When you have to lose half of yourself...

Book-Worm

Silver Member
Hello everyone.

Like many of you on here, I have a lot of weight to lose, more than I can comprehend! To give you an idea, I have a 42 BMI. :cry:

I am following a VLCD and I am a very long time lurker on minimins and thought that I had to join this time as I could do with the help. :)

I want to lose weight for many reason, but the main one is my health. I do not have any health problem at this stage, a miracle when you consider how heavy and unhealthy I am. :eek: And I would like to remain healthy as long as possible!

I had my light bulb moment when I was out with my husband this weekend. We were walking back to the car, up a hill and I told him how I wanted to go to a certain shop up the hill. But I was so out of breath that I decided not to go! I couldn't walk a further few yards of a gentle hill :eek:

And also I am a little vain and wouldn't mind looking a bit more attractive and wearing clothes for my age range :eek: I know it seems futile but it does spur me on.

I am on Day 2 of my VLCD and so far I am obsessed with food! I think of food, dream of food, talk of food all the time! Even the cat's food smells yummy :eek:

hello and welcome along :)

I have a lot to lose, and in feb decided that this time its going, I can't live like this anylonger, no life and no quality of life.

I am doing my own thing this time, healthy eating and exercise..and so far so good, its working!

You will receive lots of support on here, everyone is so friendly and we all understand. I totally relate to your climbing the hill experience. My lightbulb moment was in a hotel for valentines weekend, i avoid mirrors and cameras at all costs, but caught sight of myself in the hotel mirror and was absolutely shocked, horrified and depressed, I knew i was big, and no size 12 by any means, but i didn't truly realise i looked like 'that'!!!! :eek:

Anyway, enough about me, good luck with your lifestyle change, when are you planning to weigh in?

I too am doing this for health reasons and to look and feel a bit more attractive. It won't be totally easy, but it will be worth it! :)

I look forward to chatting with you, i can usually be found on the weight loss diary section every day, but i do jump around the forum into other sections too :D

Have a good day!

Hi RainbowRose! Thank you ever so much for your lovely message! :)

My WI are on Tuesdays, the new highlight of my week, haha (hopefully!).

I can relate to the "no mirror, no picture" thing either. I got married not that long ago and on our honeymoon, I refused to have any picture of myself taken. It did upset my husband a little so I said yes to one of us together sitting by the sea. But that's all!

I think you summed it up pretty well when you said it is about "quality of life". It encompasses the big and the not so big things about being a healthier weight. For me, it is my last attempt. If I can't do it this time then I am not sure I ever will. I HAVE TO DO IT. I can't, for the life of me, keep living like this :(

I will go read your diary if I can (as I know newbies have restricted rights regarding some diaries section).

xxx

Hello BookWorm. I'm new to this site too! I normally just lurk but have signed up just so I can give you some motivation.

Never think that it's futile to aim for 50% weightloss, because it is not! I used to think like that for many many years, and because I thought it couldn't be done, I didn't even bother. As a result, the weight kept creeping on, until I was at a BMI of 46. I started Cambridge 7 months ago and I have lost 7 stone so far - at a BMI of 31 and still going strong. I lost my mojo a few days back and have been on a massive binge the last week - but am back onto sole source and hoping to get to goal by the end of July.

So, don't give up - it is extremely doable and you will get there. No matter where your "there" is!!

Hello BookWorm. I'm new to this site too! I normally just lurk but have signed up just so I can give you some motivation.

Never think that it's futile to aim for 50% weightloss, because it is not! I used to think like that for many many years, and because I thought it couldn't be done, I didn't even bother. As a result, the weight kept creeping on, until I was at a BMI of 46. I started Cambridge 7 months ago and I have lost 7 stone so far - at a BMI of 31 and still going strong. I lost my mojo a few days back and have been on a massive binge the last week - but am back onto sole source and hoping to get to goal by the end of July.

So, don't give up - it is extremely doable and you will get there. No matter where your "there" is!!

Wow Shingai, this is amazing!!! And thank you so much for sharing with me. How long did it take you to get used to CD? My counsellor told me it can take up to 2 weeks for people to stop obsessing about food and eating etc.

