What's everyone reading at the moment?

Yaay, a partner in crime! But seriously I feel that whilst for many who are spending it with their families, its a real treat, there are a huge number of people who are alone, and this time of year really highlights this! It's also as you say a sad reminder of loss, or what once was. Anyway I'm working most of it so i'll be kept busy and in a way I'd rather be busy helping those stuck in hosp than sitting at home and getting an increasing waistline for the sake of it! Then a week off from 28th! I really do look forward to seeing my parents over NY- we're going to be really exciting and get some M&S 2 for 10 quid meals as we know how to celebrate in style lol! Then see NY in to Jools Holland!

I had my Kindle (affectionately called Mr Kindles) for my Bday in March! I've always been an avid reader but I'm now reading more than ever! The best pressie I've ever had! I tried ot out on holiday 3 weeks ago and it was so lovely not to think about which books, and now many, to take! I used to be one of the synics...ooh but what about the smell of a book, the action of turning a page, etc etc, but was completely converted! Now it just makes so much more sense and i love the sheer impulsiveness it alllows! Quite a few times people have recommended a book to me and on its gone in a jiffy! X

Last edited:
I've just finished The Pillars of the Earth & thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I'm now on the next book World Without End & I'm confused:confused: on the back of the book it says two centuries later, but it's set in 14th Century, where the first book is set in the 18th Century.

Can anyone explain please;)

You've confused me, because Pillars of the Earth was definitely set in the 12th century. It's all set against an historical backdrop so there can be no doubt. I think you had a brain fart ;) :p :D

Yaay, a partner in crime! But seriously I feel that whilst for many who are spending it with their families, its a real treat, there are a huge number of people who are alone, and this time of year really highlights this! It's also as you say a sad reminder of loss, or what once was. Anyway I'm working most of it so i'll be kept busy and in a way I'd rather be busy helping those stuck in hosp than sitting at home and getting an increasing waistline for the sake of it! Then a week off from 28th! I really do look forward to seeing my parents over NY- we're going to be really exciting and get some M&S 2 for 10 quid meals as we know how to celebrate in style lol! Then see NY in to Jools Holland!

I had my Kindle (affectionately called Mr Kindles) for my Bday in March! I've always been an avid reader but I'm now reading more than ever! The best pressie I've ever had! I tried ot out on holiday 3 weeks ago and it was so lovely not to think about which books, and now many, to take! I used to be one of the synics...ooh but what about the smell of a book, the action of turning a page, etc etc, but was completely converted! Now it just makes so much more sense and i love the sheer impulsiveness it alllows! Quite a few times people have recommended a book to me and on its gone in a jiffy! X

We are open for a few hours, but Kev has asked some of the old folk from the home up the road to join us for dinner after we shut, otherwise we will be on our own, no Charlie this year... I expect a phone call, but late afternoon when he surfaces... I put on a brave face, but would sooner just sit in my Jammies and watch a good vampire movie, or read (on my wonderful Kindle!)... I like you was one of those people who thought a kindle was never going to replace the feel of a book, but I was so wrong! The life we lead now, moving from pub to pub, has made me realise that I need to streamline what I carry with me, books, ornamental stuff, etc... I am even listing my Disney Villains collection on e-bay now so that I can pack easier next time, and as we never know where we will end up, it makes more sense not to drag stuff around that might get damaged or lost... I hope you manage to have a little peace over the silly season... We can always escape into a good book... Best wishes... Chelle... xx

I'm reading a biography of Natalie Wood called "Natasha" by Suzanne Finstead. I saw a file about her on True Movies recently and she was a very fascinating life and died long before her time.

I'm reading 'Hostile Witness' by Rebecca Forster. It's about a 16 year old girl who is charged with killing her stepfather by starting a fire. Her stepfather was the Chief Justice of the California Supreme Court so it's all about how everyone in the story has different agendas, whether it's political, family, legal etc. It was a freebie for the Kindle so I didn't know what to expect, but I'm really enjoying it so far!

im reading martina coles new book . eas told it was not her best one and i might not like it but so far so good

I loved Martina's first book best - think it was called Dangerous Lady....was brilliant read and could even read it again. I am nearly finished reading Dead Run by P J Tracy which has Been ok but found it hard to get to know/like the characters. Think this is because it is the third book in a series and I usually like to read books in order.

I have just finished reading Snow Blind by PJ Tracy! I agree its not as easy to get into the books as with other writers but try the earlier ones esp Want to Play cause that is actually very good.

I'm now reading 'The Snowman' by Jo Nesbo - so far it's really gripping and very well written! I'm liking his style! X

Just started reading "Trust Me, I'm a Vet" by Cathy Woodman. Seems like an easy read and came as a cheap double pack in Tesco so have the next one to look forward too. Love my animals so hoping for some light hearted escapism. Shall let you know if it's any good xx

Ive been doing a lot 'light reading' recently so am going to get my teeth into something a bit different

Cant decide between re reading the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon or whether to start reading Kathy Reichs books...

I've been reading the Kathy Reichs books over the last few months. I thought I would try them as something a bit outside my normal choice as gruesome doesn't usually appeal to me. However, these books are so well written/researched that the nasty bits are interesting rather than macabre. You learn more about bug development than you ever realised you wanted to know :rotflmao: I'm nearly up to date with the series now, I just have Mortal Remains/Spider Bones (depending on where it was published) and the latest one to go.

Funny you should say about the Outlander series too as I've been wondering whether to try it, I'm not convinced it would appeal to me so it's on my list of possibles. I have a huge load of books to read first but I may yet give it a go. If you decide to try them, I'd be interested to hear what you think!

I've just finished Revelation, the 4th Shardlake book by CJ Sansom. It was really excellent - I was up to 2.30 in the morning finishing it!

That was quite an intense read so I'm having a bit of light-reading now and have just started Tom Holt's "The Portable Door". I read it years ago and found it very funny then. I've just added it to my kindle collection which is building up quite nicely!

Have just finished the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. Surprised by just how much I actually enjoyed them. Nice escapism with some great information on the Greek gods thrown in.

Trying to decide what to read next; The Colour Purple, Earth Children series (Jean Auel), or the Jack Ryan books by Tom Clancy. All are re-reads but not sure what I fancy. Or maybe I'll see if there are any other Greek gods books by Rick Riordan.

I'm reading the rizzoli and isles books really good x

Just finished Patrica Cornwell's Port Mortuary and now on The Nosferatu Scrolls... Both on my shiney new kindle...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

dextersmum said:
Want a kindle real bad but have soooo many books to read first!

The sensible option would be to read the books you have first, the FAR more exciting option is to just bite the bullet and get a Kindle if you really want one!! I say life's too short, and you could always sell some of your current books on EBay or Amazon Marketplace! Then download the ones you really want onto said Kindle! Ooh I'm a bad influence aren't I! Only because that's exactly what I did....and I still have piles of paperbacks and hardbacks unread and abandoned! XxX

I second what funcurls said, I love my kindle.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Back