Whats for tea tonight?

I made a SW cottage pie yesterday with a swede and potato top so I had some of the with a big salad.
It was really really tasty! Hubby loved it too :)

(There's another portion left that I am planning on having for lunch tomorrow - will it still be ok to eat then as I made it yesterday???)

Slow cooked vindaloo lamb (its been in the oven since 1pm and will be done at about 7pm), with carrots and leeks cooked with coriander and lime. And roasted bombay potatoes. Technically it's all syn free as I make my own curry paste and spice mixes without oils. But it seems so naughty that it probably isn't! Can't wait!

Sounds really good - can you share the recipe for the lamb and the potatoes?

DSC_0134.JPG Meatball Pasta Bake with Salad and balsamic glaze

I erm ended up ordering Dominos oops! Only had 4 slices of a large Texas BBQ pizza but still... I think, with hubby's birthday on Tuesday as well, I shall be gaining this week! Oh well I've enjoyed it!

I erm ended up ordering Dominos oops! Only had 4 slices of a large Texas BBQ pizza but still... I think, with hubby's birthday on Tuesday as well, I shall be gaining this week! Oh well I've enjoyed it!

Ooh my favourite :) hope you loved it :)

Ooh my favourite :) hope you loved it :)
Oh yes I'm a big Dominos fan! And they were very generous with the BBQ sauce the time! Happy days! :)

Sounds really good - can you share the recipe for the lamb and the potatoes?

Of course:

The lamb was a 1.5kg lamb shoulder. I trimmed off the excess fat, marinaded it in the below 'paste' for 2 hours in the morning, and then put it in the oven at 70C for 5 hours tightly covered in tin toil, then turned up the heat to 150C for the final 1.5 hours with the tin foil removed.

I marinated it in a home-made curry paste with the following toasted spices:

2tsp cumin seeds
1tsp black peppercorns
2tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp ground fenugreek

Dry fry (with some FryLight) the above for a minute or two, until the mustard seeds start to pop and the smells are yummy. It is easy to over-fry these and get a bitter taste so be careful!

In a pestle and mortar, mash together the above toasted spices with 4 garlic cloves, 2 (or as many as you can handle) fresh red chillis, a handful of fresh coriander leaf and stalks, and a bit of fresh ginger (about half a thumb's worth), add a dash or two of red wine vinegar and a few tablespoons of water. This will give you a lovely paste (I make this in BIG batches for curries and keep it in tupperware in the fridge for up to a week).

Rub this all over the lamb, add a half of a tin of chopped tomatoes to help it go further if you think it needs it (use the rest in the bombay potatoes), depends on the size of your lamb shoulder - chopped tomatoes are generally sweet and have lots of natural sugars so when slow cooking they caramelise really nicely.

Cook in the oven, in a roasting tin as above.

The bombay roast potatoes:

Peel & par boil the potatoes
Drain the water, put the potatoes back in the saucepan and add the following ground spices:

1tbsp ground cumin
1tbsp ground coriander
a good pinch of black pepper

Spray on some frylight, put a lid on and do an arm workout (shake the potatoes up and down to get the edges roughed up and covered in the spices). Roast them in a roasting tin/pan/whatever for 30 minutes. Add the other half of the chopped tomatoes (from the lamb) and roast another 10-20 minutes until they have some crispy bits but also nice and squidgy!

The carrots and leeks:
Chopped up and steamed over boiling water for 10 minutes with a handful of chopped coriander and squeezed lime juice over just before serving.

I also made a gravy in the pan the lamb had cooked in (while letting the lamb rest for 30 mins), by adding water to the juices (totally synful and naughty but lovely!)

This really is a rough approximation of the spices and timings, but essentially it is a normal roast dinner with ooooodles of spices (yummy). It is a favourite in our house and will most definitely be done again an again and again. The lamb was melt in the mouth delicious and we have loads of leftovers for tomorrow and Tuesday!

I adapted this from Simon Rimmer's Pulled Vindaloo Lamb recipe (google it for his recipe) because we love curry and love lamb and LOVE sunday dinner!

Not a bloody clue, and leaving for work in about 2 minutes ..... Gotta take both kids to two different activities tonight and I'm soooooooo disorganised !!! Aaaggghhhh :)

Moshie said:
Not a bloody clue, and leaving for work in about 2 minutes ..... Gotta take both kids to two different activities tonight and I'm soooooooo disorganised !!! Aaaggghhhh :)

My fail safes for these days are frozen baked potatoes with beans/tuna etc, currently on offer in Asda and Tesco ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

steamed salmon and making dressing of 1tsp honey, 1tsp wholegrain mustard and half tsp light soy sauce with wholewheat pasta and veg

I've tried sticky chicken before and wasn't nice for me so haven't tried it again.

Hopefully to the Carvery tonight.... havent got anything out of the freezer so got to go now!

Back