• Winter Ghosts.Kate Mosse
  • The Distant Hours.Kate Morton
  • Then Woman in Black.Susan Hill
  • The Other Boleyn Girl.Philippa Gregory
  • Crescendo.Becca Fitzpatrick
  • The Little Stranger.Sarah Waters
  • Room.Emma Donoghue
  • The Historian.Elizabeth Kostova
I'm in a bidding war at the moment on a couple of other books.

I got The Other Boleyn Girl as i really faniced seeing what the hype is like,im not sure if there is a reading order for Philippa Gregory?

Dark Matter

'What is it? What does it want? Why is it angry with me?' January 1937. Clouds of war are gathering over a fogbound London. Twenty-eight year old Jack is poor, lonely and desperate to change his life. So when he's offered the chance to be the wireless operator on an Arctic expedition, he jumps at it. Spirits are high as the ship leaves Norway: five men and eight huskies, crossing the Barents Sea by the light of the midnight sun. At last they reach the remote, uninhabited bay where they will camp for the next year. Gruhuken. But the Arctic summer is brief. As night returns to claim the land, Jack feels a creeping unease. One by one, his companions are forced to leave. He faces a stark choice. Stay or go. Soon he will see the last of the sun, as the polar night engulfs the camp in months of darkness. Soon he will reach the point of no return - when the sea will freeze, making escape impossible. And Gruhuken is not uninhabited. Jack is not alone. Something walks there in the dark.

This has really dood reviews in waterstones :D

Winter Ghosts
From the bestselling author of LABYRINTH and SEPULCHRE - a compelling story of ghosts and remembrance. Illustrated throughout by Brian Gallagher. The Great War took much more than lives. It robbed a generation of friends, lovers and futures. In Freddie Watson's case, it took his beloved brother and, at times, his peace of mind. In the winter of 1928, still seeking resolution, Freddie is travelling through the French Pyrenees. During a snowstorm, his car spins off the mountain road. He stumbles through woods, emerging in a tiny village. There he meets Fabrissa, a beautiful woman also mourning a lost generation. Over the course of one night, Fabrissa and Freddie share their stories. By the time dawn breaks, he will have stumbled across a tragic mystery that goes back through the centuries. By turns thrilling, poignant and haunting, this is a story of two lives touched by war and transformed by courage.

'Beautiful and haunting, this is a great story of love, loss and courage.' WOMAN 'Draw the curtains, bank up the fire and enjoy.' WATERSTONE'S BOOKS QUARTERLY 'an absorbing tale of loss and remembrance in the aftermath of the First World War ... Mosse excels at transporting her readers into another time and another world ... Mosse's depiction of life in Southern France between the wars is utterly convincing. Not only that, the book itself is a work of art - with stunning illustrations by artist Brian Gallagher and copies of vintage maps as endpapers.' -- Emma Lee-Potter THE EXPRESS 'a poignant, spooky study of mourning and redemption' MARIE CLAIRE 'The themes of love, loss and remembrance are explored to create a wonderfully haunting winter's tale. Stop the clock and read it in one sitting.' SHE 'an enchanting novella ... Mosse proves that she can weave a web of poignant and thrilling strands that will ensnare any reader.' THE LADY 'this is a great read ... Mosse writes movingly about loss and atmospherically about France' -- Wendy Holden DAILY MAIL 'Mosse flits between between the centuries, knitting together a compelling historical yarn with a more modern one' THE INDEPENDENT 'it takes much of what appeals about her bestselling novels - and adds a heartbreaking story - what is really haunting about Mosse's tale is the rawness of Freddie's grief' THE TIMES 'This beautifully illustrated novella is a gripping tale dealing wtih loss, resolution and the redeeming nature of love.' TAKE A BREAK'S FICTION FEAST

The Distant Hours

Edie Burchill and her mother have never been close, but when a long lost letter arrives with the return address of Milderhurst Castle, Kent, printed on its envelope, Edie begins to suspect that her mother's emotional distance masks an old secret. Evacuated from London as a thirteen year old girl, Edie's mother is chosen by the mysterious Juniper Blythe, and taken to live at Millderhurst Castle with the Blythe family. Fifty years later, Edie too is drawn to Milderhurst and the eccentric Sisters Blythe. Old ladies now, the three still live together, the twins nursing Juniper, whose abandonment by her fiance in 1941 plunged her into madness. Inside the decaying castle, Edie begins to unravel her mother's past. But there are other secrets hidden in the stones of Milderhurst Castle, and Edie is about to learn more than she expected. The truth of what happened in the distant hours has been waiting a long time for someone to find it...

