What's everyone reading at the moment?

I'm reading The Dead Saint by Marilyn Brown Oden which was a freebie for the Kindle the other day. I am really enjoying it!

Quite often I pick up the freebies and if they don't grab me, into the archive they go but the ones I enjoy I leave on my Kindle. Amazon reckon you can fit about 3500 books on, but I'm taking no chances ;)

Ooo... love those... put me name down for Eric Northman... lol

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

sorry Sadie, i claimed Vampire Eric as mine many moons ago lol ;)

I saw this a couple hours ago, so looked it up on Amazon, read the reviews and was totally intrigued by it. I downloaded it to my Kindle and have already read a chunk of it. Wow is all I can say, very very fascinating story that has already morphed into something unexpected. Cant wait to see what happens next!

My friend read this and she didn't tell me anything to spoil it but she didn't like it and she said it made her feel a bit sick...i read her review and it just made me want to read it, plus i do like how Michel Faber writes...

I know what you mean though, it takes you somewhere completely unexpected..

I bought Under The Skin by MIchael Faber yesterday evening and ive finished it! Macabre and interesting story thats takes you on an unexpected journey and seriously makes you question certain aspects of exactly what the 'right to life' means. Its also very sad and depressing, and I need to shake it off with something lighter.

It was a lot like Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, which was another sad depressing but unputdownable book.

I'm currently reading Under The Skin, by Michel Faber.

Isserley always drove straight past a hitch-hiker when she first saw him, to give herself time to size him up. She was looking for big muscles: a hunk on legs. Puny, scrawny specimens were no use to her.​

A lone female scouts the Scottish Highlands in search of well-proportioned men and the reader is given to expect the unfolding of some latter-day psychosexual drama. But commonplace expectation is no guide for this strange and deeply unsettling book; small details at first, then more major clues, suggest that something deeply bizarre is afoot. What are the reason's for Isserley's extensive surgical scarring, her thick glasses (which are just glass), her excruciating backache? Who are the solitary few who work on the farm where her cottage is located? And why are they all nervous about the arrival of someone called Amlis Vess? The ensuing narrative is one of such cumulative, compelling strangeness that it almost defies description--the one thing that can be said with certainty is that Under The Skin is unlike anything else you have ever read. The result is a narrative of enormous imaginative and emotional coherence from a writer whose control of his medium is nearly flawless and who applies the rules of psychological realism to a fictional world that is terrifying and unearthly to the point that the reader's identification with Isserley becomes one of absolute sympathy.

...and I'm reading The Crimson Petal and the White (same author)! Have you read it?! Talk about intriguing!!! Same question to Lynn!X

I have The Crimson Petal and The White ready on my kindle for one of my holiday reads! Cant wait to get into it!

...and I'm reading The Crimson Petal and the White (same author)! Have you read it?! Talk about intriguing!!! Same question to Lynn!X

I read Crimson Petal just over a year ago, and loved it! I don't think the tv adaption did it justice though..

The Apple, may be worth a read..it explores some of the lesser known characters from Crimson Petal and their stories :)

I've just had to put down the book I was reading unfinished (Berlin Noir trilogy by Philip Kerr) which I hate to do, as i have Book Club on Tuesday and I should have been reading Room by Emma Donnoghue. I have heard mixed reviews about the book, so i look forward to forming my own opinion.

C x

Caitlin Moran's 'How to be a woman' is fantastic!

It's half biographical in her usual hilarious style (if you're familiar with her features in The Times) and half about modern/domestic feminism, which she calls the 'broken windows theory' on feminism, the no-tolerence approach'.

It's belly-straining-gasping-for-breath funny with these quiet interludes of thought provoking comments.

I have just finished reading Shantaram:
33600.jpg

Absolutely loved it - quite hard going in places but a fabulous, fabulous read!

And I have justs started reading Hooked: Confessions of a London Call Girl - it's an eye opener alright!! :p

51VDvN%2Be7DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

33600.jpg

And I have justs started reading Hooked: Confessions of a London Call Girl - it's an eye opener alright!! :p

51VDvN%2Be7DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hey Kat, I've been meaning to read Shantaram!! Everyone who's read it says it's good!! I'm on 'The Crimson Petal and the White' which I guess is a Victorian day version of Hooked!! as it's about prostitution in London back then!! Also eye opening stuff, infact my eyes have nearly popped out of their sockets in some bits!!!X

Katerpillar said:

I've bought Shantaram but not read it yet. It was recommended to me.

Finished Room - it was OK, but it didn't really grab me, I have to say. I might have found it more interesting had she explored the feelings and motivation of all the main characters involved, including the parents/grandparents rather than writing solely from the child's perspective.

I've just found out that, like myself, most of my book club buddies have been reading the wrong book. We should have been reading "I know why the caged bird sings" by Maya Angelou. So, Berlin Noir will have to wait for me a little longer.

C x

That's been out for ages! I bought it about a year ago! Think it might have been relaunched though....

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Stupid me. Away for work and left my kindle at home....stopped at the services and bought the slap....looking forward to it....

joanna25 said:
That's been out for ages! I bought it about a year ago! Think it might have been relaunched though....

Sorry, I meant 'about last night'

I'm doped up on painkillers atm thanks to an infection under my wisdom teeth, so I'm being really stupid!!

Aaah you're alright!!! Hope you're recovering from whatever resulted in the need for pain killers x

Back