating, but a major undertaking.

Back