The Woman in Black.
Proud and solitary, Eel Marsh House surveys the windswept reaches of the salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway. Arthur Kipps, a junior solicitor, is summoned to attend the funeral Mrs Alice Drablow, the house's sole inhabitant, unaware of the tragic secrets which lie hidden behind the shuttered windows. It is not until he glimpses a wasted young woman, dressed all in black, at the funeral, that a creeping sense of unease begins to take hold, a feeling deepened by the reluctance of the locals to talk of the woman in black - and her terrible purpose.

ive read this book before,i lent my copy out and didnt get it back :(

The Other Boleyn Girl

Fabulous historical novel set in the court of King Henry VIII. Mary Boleyn attracts the attention of the young king and becomes his mistress; when he tires of her, she sets out to school her sister, Anne, as a replacement. Politics and passion are inextricably bound together in this compelling drama. The Boleyn family is keen to rise through the ranks of society, and what better way to attract the attention of the most powerful in the land than to place their most beautiful young woman at court? But Mary becomes the king's mistress at a time of change. He needs his personal pleasures, but he also needs an heir. The unthinkable happens and the course of English history is irrevocably changed. For the women at the heart of the storm, they have only one weapon; and when it's no longer enough to be the mistress, Mary must groom her younger sister in the ways of the king. What happens next is common knowledge -- but here it is told in a way we've never heard it before, with all of Philippa Gregory's characteristic perceptiveness, backed by meticulous research and superb storytelling skills.

This does have rave reviews,almost 6 stars and no negative reviews,so excited about this one. :D

Crescendo
Nora should know better than to think her life can return to normal after falling in love with a fallen angel. And Nora's life isn't normal - her dad was murdered, and the facts about his death just don't add up. Now Nora's own life is in imminent danger. Are she and Patch strong enough for the battle ahead?

this is the follow up to the young adult read Hush Hush. outstanding reveiws for this too.

The Litter Stanger

After her award-winning trilogy of Victorian novels, Sarah Waters turned to the 1940s and wrote THE NIGHT WATCH, a tender and tragic novel set against the backdrop of wartime Britain. Shortlisted for both the Orange and the Man Booker, it went straight to number one in the bestseller chart. In a dusty post-war summer in rural Warwickshire, a doctor is called to a patient at Hundreds Hall. Home to the Ayres family for over two centuries, the Georgian house, once grand and handsome, is now in decline, its masonry crumbling, its gardens choked with weeds, the clock in its stable yard permanently fixed at twenty to nine. But are the Ayreses haunted by something more sinister than a dying way of life? Little does Dr Faraday know how closely, and how terrifyingly, their story is about to become entwined with his. Prepare yourself. From this wonderful writer who continues to astonish us, now comes a chilling ghost story.

Cant wait to read this one,it was part of Richard and Judy's bookclub.it has good reviews too!

Room
It's Jack's birthday, and he's excited about turning five. Jack lives with his Ma in Room, which has a locked door and a skylight, and measures 11 feet by 11 feet. He loves watching TV, and the cartoon characters he calls friends, but he knows that nothing he sees on screen is truly real - only him, Ma and the things in Room. Until the day Ma admits that there's a world outside ...Told in Jack's voice, "Room" is the story of a mother and son whose love lets them survive the impossible. Unsentimental and sometimes funny, devastating yet uplifting, "Room" is a novel like no other. 'Emma Donoghue's writing is superb alchemy, changing innocence into horror and horror into tenderness. "Room" is a book to read in one sitting. When it's over you look up: the world looks the same but you are somehow different and that feeling lingers for days' - Audrey Niffenegger. '"Room" is one of the most profoundly affecting books I've read in a long time. Jack moved me greatly. His voice, his story, his innocence, his love for Ma combine to create something very unusual and, I think, something very important ..."Room" deserves to reach the widest possible audience' - John Boyne. 'I loved "Room". Such incredible imagination, and dazzling use of language. And with all this, an entirely credible, endearing little boy. It's unlike anything I've ever read before' - Anita Shreve.

