What's everyone reading at the moment?

Just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett and trying to decide what to read next.

If you liked that, you may like The Long Song by Andrea Levy :)

[QI have that lined up to read soon! The reviews are fantastic! What did you think? I thoroughly enjoyed Water For Elephants and I'm currently reading The Crimson Petal and the White which is fascinating!! Brilliantly written- lures you in.. and quite shocking!!XUOTE][/QUOTE]

I've read the Crimson petal and the white and its one of my all time favourite books. Its brilliantly written and very descriptive. You want to read the follow up The Apple, which is a collection of short stories-the last one gives some indication of what happened to Sugar

[QI have that lined up to read soon! The reviews are fantastic! What did you think? I thoroughly enjoyed Water For Elephants and I'm currently reading The Crimson Petal and the White which is fascinating!! Brilliantly written- lures you in.. and quite shocking!!XUOTE]

I've read the Crimson petal and the white and its one of my all time favourite books. Its brilliantly written and very descriptive. You want to read the follow up The Apple, which is a collection of short stories-the last one gives some indication of what happened to Sugar[/QUOTE]

The Apple was great, i liked that it had stories of the other characters that didn't feature as much in the main book. I read The Crimson Petal and the White when it first came out, i like Michel Faber, great author, never quite know what you're going to get... :)

Room - Emma Donoghue

41NJJwpzwzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

'Jack is five. He lives with his Ma. They live in a single, locked room. They don’t have the key.
Jack and Ma are prisoners.'

This is an amazing book, I read it in one go. Its remarkably well written, from the viewpoint of the 5yr old main character Jack. It tells the story of Jack and his Ma and their life in the only world he knows, the Room. His mother was abducted and has been kept in the room, she is repeatedly raped by her abductor, Jack was born 2 years later.

If you havent read it, then you should add it to your list of 'to do's' ;)

41NJJwpzwzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

'Jack is five. He lives with his Ma. They live in a single, locked room. They don’t have the key.
Jack and Ma are prisoners.'

This is an amazing book, I read it in one go. Its remarkably well written, from the viewpoint of the 5yr old main character Jack. It tells the story of Jack and his Ma and their life in the only world he knows, the Room. His mother was abducted and has been kept in the room, she is repeatedly raped by her abductor, Jack was born 2 years later.

If you havent read it, then you should add it to your list of 'to do's' ;)

I had this as a arc, i really enjoyed it. it's very different from her usual writing..

I'm reading you've gone to far this time, sir!

Product Description

Have you ever woken up in the sultry heat of the morning, your hair and beard teeming with maggots, and then had potatoes picked out of your ears?

Have you ever felt the cold barrel of a semi automatic gun against your forehead?

When Danny Bent cycled 15,000 kilometres from the UK to India to raise money for ActionAid, it was a decision that took twenty years and one minute. For twenty years he had wanted to do something to raise money for charity. The one minute was when as their teacher he was put on the spot by his pupils and declared that the means was by bike, and he was going to India.

What he had signed up for was slogging along roads with trucks bearing down on him, unable to see and choking in the smog; shooting down treacherous descents with 100 foot drops, shaking with cold and too numb to brake; muscle burn and saddle sores; delirium and food poisoning; thirst and malnutrition; foul and insanitary conditions; life-threatening crises; obstructive border guards, crazed dogs and inquisitive passers-by.

'You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!' is a real and compelling blow-by-blow account of Danny's trip across Europe, the former Soviet Republics, Russia, China, Pakistan and India.

And what people he met! They are the true delight of this book, mostly charming, sometimes reckless, occasionally threatening, always unpredictable, and forever inviting Danny to be up for the challenge of entertaining them, in one instance by dancing in front of a packed stadium, in another by eating sheep's brains in a local night market.

Danny turns the wheels, you turn the pages. The pace is relentless. The story is both heart-stopping and heart-warming. The arrival is breakdown-and-cry emotional. And there's loads of fun and wonderment along the way too.

What a book! What a ride! Live your dream.

Go for it, Danny.

You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir! eBook: Danny Bent: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

And as I write currently free!
You dont need a kindle either to get this book for free, just download the kindle app for pc which is a free app on amazon.

