Who are you dieting for?

If I'm honest:

60% Me (nice clothes, easy fit plane seats etc.)
40% men (approval)

How utterly sad of me to admit this!!!

I am dieting for me as I am on blood pressure meds and want to be off them and I also have crohns disease and do not want to spend my time in and out of hospital

70% for me
and
30% for my poor wife who at 7 Stone was absolutely dwarfed by my 25+ stone.

I'm damned if I know why she put up with me.

65% me want to be healthy and "Normal"
35% re clothes,huge issue for me have 3 sizes,always have done hate the big clothes, waste a lot of money, time, head space, wardrobe space.
May sound strange but my goal for 2009, is to love every, one size clothes in my wardrobe use less wardrobe have a budget and spend only on things i love, things that suit me,in the right shape,size and colour.
Ava

May sound strange but my goal for 2009, is to love every, one size clothes in my wardrobe use less wardrobe have a budget and spend only on things i love, things that suit me,in the right shape,size and colour.
Ava

Not strange, that's a GREAT goal, go for it!!!

What a great thread.
I am dieting mainly for me, but part of that is because I want to feel confident enough to go out and date again. I was widowed a year ago and at 46 hope that one day I will find love again. In order to do that I know I need (for me) to feel comfortable with my size - the old saying "if you don't love yourself, no one else can" is very true in my situation :)

I interpret it slightly differently....

If you say you are dieting 70% for yourself and 30% for the approval of others. To me that is still 100% for yourself because it is still you that seeks the approval of others and by feeling you have achieved that it is you that benefits.

xxx

I am half and half dieting for myself.

I suffer quite badly from unipolar depression, since my boyfriend found out he has done everything in his power to help me get better, he takes such good care of me and always tells me I'm beautiful. On a day when I'm stuck in a 'dark cloud' these words can't always reach me but I still appreciate his efforts so much. This has taken our relationship to a completely different level, and I now really couldn't picture life without him.

I want to loose weight and be thin and pretty because a beautiful, interesting and inspiring fellow deserves an equal :)

Why do I want to lose weight is one of the first questions I asked myself before I started dieting again. I came up with loads of reasons (you can see the full list on my blog) but when I condense it down it is mainly for me and my ego.

I want to feel good and confident and I want that feeling that you get when people look at you and go wow.

I am also doing it partly for my partner. He does love me what ever size I am (and he has certainly proved it as he has stayed with me as I have put weight on). However I do know that there is a small part of him that wouldn't mind me being slimmer. Firstly what man dosen't like to admire his mrs' body? And we all know that another man turning around and saying 'lucky git' in reference to his partner is a nice little ego boost for him. But he also know's that a slimmer me is a more confident me in all areas, and I can't see him complaining about that now.

This is a fab thread. Not had time to read it properly yet but it speaks to me!
I am not particularly overweight and am fit and healthy. Objectively, I think I look good, I like my shape and I try to dress well and have nice hair/makeup etc. I also see many many women of all shapes and sizes who I think look fantastic. I would class myself as a feminist and have done a lot of reading about fat acceptance and am very passionate about the concept of health at every size. It breaks my heart to see the self-hatred that some of the posters on this site display.
but...
I feel that I am not a good enough person to be allowed to look anything less than "perfect". I think that I will not be good enough until I am Hollywood-slim and toned. I am a total idiot because I don't believe this about anyone else on the face of the earth.
Maybe it's because I was bullied at school for my weight and looks, I dunno, I always felt like that was the one thing holding me back. Even though I know it isn't, I still secretly feel like this.
I think that I'm still flirting with dieting because I feel like a fraud, why do I have a relationship, job, etc, I don't deserve them and unless I conform to a certain set of standards they will be taken away.
So I guess that I'm dieting for everybody, for the approval I craved as a kid and didn't get.