The Historian

Late one night, exploring her father's library, a young woman finds an ancient book and a cache of yellowing letters addressed ominously to 'My dear and unfortunate successor'. Her discovery plunges her into a world she never dreamed of - a labyrinth where the secrets of her father's past and her mother's mysterious fate connect to an evil hidden in the depths of history. In those few quiet moments, she unwittingly assumes a quest she will discover is her birthright - a hunt for the truth about Vlad the Impaler, the medieval ruler whose barbarous reign formed the basis of the Dracula myth. Deciphering obscure signs and hidden texts, reading codes worked into the fabric of medieval monastic traditions, and evading terrifying adversaries, one woman comes ever closer to the secret of her own past and a confrontation with the very definition of evil. Elizabeth Kostova's debut novel is an adventure of monumental proportions - a captivating tale that blends fact and fantasy, history and the present with an assurance that is almost unbearably suspenseful - and utterly unforgettable.

Oh, I LOVED that one! Enjoy it. It was quite a read, but fascinating.

Ooh tell me more...i probably wont read it for a bit as ive a lot to get through. im just drawn to this book for some reason :rolleyes::D

My new babies :D

• Dark Matter. Michelle Paver
  • Winter Ghosts.Kate Mosse
  • The Distant Hours.Kate Morton
  • Then Woman in Black.Susan Hill
  • The Other Boleyn Girl.Philippa Gregory
  • Crescendo.Becca Fitzpatrick
  • The Little Stranger.Sarah Waters
  • Room.Emma Donoghue
  • The Historian.Elizabeth Kostova
I'm in a bidding war at the moment on a couple of other books.

I got The Other Boleyn Girl as i really faniced seeing what the hype is like,im not sure if there is a reading order for Philippa Gregory?

Oooh wow how excited am I that you've posted these bunny :D I'm such a saddo :p I'm going to get myself The Distant Hours, The woman in Black, The other Boleyn Girl and The Little Stranger. Also going to see what The Night Watch is as it was mentioned in one of your write ups.
Thanks for posting all this :) This little lot is going on my wishlist.

Oh and I too have lent out books in the past and not gotton them back, one cheeky mare even said she had lent it to someone else to read - I had not given her permission to, she didn't even ask! So now I make a point of never lending my books out, or anything else for that matter, you never get the stuff back!

Ooh tell me more...i probably wont read it for a bit as ive a lot to get through. im just drawn to this book for some reason :rolleyes::D

Nope. No cheating! Just let me know what you think when you get there.

And I think you can just read "The Other Boleyn Girl" without any previous Philippa Gregory experience. It does stand alone.

My review wouldn't be entirely positive, though, so I'm interested that there weren't any negatives. Won't say more yet.

Oh and Winter Ghosts is on my wishlist too :D

Oooh wow how excited am I that you've posted these bunny :D I'm such a saddo :p I'm going to get myself The Distant Hours, The woman in Black, The other Boleyn Girl and The Little Stranger. Also going to see what The Night Watch is as it was mentioned in one of your write ups.
Thanks for posting all this :) This little lot is going on my wishlist.

Oh and I too have lent out books in the past and not gotton them back, one cheeky mare even said she had lent it to someone else to read - I had not given her permission to, she didn't even ask! So now I make a point of never lending my books out, or anything else for that matter, you never get the stuff back!

The Little Stranger is set in Warwickshire, which is just half an hour away from me. i do believe the the Hall in the book is based up on this place..

Welcome to Ragley Hall, Park and Gardens, Warwickshire

which is the most stunning place,the grounds house,gorgeous!

I'll probably have some other books to post about tomorrow,if i win them!!

Last edited:
Oh and Winter Ghosts is on my wishlist too :D

The author of The Winter Ghosts,Kate Mosse has wrote other books. she has a quick read called The Cave thats worth a look.

Im looking forward to the The Distant Hours, have you read any of her other books?

i havent lent a book out since i never got that one back :(:(
im extremely protective of my books,and i hate them being misstreated and bent up so i dont lend them anymore either :D

Nope. No cheating! Just let me know what you think when you get there.

And I think you can just read "The Other Boleyn Girl" without any previous Philippa Gregory experience. It does stand alone.

