• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Why can't I have chewing gum?

I was told that under no circumstances to have chewing gum when on SS. However, I am in ketosis, have a horrible taste in my mouth and can't walk around with a bottle of mouthwash/spray so the last 2 days I have been using airwaves. I am still in ketosis (I have used ketostix to check) and I am still losing nicely (8lbs in 4 days) and I don't feel hungry (in fact I feel quite well for day 4).

So just out of interest, why am I not supposed to have chewing gum??? :confused:

Jenny.x

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
Oh my god!! I had no idea and that is it now....no more chewing gum! I feel a little silly now for not knowing! Thanks for replies - back to mouthwash it is!!! Jenny.x

Oh my god!! I had no idea and that is it now....no more chewing gum! I feel a little silly now for not knowing! Thanks for replies - back to mouthwash it is!!! Jenny.x
No reason to feel silly - you asked, got replies and now know! That's what this site is so good for - educating everyone!

Thanks Beverley, I just feel silly for not finding out the reasons before ignoring them! Still better late than never!

Good point about the strips though....can we use them?

This contradicts what I was told my my councillor last week when discussing the plan.

I was warned about bad breath but sugar free chewing gum was ok to have.

I said I suffered from acid attacks normally and was informed that I would be ok to buy chalky rennies also.

So if you want to chew chewing gum then ensure you have rennies on standby????

Well I've been having Airwaves since starting. Not going over board but probably once a day or so. Haven't found any of these symptoms but I wouldn't ignore them either.

Hmm...I haven't had any symptoms yet but it's not something I want to risk. A bit puzzling though as to why some CDCs say you can have chewing gum and others don't! I guess "in moderation" would be better! I also only have a couple of airwaves a day as at least their flavour lasts but don't like the thought of it possibly causing ulcers/tummy pain etc. I teach adults so don't want them smelling ketosis breath so any other breath freshning ideas are welcome!! xx

lillypop

now got pictures in album
My CDC said I could have chewing gum as long as it didnt have citric acid in it and I've been having it since day 1. It hasnt affected my weight loss but I guess different CDC's say different things! I would say that unless you can use a mouth freshener, try extra mint or something

karenO

Step away from the chips!
Chewing gum makes me feel terribly hungry (even when i wasnt on CD) so i tend to give it a wide berth for that reason.