Well, 7 months on I have still not stopped obsessing about food, lol. My favourite pasttime now is watching cookery shows on telly, and I have bought loads of cookery books and kitchen equipment in the last few months too. BUT, it only took me a week to get used to having the Cambridge products instead of conventional food. Only three days to get into ketosis and stop feeling hungry and lerthagic. Only a week to start feeling wonderful, lighter, and happier. It is really worth it so hang in there through the tough times. The good thing is there is a variety of products and flavours to choose from, so try different combinations until you find the one which works for you.

So the lethargic feeling go away? I'm reassured because I'm feeling very lethargic today! I know I'm quite lazy usually, but I even struggled to wash this morning :eek:

Hopefully in a week time I will feel lighter too! How much do people lose in their first week usually?

What a strong woman you are! All this time dieting and you're still going strong!

Hope you are having a good day Bookworm, its so warm here today that I have realised ANOTHER reason for getting rid of the weight THIS TIME :D

I look forward to following your progress and fingers crossed for tuesday's weigh in!

I don't pose for ANY photos, I am the one who always volunteers to take them. However, last week i wanted some 'before' photos, so my daughter took a few and i wanted it over as quick as possible :eek:

You should be able to access my diary, it is still in the diary page and not in any of the member sections.

Have a great weekend!

Hope you are having a good day Bookworm, its so warm here today that I have realised ANOTHER reason for getting rid of the weight THIS TIME :D

I look forward to following your progress and fingers crossed for tuesday's weigh in!

I don't pose for ANY photos, I am the one who always volunteers to take them. However, last week i wanted some 'before' photos, so my daughter took a few and i wanted it over as quick as possible :eek:

You should be able to access my diary, it is still in the diary page and not in any of the member sections.

Have a great weekend!

I was saying the same thing to my friend today! I'm sure the heat would be easier to bear if I didn't have this fat suit on all the time!
:eek: I have to do the before photos too. But I will not look at them until at least Month 2! That will depress me too much :(

I am almost finished with your diary :D What an inspiration you are!!!

I'm very moody today for some reason. It's almost like I'm in withdrawal or something (not that I have experienced any type of withdrawal before but I recognise the symptoms!)

Off I go to read more! xx

Crikey bookworm, thankyou for reading my diary!!!! :) Pat on the back for trawling through those pages!

Everyone is so supportive to me, it really truly helps. You should think about starting one, i for one, would definately pop in every day.

Well here's to both of us having our last uncomfortable summer season this year, next year its shorts and vest tops for us in the heatwave. Or in your case, a bikini...i'm too old to go that far!!!!! :eek:

Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

I want to eat! I didn't think doing a food replacement diet would be so hard. But I'm holding fast. Day 5 tomorrow and our guest isn't coming anymore, so it will be just me and hubby. If the weather is nice, we may go to the beach or for a (slow!) walk in the forest :)

Day 4 over and now the beginning of Day 5. My brain was in overdrive last night and I could not sleep! And now this morning, I'm wide awake at 8 :( So I slept maybe 5 hours... Somehow I think I will need a nap during the day!

I'm about to get up, shower, prepare my water and wait for my husband to wake up. The weather is awful here today. I was planning on a walk by the beach or forest but if it stays like that, I don't think it'll happen.

I can't wait for Tuesday: my first WI!

Well here's to both of us having our last uncomfortable summer season this year, next year its shorts and vest tops for us in the heatwave. Or in your case, a bikini...i'm too old to go that far!!!!! :eek:

I don't think I could ever wear a bikini again. Even as a slender teenager I felt to exposed. But they are some absolutely gorgeous and very elegant one piece swimsuits out there :D

I am really looking to something very simple: the feel of summer air on my legs (and arms to an extent). I never show my legs, even in crop trousers. So even if I wear linen trousers, there are times when it's really hot and I sweat. When I'm slimmer, I will be able to wear shorts and feel the summer breeze :)

I don't think I could ever wear a bikini again. Even as a slender teenager I felt to exposed. But they are some absolutely gorgeous and very elegant one piece swimsuits out there :D

I am really looking to something very simple: the feel of summer air on my legs (and arms to an extent). I never show my legs, even in crop trousers. So even if I wear linen trousers, there are times when it's really hot and I sweat. When I'm slimmer, I will be able to wear shorts and feel the summer breeze :)

As usual, I totally relate to everything you say :)

I cover up so much in the summer, I make myself ill. Last year i strolled about with a warm denim jacket on, almost every day over my summer outfit, even in a heatwave. Often felt, I was going to pass out :rolleyes:

Good idea to add goals, gives you more focus!

