Where to start with MIM??

British_Claire_84

Gold Member
Hey guys, i've read the MIM thread and they sounded so versatile that i've wanted to give them a try for ages n ages. I bought the golden linseed from holland n barratt to find that i don't have anything to grind them down! So finally found some ground flaxmeal/linseed today. They had a trial mini pack in holland n barratt for only 69p so i figured i'd get that to try out the recipe before buying a bigger bag of pre-ground stuff.

Anyways, after trawling through the MIM's thread there are a few variations to it and i haven't really got a clue where to start!

Which are the best ones to try for beginners please?? Thanks guys.. :p

Hi Claire

My basic recipe is -

30g ground seed
1/4 tsp baking powder
Lots of dried herbs (I really like a Tesco one called Italian Seasoning)

Mix together in plastic microwave bowl, add in an egg and mix well.

I then add about 1/4 cup water and stir well, then throw in the microwave and zap for 3 minutes, then turn out to cool.

It should have raised enough to slice in half, and then I toast mmmmmm.

Susie :)

I have got one cooling down as I type ready for a snack at work tomorrow. Mine is Flaxmeal, baking powder, a touch of splenda, a touch of cinnamon and a touch of cocoa powder, and an egg

We all seem to have our own adaptations - I started with the very first recipe in the mim thread, and much prefer sweet mims to savoury ones.

1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber) which is 30 grams in weight
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)

1 packet splenda packet (0.9 net carbs)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
1 teaspoon butter

(total carbs is 12.07, fiber is 8.8; net carbs is 3.27)

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

I now add 2 tsp splenda instead and some cream to make it easier to mix, it also seems to rise better when it is a little softer in the mix. Additions can be 10g ground almonds or 10g unsweetened coconut dessicated, increase cooking time a bit too if you add more weight

Thanks ladies - great advice! :) You're a good bunch. I did susie's method first tonight but replaced the herbs (i only had dried parsley in the cupboard!) with cinnamon. Was really quite tasty! I put some raspberries with, buttered the MiM n drizzled some cream on top - yummy!

Gutted i only bought the trial pack of flaxseed now!! Must go get a big bag tmoz for sure but didn't wanna spend that much before the test run.

So if about 3g carb each?? How many can i get away with per day.... Hmm.... Lols - joke :)

Pleased i've found something i can do for breakfast though as i soon get bored of omlettes etc.

So if about 3g carb each?? How many can i get away with per day.... Hmm.... Lols - joke :)

Pleased i've found something i can do for breakfast though as i soon get bored of omlettes etc.

That was my thought....until I saw someone talking about 'MiM's revenge' haha :D

The flax has an effect too :)

Might be worth checking on eBay for a cheap grinder? That's what I did, and it means it's nice and fresh - and keep your flax in the fridghe, I read somewhere it can go off otherwise.

Susie

Well i'm pleased it does have an effect in a way, that was the only problem i had on atkins before when i did it. I'm guessing one a day should be ok then? I bought a fairly large pouch of ground flaxmeal today from holland and barratt for £4.99. It's some organic stuff in a foil resealable pouch. But i'll go put it in the fridge now - thanks for that advice! :) Kinda messed up my second MiM today, there was egg stuck to the bottom of the tub after 3mins in the microwave. And it tasted a lil weird with just the herbs in. Not sure what i did wrong though as i mixed it for the same time as the cinnamon one yesterday :( Ate half, couldn't stomach the rest as was kind a splodgy mess. Tempted to try again shortly as that's all i've eaten so far today. May make a sweet one n put strawberries, raspberries n cream with it..

Give Bren's recipe a try - she loves the sweet ones :)

It does need a really good stir too, and maybe try adding a wee bit of water?

Ah thanks hun - Thought ya meant the other Bren. Didn't realise Quak was also Bren :)

I shall try that recipe now then as i'm kinda hungry lol. Wish me luck! I'll let ya know how i get on in a few mins or so.

Wahoo! Just made Bren's cinnamon MiM recipe and it was lush! I'm so chuffed! It rose wonderfully and was a soft spongy kind of texture - kind of like a cake. Had it with a mix of strawberries, raspberries, a dollop of butter, a sprinkling of splenda and dribble of cream. Yum.

omg drool that sounds lush!

Just made the cinnamon one too and it was delish! Added a teensy bit of creme fraiche (no cream) and then smeared some no carb peanut butter and more creme fraiche on top - boy did that hit the spot! :)

And very filling :)

Susie

The cinnamon ones are excellent but I just can't get to grips with the savoury ones at all - they just don't taste right to me at all - would love to make one that I could make a cheese toastie out of but whatever herbs I try it just tastes wrong :(

The herby one i first made today tasted plainly wrong too Bren! LOL. The cinnamon one was gorgeous though - v.tempted to make another right now!!!!! Wondering if it'll have an effect though?? LOL. Breakfast seems so far away... However, i'm up at 0500hrs so i guess it's not that far away.

Back