My review wouldn't be entirely positive, though, so I'm interested that there weren't any negatives. Won't say more yet.

ooooooh!!...i did read one or two reviews that were positive but had a few minor issues,i think wrote by people expecting a vampire/dracula novel :rolleyes:

I am just currently reading Sunbathing in the rain by Gwyneth Lewis - which is a cherrful book on her experience of recovering from clinical depression (which I am still in recover from this latest episode)

Blue-eyed Boy by Joanne Harris and loving it!!

The Little Stranger is set in Warwickshire, which is just half an hour away from me. i do believe the the Hall in the book is based up on this place..

Welcome to Ragley Hall, Park and Gardens, Warwickshire

which is the most stunning place,the grounds house,gorgeous!

I'll probably have some other books to post about tomorrow,if i win them!!
Oh thanks for that, I love that sort of thing and a bit of info on where a book/film is set or based. It certainly looks gorgeous - I love looking about anywhere like that.

Soon as you get new books then post about 'em :D You seem to have similar book tastes to me and you're giving me some fab ideas that I've never thought of reading nor even heard of! I'm quite new to reading as much as I am, I read before but only occasionally, now I'm reading all the time and really enjoying it :)

The author of The Winter Ghosts,Kate Mosse has wrote other books. she has a quick read called The Cave thats worth a look.

Im looking forward to the The Distant Hours, have you read any of her other books?

im extremely protective of my books,and i hate them being misstreated and bent up so i dont lend them anymore either :D
Right I'll have a look at that too. I've never read any books by any of the authors you listed - so I'm going to have a look back at what they've all written and I'll choose what I fancy.

I'm like that with my books. I hate dog earred pages, writing in books and crinkled pages. I keep my books pristine - do the same with all my belongings!

Ghost Town by Rachel Caine, it's book 9 of a set and have read all of them. Easy, addictive reading :)
Oh that sounds interesting - I'm going to have a look and see what they're about :)

Oh thanks for that, I love that sort of thing and a bit of info on where a book/film is set or based. It certainly looks gorgeous - I love looking about anywhere like that.

Soon as you get new books then post about 'em :D You seem to have similar book tastes to me and you're giving me some fab ideas that I've never thought of reading nor even heard of! I'm quite new to reading as much as I am, I read before but only occasionally, now I'm reading all the time and really enjoying it :)

Right I'll have a look at that too. I've never read any books by any of the authors you listed - so I'm going to have a look back at what they've all written and I'll choose what I fancy.

I'm like that with my books. I hate dog earred pages, writing in books and crinkled pages. I keep my books pristine - do the same with all my belongings!

Kate Morton,the author of The Distant Hours also wrote
  • The House at Riverton
  • The Forgotten Garden
The House at Riverton
Summer 1924: On the eve of a glittering Society party, by the lake of a grand English country house, a young poet takes his life. The only witnesses, sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, will never speak to each other again. Winter 1999: Grace Bradley, 98, one-time housemaid of Riverton Manor, is visited by a young director making a film about the poet's suicide. Ghosts awaken and memories, long-consigned to the dark reaches of Grace's mind, begin to sneak back through the cracks. A shocking secret threatens to emerge; something history has forgotten but Grace never could. A thrilling mystery and a compelling love story, "The House at Riverton" will appeal to readers of Ian McEwan's "Atonement", L.P. Hartley's "The Go-Between", and lovers of the film "Gosford Park".

The Forgotten Garden.

A lost child: On the eve of the First World War, a little girl is found abandoned on a ship to Australia. A mysterious woman called the Authoress had promised to look after her - but has disappeared without a trace. A terrible secret: On the night of her twenty-first birthday, Nell Andrews learns a secret that will change her life forever. Decades later, she embarks upon a search for the truth that leads her to the windswept Cornish coast and the strange and beautiful Blackhurst Manor, once owned by the aristocratic Mountrachet family.A mysterious inheritance: On Nell's death, her granddaughter, Cassandra, comes into an unexpected inheritance. Cliff Cottage and its forgotten garden are notorious amongst the Cornish locals for the secrets they hold - secrets about the doomed Mountrachet family and their ward Eliza Makepeace, a writer of dark Victorian fairytales. It is here that Cassandra will finally uncover the truth about the family, and solve the century-old mystery of a little girl lost.

Right thats another 2 going on my Waterstones wishlist (so I don't forget what I want :D ) Thanks Bunny ;)

Back