I can honestly say that for once in my life i am actually doing something for ME...i am loosing weight for ME...it is ME that wont do things because I feel people are looking at ME, it is ME that feels rubbish in my clothes, it is ME that wants to eventually find a loving partner, it is ME that wants to progress in MY career and it is ME that wants to live longer...all these things may affect others but (and at the risk of sounding very selfish) i am doing it primarily for ME ME MEEEE !!! x

since the age of 16 my mum has been telling me i need to loose weight and so i started to diet back then but i knew it wasnt for me...im the eldest of 3kids and it sounds so stupid but i never felt like my mum noticed me so i dieted to try and make her see me...

since then i've been through councelling and i've realised that she does notice me and that she was only trying to help me by encouraging me as she wanted me to be happy and to be able to buy trendy clothes..

now i am definately dieting for myself...i want to be the trendy girl who gets noticed and not bypassed...i'm fed up of having to just wear baggy clothes to cover up my lumps and bumps...and being 6years behind in the fashion trends...i want to be able to walk into a store and buy something knowing that it will fit me...plus i want to look good for my cousins wedding :D

so i am definately dieting for me :D :D

well i am going to do Lipotrim for many reasons and they are not all for myself:

1) health - i am getting out of breath so easily its scary. Even doing the hoovering is getting difficult. I am only 28 - this is not right to feel like this at this age.

2) cos my mum told me to...lol! Seriously it was her that put me on to the whole Lipotrim diet. Maybe I am seeking her approval too? Not sure - thats really a deep topic

3) I want to look good. In ALL clothes

Actually what makes me laugh is some poster at the beginning of this thread said if they wore a burka then they would be fine being fat. No way! I am muslim and don't cover my face but i do wear very covering gowns. I admit that when dressed like that i feel comfy but at the same time you have to confront your image in the mirror and you wear larger 'tents' than other women :8855:

4) approval from society - society treats larger people with contempt. Well society treats anyone that deviates from societie's ideals like crap....hey ho.

Would a normal sized person get yelled at in the street? No it doesn't happen. People will comment on my religion - thats fine, but PLEASE not my weight, my fragile self-esteem can't handle it! :cry:

So there you go, I am happy to say i am losing weight for myself and the approval of others. I am nothing if not an honest person!

Mostly for myself as I hate not being able to get clothes I feel nice in, When I am slimmer I feel more confident. A little bit of me wants it because of how others are, you know the looks people give or the cruel comments.
I have a lovely partner and he's happy with how I want to be whever it be bigger or smaller so not getting pressure there.

I lose weight better when it's for me I am doing it

why?
1: I feel very unhappy and inadequate about my current size. I'm the biggest I have ever been -_-
2. I want to feel that people think I am attractive. At the moment I don't think they do.
3. I don't want to spend the remainder of my youth being unhappy about my body.
4. One of my friends said (I asked for honesty) that I had a nice face, but I was too fat. I think that someone not mashing up the truth for me made me think. For ages people would just lie to spare my feelings.
5. I like asian fashion and its designed for girls considerably thinner than me. I would love to pull it off better.
6 Over all I want to feel proud of who I am and not like an out of control binge eater with a belly ache!

I am doing it for both. I do want to be slimmer, I want to be able to buy clothes from wherever I go to shop, I want my health to improve and my quality of life to also. But I also want to know that I am making my family and partner proud, I want to stop all the 'Kate you really need to lose some weight' comments I get from my parents at times, I'd rather hear them say I look nice, healthier etc.

I'm doing it because I feel that I am 22 years old and should be enjoying my body and size, not hiding it.
I'm also doing it because I want my OH to be really proud of me. He loves me as I am now, but I want him to be like "wow!" when he sees me in June.
I'm also doing it because my aunt (who is big and who tells me every single time I see her that I'm exactly the same as her), was recently diagnosed with diabetes. She then proceeded to tell me that that meant I would get it too. I want to prove her wrong in terms of being big, and in terms of getting diabetes.

I am dieting for me, and I know this is true because I started at the beginning of last year when there was no male influence involved. However I started a new job in October and there is a certain man there who is definitely helping to motivate me (even if he doesn't know it).

If I'm honest with myself I'm hoping he will notice me as I get slimmer!

I also want to wear really, really high heels. I'm nearly 6ft tall so if I wear them now, combined with me being so overweight, I feel like a gross giant compared to everyone else so I avoid them.

Back