What's everyone reading at the moment?

Right thats another 2 going on my Waterstones wishlist (so I don't forget what I want :D ) Thanks Bunny ;)

your welcome hun :D my bids are ending soon,so will have a few more to add... maybe i should stop giving you ideas, you going to be overloaded he he :)

Ive just finished Judy Blume 'summer sisters'. i was a massive fan of hers as a kid and yet again she doesnt disappoint. a great read :D

Ive just finished Judy Blume 'summer sisters'. i was a massive fan of hers as a kid and yet again she doesnt disappoint. a great read :D

I remember when Are You There God?.. its me Margaret came out...that was back in the day when the library books were stamped by hand...2 weeks i waited for that book!! :D

your welcome hun :D my bids are ending soon,so will have a few more to add... maybe i should stop giving you ideas, you going to be overloaded he he :)
Haha, no just overload me, I've got a list and won't be able to buy all at once as don't have enough money but I'll get one a month or something - keep me going for ages :D

I remember when Are You There God?.. its me Margaret came out...that was back in the day when the library books were stamped by hand...2 weeks i waited for that book!! :D
Errr, are library books not stamped by hand anymore? :eek: I've not been to the library in years as my local ones have crap in ( :D )

How do they stamp them out now?!

Errr, are library books not stamped by hand anymore? :eek: I've not been to the library in years as my local ones have crap in ( :D )

How do they stamp them out now?!

OMG! :eek::eek:

its by computer now hun..the books have a special eletronic strip on the inside cover.

its all self service,you get your books ans scan it all yourself (like self scan in supermarkets) you get a ticket with the return date!...its fab! and you ca order in from other libraries!!

you must go!! :D:D:D

I'm reading nothing at the moment (just finished the power - the secrets sequel) for a bit of self indulgence.... self help books are not normally my thing. Although I have got a few cheeky ideas now thanks to you ladies!! x

OMG! :eek::eek:

its by computer now hun..the books have a special eletronic strip on the inside cover.

its all self service,you get your books ans scan it all yourself (like self scan in supermarkets) you get a ticket with the return date!...its fab! and you ca order in from other libraries!!

you must go!! :D:D:D
Ooooh!! I feel like an old person or someone outta a time slip or something :p
I will have to go and have a look then - last time I was in they had the barcode in the front of the book to scan but the little man behind the desk scanned that and then stamped it with the date for you :D

I feel well behind the times - old fogey that I am :p

I bought 3 new books today from Waterstones:- Dark Matters by Michelle Paver, His Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger and The Help by Kathryn Stockett!!! Goodness knows why, I have tons and tons of books in my 'to read' pile, but they'd been recommended and I couldn't resist!!!X

lol me too! i loved all her books. :D

I've just finished reading Her Fearful Symmetry, excellent book, loved every moment of reading it, bit disappointed that I have finished it now :D

I've just picked up The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which is a weird title but I'm enjoying it so far, it seems like it will be interesting and won't take me long to read it. Gonna move onto The Shack after that I think.

Good grief, Judy Blume!!! Now there's a blast from the past! I read all her books and LOVED them!! I think they helped me get through my teenage years feeling that someone out there understood me!!!X

I've found some more books that I want to read, thought I would post up for anyone else who likes this sort of thing :) Actually am reading We are at War atm and its fascinating - got to buy the other 2 yet though ;)

Our Hidden Lives: The Extraordinary diaries of Postwar Britain by Simon Garfield
"In 1936 anthropologist Tom Harrison, poet and journalist Charles Madge, and documentary filmmaker Humphrey Jennings set up the Mass Observation Project. The idea was simple: ordinary people would record, in diary form, the events of their everyday lives. An estimated one million pages eventually found their way to the archive - and it soon became clear this was more than anyone could digest. Today, the diaries are stored at the University of Sussex, where remarkably most remain unread. In Our Hidden Lives, Simon Garfield has skilfully woven a tapestry of diary entries in the rarely discussed but pivotal period of 1945 to 1948. The result is a moving, intriguing, funny, at times heartbreaking book - unashamedly populist in the spirit of Forgotten Voices or indeed Margaret Forster's Diary of an Ordinary Woman.