I went through a phase of reading true stories a while ago and still love reading them (although i really can't bring myself to ever read a Dave Peltzer book again, after about 5 in the series i got bored of him)
Behind Closed Doors by Jenny Tomlin was very good (Martine Mccutcheon's mum)
For the love of Julie by Ann Ming is also good read this last summer.
I love the shopaholic series - probably cos it reminds me of me lol!
Last book i read was so predictable and boring fiction i cant even remember what it was called!
Will be taking up some of the recommendations on here for my lazy beach days though :)

Claire-Louise said:
[QI have that lined up to read soon! The reviews are fantastic! What did you think? I thoroughly enjoyed Water For Elephants and I'm currently reading The Crimson Petal and the White which is fascinating!! Brilliantly written- lures you in.. and quite shocking!!XUOTE]

I've read the Crimson petal and the white and its one of my all time favourite books. Its brilliantly written and very descriptive. You want to read the follow up The Apple, which is a collection of short stories-the last one gives some indication of what happened to Sugar[/QUOTE]

Ooh great, I look forward to it! I think its really clever how the author draws you in as if you're actually there with the characters and sometimes comes out with something quite shocking! Very descriptive as you say! It's a really individual writing style that I've never come across before and despite the subject matter being dark and intense it is kept refreshing light and humorous! I love it....right, back to the book....

I have just read Lauren Kate's Fallen and Torment. Brilliant books and can't wait for the third!!! Just downloaded 1984 onto my Kindle to read next!!!

so interesting to see what everybody is reading :)

i like chick lit best - nice easy , happy stories for me :flirt2:

me too mrs.a lol

ive actually bought some books that have been mentioned on here cuz ive googled them after seeing the title and thought 'oh that sounds good' :D so now ive got a stack of brand new shiny books to read :)

currently reading 'Remember Me?' by Sophie Kinsella (found all on my own with no help from this thread lol) its about a woman who has amnesia, am only a few chapters in but its kind of chick-lit with the sort of down to earth humour i like :D

I downloaded a kindle sample of Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson, read through the first few pages and then downloaded the whole book before I finished reading the sample! Absolutely hooked on it.

The story is about a 47 yr old woman who had some years before suffered a terrible accident (or trauma, not totally clear on that yet) that has resulted in severe amnesia. Every day when she wakes she has no idea where she is or that 20 odd years have gone> Everyday her husband has to explain who he is, where they live and what the daily routine is. Every day her doctor rings her to tell her where she keeps her journal, that she writes her thoughts and few memories into. This journal is key to her understanding her situation, and the fact that she is seeing this doctor without her husbands knowledge.

There is something unknown about the actual circumstances of how she lost her memory, and possibly something her husband is keeping from her. Im only about 20% the way through the book so im still getting to grips with the issues, but absolutley fascinating read and pretty much unputdownable.

Lynn_ said:
I downloaded a kindle sample of Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson, read through the first few pages and then downloaded the whole book before I finished reading the sample! Absolutely hooked on it.

The story is about a 47 yr old woman who had some years before suffered a terrible accident (or trauma, not totally clear on that yet) that has resulted in severe amnesia. Every day when she wakes she has no idea where she is or that 20 odd years have gone> Everyday her husband has to explain who he is, where they live and what the daily routine is. Every day her doctor rings her to tell her where she keeps her journal, that she writes her thoughts and few memories into. This journal is key to her understanding her situation, and the fact that she is seeing this doctor without her husbands knowledge.

There is something unknown about the actual circumstances of how she lost her memory, and possibly something her husband is keeping from her. Im only about 20% the way through the book so im still getting to grips with the issues, but absolutley fascinating read and pretty much unputdownable.

Sounds good might have to give it a go when I finish the bookclub one...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

I'm just reading Mystery Man by Bateman. It's a crime novel but very lighthearted and has made me laugh out loud in places.

For those who love a good thriller - have you read Sophie Hannah - one of my favourite crime writers?

You won't be disappointed with the film, Dudette. Although it couldn't possibly fit in everything from the book, it stayed true to the spirit of the book. Would recommend it if you loved the book.

I've not long finished reading this, and it's brilliant!! I also recommend, S J Bolton, The Awakening, Sacrifice, Blood Harvest and Now You See Me.. all brilliant!!

I'm reading The Girl Who Chased The Moon. I couldn't sleep last night and read 100 pages before forcing myself to put it down and go to bed :)

Back