Giggled at you being able to smell the yoghurt, i think our sense of smell does improve greatly when we are changing our food habits.

Good luck for weigh in, don't give up, you are doing this and its going to work!!!

Have a successful day :)

Last edited:
Ah Rainbow, sweltering under a jacket in the summer: how I can relate to that! I really hope this is the last summer I spend feeling so miserable. It is almost torture not being able to eat (although I am not nearly as hungry as I was at the start) so it better be :D

I'm on Day 6 now and I have my WI tomorrow. I am a little worried though. I have to confess that I had a peak at the scales this morning and really, the loss is very tiny compared to the first week's loss people on VLCD usually experience :( I followed the diet 100%, including the water drinking (and THAT can be hard too!), so I really hope I made a mistake or something. I'm not going back on them, in fact, I think I will ask my husband to take the batteries with him at work and leave them there.

Another day alone here, with the cat for company and my books. It is so hard when I'm on my own. My husband is my pillar, he was great yesterday. He got me a new DVD, he tried really hard to entertain me (a bit like a difficult toddler, but that's what I am :eek: )

I am waiting till noon before I take my first tetra and then I have to make an appointment with my GP who said he would monitor me if I so wish. Not that I have any problems, but he is very nice like that and in a way, it keeps me on my toes as I don't want to disappoint him :)

I don't do enough walking. I really need to get out today for a little walk, even if for 10 minutes. I tire very quickly because of my fat suit but it can be done. I love walking and hiking, it just takes me a little longer than slimmer walkers :)

I am starting a new job soon so hopefully I will be too busy to feel any self pity :eek: I have to wait another 3 months though. Hopefully by that time I will have achieved some of my goals!

But the sun is shining so I will open the windows and let fresh air cleanse the bad vibes :)

Ah Rainbow, sweltering under a jacket in the summer: how I can relate to that! I really hope this is the last summer I spend feeling so miserable. It is almost torture not being able to eat (although I am not nearly as hungry as I was at the start) so it better be :D

I'm on Day 6 now and I have my WI tomorrow. I am a little worried though. I have to confess that I had a peak at the scales this morning and really, the loss is very tiny compared to the first week's loss people on VLCD usually experience :( I followed the diet 100%, including the water drinking (and THAT can be hard too!), so I really hope I made a mistake or something. I'm not going back on them, in fact, I think I will ask my husband to take the batteries with him at work and leave them there.

Another day alone here, with the cat for company and my books. It is so hard when I'm on my own. My husband is my pillar, he was great yesterday. He got me a new DVD, he tried really hard to entertain me (a bit like a difficult toddler, but that's what I am :eek: )

I am waiting till noon before I take my first tetra and then I have to make an appointment with my GP who said he would monitor me if I so wish. Not that I have any problems, but he is very nice like that and in a way, it keeps me on my toes as I don't want to disappoint him :)

I don't do enough walking. I really need to get out today for a little walk, even if for 10 minutes. I tire very quickly because of my fat suit but it can be done. I love walking and hiking, it just takes me a little longer than slimmer walkers :)

I am starting a new job soon so hopefully I will be too busy to feel any self pity :eek: I have to wait another 3 months though. Hopefully by that time I will have achieved some of my goals!

But the sun is shining so I will open the windows and let fresh air cleanse the bad vibes :)

being previously 317 pounds (now 296) i can definatly relate to how difficult walking long distances and up hills can be! three days a week to college i have this horrid hill up a steep incline that i have to get up, very slowly, but now i get up it without needing an asthma pump lol, i still have bad joints but im walking better even only loosing 21 lb so im sure it wont be too long before you see a benefit. yesterday i was up and down my stairs like a yoyo and it took me back a little as i live in a town house wherei used to just sit in the downstairs kitchen all day as i felt it such a struggle to get up and down the stairs to the living room all the time, but yesterday i was up down up down at least 20 times doing various things and it wasnt until the evening that i had done that without anything hurting and not being out of breath, that was a good feeling i can tell you, that means im getting healthier, alot more important that loosing wieght in a way. i dont have any major health issues and with a bmi of 44 i really should have!! so keep your spirits up and think about how much better you will feel in yourself in just two months, you will look different and feel healthier and be able to walk further with your lovely husband, good luck, i will be keeping a close eye on your progress x

Back