Why can't I have chewing gum?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by jenza20, 27 June 2008 Social URL.

1. jenza20

jenza20 Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    I was told that under no circumstances to have chewing gum when on SS. However, I am in ketosis, have a horrible taste in my mouth and can't walk around with a bottle of mouthwash/spray so the last 2 days I have been using airwaves. I am still in ketosis (I have used ketostix to check) and I am still losing nicely (8lbs in 4 days) and I don't feel hungry (in fact I feel quite well for day 4).

So just out of interest, why am I not supposed to have chewing gum??? :confused:

Jenny.x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. CW Consultant

CW Consultant Gold Member

The chewing action makes the stomach produce acid in preparation for food you can end up with a sore stomach, indigestion, bloating and many feel hungry.

4. flirty40greeneyes

flirty40greeneyes Busy busy busy!!

Start Weight:
    15st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    I actually tell my children not to chew chewing gum for that reason ... acid in the stomach with no food to digest is not a good idea long term!

5. Taz

Taz Spam Hunter

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(30.4%)
    Diet:
    HGB
    These acids, when wasted, can also cause stomach ulcers

6. jenza20

jenza20 Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Oh my god!! I had no idea and that is it now....no more chewing gum! I feel a little silly now for not knowing! Thanks for replies - back to mouthwash it is!!! Jenny.x

7. flirty40greeneyes

flirty40greeneyes Busy busy busy!!

Start Weight:
    15st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    No reason to feel silly - you asked, got replies and now know! That's what this site is so good for - educating everyone!

8. Taz

Taz Spam Hunter

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(30.4%)
    Diet:
    HGB
    Are you allowed breath freshening strips?

9. jenza20

jenza20 Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Thanks Beverley, I just feel silly for not finding out the reasons before ignoring them! Still better late than never!

Good point about the strips though....can we use them?

10. Deggers

Deggers Member

Diet:
    Cambridge
    This contradicts what I was told my my councillor last week when discussing the plan.

I was warned about bad breath but sugar free chewing gum was ok to have.

I said I suffered from acid attacks normally and was informed that I would be ok to buy chalky rennies also.

So if you want to chew chewing gum then ensure you have rennies on standby????

11. hotstuff

hotstuff Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Well I've been having Airwaves since starting. Not going over board but probably once a day or so. Haven't found any of these symptoms but I wouldn't ignore them either.

12. jenza20

jenza20 Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Hmm...I haven't had any symptoms yet but it's not something I want to risk. A bit puzzling though as to why some CDCs say you can have chewing gum and others don't! I guess "in moderation" would be better! I also only have a couple of airwaves a day as at least their flavour lasts but don't like the thought of it possibly causing ulcers/tummy pain etc. I teach adults so don't want them smelling ketosis breath so any other breath freshning ideas are welcome!! xx

13. lillypop

lillypop now got pictures in album

Start Weight:
    23st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st4lb
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    My CDC said I could have chewing gum as long as it didnt have citric acid in it and I've been having it since day 1. It hasnt affected my weight loss but I guess different CDC's say different things! I would say that unless you can use a mouth freshener, try extra mint or something

14. karenO

karenO Step away from the chips!

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Chewing gum makes me feel terribly hungry (even when i wasnt on CD) so i tend to give it a wide berth for that reason.

15. Taz

Taz Spam Hunter

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(30.4%)
    Diet:
    HGB
    It seems that some CDC's are giving advice from a weight loss point of view not from a long term health point of view.

16. misscheeky

misscheeky Gold Member

my cdc said i could have sugar free gum. I have it the whole time and it has had no effect on the diet. i only chew for a while then get rid :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.