What's everyone reading at the moment?

I'm in the middle of Hunger Games too, loving them! I'm about 100 pages from the end of the second book and just think they're fab. I've also seen Battle Royale and there are definite similarities...have to root out that film actually haven't seen it in ages! But I like how Suzanne Collins has pushed it a bit further with the reality tv side of it (don't think thats part of Battle Royale, but like I said it's been ages, so sorry if I'm wrong)

Next up is the 2nd in George R.R. Martin's Fire and Ice series, I'm hoping to get it read before the new series comes back on screen.

It's so long since I've seen battle royale. The kids had explosive collars that could be remotely detonated for rule breaking. I want to see it again.

My hunger games books arrived this morning!! Just about to settle down with a cuppa and get started on the first :)

Just finished The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Really enjoyed it, but there were many unanswered questions I had at the end. But I think the author intended that to be the case and left it to the reader to answer them. I definitely want to read more of her books.

So, up next is Room by Emma Donahue (?sp). Decided to give this a go after being convinced by other readers on here :)

I devoured The Hunger Games in a day!! Soo good! But gutted as I realised I have bought the 1st and 3rd books rather than 1st and 2nd so I need to track down a copy ASAP!!!

Minimog - glad you liked Handmaids Tale. It's a good sign you'll like Atwoods other stuff :)

Has anyone read On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan?? I thought it was absolutely stunning, I didn't read it for ages as I wasn't sure about the concept, but I thought it was absolutely brilliant and so heartbreaking that a whole relationship can depend on the (metaphorical) toss of a coin. I do love a lot of his books but others I find rather difficult - atonement, for example, I found really boring!!

Have just started "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt - a memoir of childhood. Remember seeing this on telly ages ago!

dextersmum said:
Have just started "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt - a memoir of childhood. Remember seeing this on telly ages ago!

I really liked Angela's Ashes. Enjoy:)

I'm enjoying Room so far. Completely different to anything I've read before which is good:)

Really wanting to read 'the Woman in Black' now, I'm going to see it in a few weeks at the cinema and I'd like to read it first.

I really liked Angela's Ashes. Enjoy:)

I'm enjoying Room so far. Completely different to anything I've read before which is good:)

Really wanting to read 'the Woman in Black' now, I'm going to see it in a few weeks at the cinema and I'd like to read it first.

I loved Room.......like you say very different.

I always prefer to read the book before seeing the film xx

dextersmum said:
I loved Room.......like you say very different.

I always prefer to read the book before seeing the film xx

Me too. Films can't fit in as much detail as the book can, and I like to picture the characters as I imagine them, rather than how Hollywood tells me I should see them.

The author of Room has a new book out. Saw it advertised on a billboard at a train station last week.

Mini_Mog said:
Me too. Films can't fit in as much detail as the book can, and I like to picture the characters as I imagine them, rather than how Hollywood tells me I should see them.

The author of Room has a new book out. Saw it advertised on a billboard at a train station last week.

I much prefer to read the book before seeing the film if possible. The only trouble is that I normally then end up disliking the film as parts are taken out or it's different to how I imagined characters/places!!! Suppose that's inevitable though!!xx

Gave up on pride and prejudice for now.. So I'm reading the woman in black by Susan hill

jo-85 said:
I'm reading a bit of chick lit at the mo cecelia aherne the book of life. Her books are chick lit but are always interesting and have a different angle to them.

She's done some really good books! Unusual and interesting x

katiebaby said:
Gave up on pride and prejudice for now.. So I'm reading the woman in black by Susan hill

Let us know how you find woman in black I downloaded this onto my kindle the other day and looking forward to getting it started but finishing other book first.

The Woman in Black is brilliant. I'm hoping to see the film this week, but I know they've changed the ending (just not sure to what)

I read Angela's Ashes on holiday . . . it wasn't the most cheerful of books, but interesting! How I wanted to get my hands on the father by the end of it!

Missychick3 said:
Let us know how you find woman in black I downloaded this onto my kindle the other day and looking forward to getting it started but finishing other book first.

I'll let you know.. So far so good. I'm off to watch the film Wednesday so need to read it quick smart

Back