We are at War by Simon Garfield
Of all the accounts written about the Second World War, none are more compelling than the personal diaries of those who lived through it. "We Are At War" is the story of five everyday folk, who, living on the brink of chaos, recorded privately on paper their most intimate hopes and fears. Pam Ashford, a woman who keeps her head when all around are losing theirs, writes with comic genius about life in her Glasgow shipping office. Christopher Tomlin, a writing-paper salesman for whom business is booming, longs to be called up like his brother. Eileen Potter organises evacuations for flea-ridden children, while mother-of-three Tilly Rice is frustrated to be sent to Cornwall. And Maggie Joy Blunt tries day-by-day to keep a semblance of her ordinary life. Entering their world as they lived it, each diary entry is poignantly engrossing. Amid the tumultuous start to the war, these ordinary British people are by turns apprehensive and despairing, spirited and cheerful - and always fascinatingly, vividly real.

Diary of an Ordinary Woman by Margaret Forster
Margaret Forster presents the 'edited' diary of a woman, born in 1901, whose life spans the twentieth century. On the eve of the Great War, Millicent King begins to keep her journal and vividly records the dramas of everyday life in a family touched by war, tragedy, and money troubles. From bohemian London to Rome in the 1920s, her story moves on to a social worker and the build-up to another war, in which she drives ambulances through the bombed streets of London. Here is 20th-century woman in close-up coping with the tragedies and upheavals of women's lives from WWI to Greenham Common and beyond. A triumph of resolution and evocation, this is a beautifully observed story of an ordinary woman's life - a narrative where every word rings true.

Has anyone read The Forgotton Garden by Kate Morton? I just read the synopsis and its on my wishlist too :)

From Waterstones:
A lost child: On the eve of the First World War, a little girl is found abandoned on a ship to Australia. A mysterious woman called the Authoress had promised to look after her - but has disappeared without a trace. A terrible secret: On the night of her twenty-first birthday, Nell Andrews learns a secret that will change her life forever. Decades later, she embarks upon a search for the truth that leads her to the windswept Cornish coast and the strange and beautiful Blackhurst Manor, once owned by the aristocratic Mountrachet family.A mysterious inheritance: On Nell's death, her granddaughter, Cassandra, comes into an unexpected inheritance. Cliff Cottage and its forgotten garden are notorious amongst the Cornish locals for the secrets they hold - secrets about the doomed Mountrachet family and their ward Eliza Makepeace, a writer of dark Victorian fairytales. It is here that Cassandra will finally uncover the truth about the family, and solve the century-old mystery of a little girl lost.

They sound like great books MissMango ,ill go look at amazon now and add them to my wish list.

They sound like great books MissMango ,ill go look at amazon now and add them to my wish list.
Glad to have given some good recommendations Lynn. I'll have to get one a month otherwise my bank will be cleaned out :p

I've got some more I want so will post them up tomorrow so you can see what you think of those too:) X

i'm an avid reader & for my 40th birthday, my good friend got me 40 books both paperback and hardcover, hand picked favourites. I'm about 1/2 way through the stack ! lol

right now i'm reading Tell No-One by Harlan Coben :)

i'm an avid reader & for my 40th birthday, my good friend got me 40 books both paperback and hardcover, hand picked favourites. I'm about 1/2 way through the stack ! lol

I'm also an avid reader...Tell No-One is a really good book hun! I won't say any more about it though :)

I'm currently in the middle of 3 books:

1. Mortal Remains by Kathy Reichs

2. A Time To Kill - John Grisham (I wanted to see how similar it was to the film)

3. A Delusion of Satan - Frances Hill (true story of the Salem witch trials - very good for those with an interest in this period in history)

What a great idea for a present :) I love that.

'Tell No One' is fantastic, such a good book.

I'm reading 'The Ice Cream Girls' by Dorothy Koomson at the moment - only 2 chapters into it but I'm really liking it so far. Heard good things about it so I have high hopes for this book!

Back