Why is Easter an excuse to break the diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight

Gold Member
M quite shocked at the amount of posts all over minis today from people breaking their diets to eat Easter Eggs

I don't get it. No one on a VLCD would dream of munching a bar of chocolate normally yet stick it in an overpriced package and open it on the Easter weekend and some how it's 'ok'.

I can to a degree understand people coming off if there's a big family meal planned but to break the diet and come out of ketosis for a bar of chocolate you wouldn't eat last week and wouldn't have next week - why????

theres no need to get so frustrated about it.
Some people desserve a treat, its not about breaking the diet its about allowing your self to have a treat like a reward for doing good. if you deprived your self of everything nice you would end up not sticking to your diet because you would be so fed up in the end anyway!

Actually it IS about breaking the diet this diet is nothing like SW. You can't just have a treat like chocolate When you're on a VLCD!!!!

I just don't understand how people get so uptight and anxious about having coke zero or chewing gum one week yet happily munch chocolate this week

For the record I'm not frustrated. It's no skin off my nose if people want to screw up their diet for a chocolate egg. I'm curious as to why it's so acceptable all of a sudden cos it's Easter

And with all due respect having a treat on SW is absolutely nothing like having a treat on a VLCD. Have a treat on SW and it won't impact your losses. Have chocolate etc on a VLCD and it screws up your losses AND knocks you out of ketosis. It's completely different

Well cant talk on that part never done VLCD,

I understand what you mean but some people use it as a goal to have a little treat. some people go over board and eat to much just like iv had half a easter egg and one creme egg and feel so guilty and regret it and i have no excuse because i shouldnt of had it! but I dont think its going off track off a diet just simply a bad day or a little treat.

I agree starlight, don't get me wrong the temptations are greater as there's so much more around but why take yourself out of Ketosis for it?? It's tough getting into Ketosis so it would have to be a planned decision to come out for me.
SW have flexi days to cope with things like this but a vlcd doesn't.
My "treat" today was an unmeasured amount of cauli with my mac cheese pack lol how naughty am I, reality was 50g more. Hubbie and I are on holiday too and sticking to plan, Truffa bar later is enough to satisfy any Choc craving ;)
Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

minniex said:
Well cant talk on that part never done VLCD,

I understand what you mean but some people use it as a goal to have a little treat. some people go over board and eat to much just like iv had half a easter egg and one creme egg and feel so guilty and regret it and i have no excuse because i shouldnt of had it! but I dont think its going off track off a diet just simply a bad day or a little treat.

But you can incorporate it into your diet. On a VLCD you're having shakes and soups a total of 500 cals a day. You can't eat carbs as you need to be in ketosis so having a bar of chocolate isn't an option AT ALL

That's my whole point these diets are SO strict by comparison. You just can't reward yourself with food. Vlcds and SW are just worlds apart

I bought my egg in the week and have stashed it in the cupboard!!! Lol...

When I come off plan in a few weeks I'll have it then!!!

X

Deezer said:
I bought my egg in the week and have stashed it in the cupboard!!! Lol...

When I come off plan in a few weeks I'll have it then!!!

X

I tried getting my son an egg when we get here fri but shops are empty of them!! Finally got him a Thornton bunny yest.
Couldn't have one if I wanted :) xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I didn't want any easter eggs since being on a VLCD, but I still received one from my mum.

but to break the diet and come out of ketosis for a bar of chocolate you wouldn't eat last week and wouldn't have next week - why????

This ^^^ is the exact reason I haven't eaten it and I have asked someone to store it away for me to have later in the year (maybe it will go out of date? oh well even better lol). I refuse to get kicked out of ketosis for an easter egg. I have only just started S&S and it took me over a week to get into ketosis and would probably take me a week to get back in and an easter egg is just not worth it, well for me anyway.

Well I planned a complete break around Easter as you know as I've been on the diet solidly since my last break for Xmas so was due my week of increasing calories to a more normal level as it's been about 13 weeks. You're right though, there is no way that I'd have broken the diet for a chocolate egg. In fact, other than 10 Quality Street that I had today that came in at a whopping 443 calories and 63g carbs :eek: I haven't had any chocolate. It is completely mental how many calories, carbs and fat there is in chocolate and as I'm not someone who can have just one I will need to do without it in the future other than for a very special occasion. And you know what? Because I have my truffa bar daily I didn't even find it that fantastic. Truffa bars rock :)

i have been bought a slice of easter cake and an apple crumble for the week by my nan, an easter egg from a friend and a big bumber easter sweetie bag from my in laws. havent touched any of them. saving them for another day. ok i broke the diet for a big sunday roast BUT i didnt have tatos AND we had turkey so my cals today were 778 and carbs were 79. and i had a shake for brekkie and a bar for later. so dropped 2 packs to make up for it but had my vitamins so still got all nutrients. had loads on my plate and felt veryyyy naughty even though my consumption was fine for today. the only really bad thing i had was some mini eggs BUT i incorporated it into my daily allowance. and had coke zero while they had wine. dont feel deprived at all.
i think the trouble for some is that easter is a big family day and families feel that giving food and eating each others food is a way of looking after each other. but still easter is coming back next year lol

I had an extra Truffa bar 3 packs and my protein and veg. Also had some ham as I had my dinner late...
Didn't want to break ketosis as I hated how I felt going into it.
Next week I will be trying to just have 4 packs as my chew gum habit should be sorted!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I had an Atkins coconut bar while the others munched on Easter egg. About the same cals/carbs as a truffa but felt like a real treat! Just had to plan in advance I guess :)

I have scoffed a lot of chocolate, a huge sunday roast with ALL the trimmings and I had 3 desserts!!!

Easter is a big deal for OH's family and we have had a fantastic family day. Definitely worth breaking the diet for and coming out of ketosis (actually dont think I was in it as bit of a naughty week in general) and dont regret a single mouth full. I just know this week ahead I have to be 100%.

I think it depends what easter means to each individual, a lot of people break diet for christmas and for OH's family easter is a bit like a mini version of christmas day, big family get together with lots of food and gifts. My family on the other hand dont celebrate or acknowledge it as any different from any other day x

I think it's a bit harsh to assume everyone on a vlcd has broken the diet for chocolate. I broke the diet but I haven't had any chocolate. I kept low carb (under 60g) but allowed myself to eat freely within that. I haven't binged, gone mad, rewarded myself etc. I just wanted to enjoy a nice Easter with my kids and set them a good example (they're too young to understand the whole dieting thing).

We are all grown up here - even if we don't always act it! - and we have the right to make decisions for ourselves. Some, such as moomoo13, make decisions about food whilst on this diet that i wouldn't, but others would think what i did today was a bad decision.

Support and advice is well received, but this doesn't sound like either. It comes across as judgement. Usually if i cant contribute constructively, I leave well alone. Who am I to judge others? Maybe I'm wrong n this or it isn't how you intended it to come across, in which case I apologise.

I hope everyone had a good Easter regardless.

Just where exactly did I say EVERYONE on a VLCD had broken their diet??????? Eating low carb and keeping to the S&S is NOT anything remotely like the things I was referring to. I was talking about people posting about eating bags of malesers and Easter eggs. - just because it's Easter yet only a week or so ago were beating themselves up for havin a piece of ham

it was a simple question about something I genuinely don't understand. That IS allowed on the forum or so I thought but Pardon me for asking I didn't realise asking questions wasn't allowed

And for the record you're dead right how you read it wasn't how I put it across.

This really has been the straw that broke the camels back now for me as far as this forum is concerned

Last edited:
Starlight said:
M quite shocked at the amount of posts all over minis today from people breaking their diets to eat Easter Eggs

I don't get it. No one on a VLCD would dream of munching a bar of chocolate normally yet stick it in an overpriced package and open it on the Easter weekend and some how it's 'ok'.

I can to a degree understand people coming off if there's a big family meal planned but to break the diet and come out of ketosis for a bar of chocolate you wouldn't eat last week and wouldn't have next week - why????

I wouldnt eat an easter egg last sunday or next sundy because neither are Easter Sunday. If I were to eat an choccy egg, it would BE because its Easter Sunday, thousands of years old family celebration. Why do people on diets eat turkey and xmas pudding for Christmas? Left overs New Year :)? Big Birthday meals? Im sure there are people who use these occassions as an excuse but I also think its up to an individual how they choose to celebrate it, and there are alot who do this sensibly. Its up to them to deal with the guilt if they over-indulge or to enjoy as they mean too. I do my diet (CD SS) how I choose, not how someone tells me I should do it. Its worked for me and I have had good days, and Im sure i'll have days like today that I've had to make choices and not necessarily make the best ones but I will have to deal with that. If I need encouragement I like to know I can come here and get support, but I also wouldnt shout it out if I made a decision or planned to have some food that I shouldnt on CD. I would also like to think id give encouragement to others who need it and try to apply diplomacy when required. I wouldnt gloat on a thread that id had x amount if easter eggs today and a roast... because I dont think thats fair or supportive on those who made a decision to steer clear because of their dedication.
I certainly dont need anyones permission to do as I wish and do my diet as I want tho. It doesnt make me less dedicated either if I choose to eat a roast and choccy egg on a day where it is tradition...knowing that, personally, I can carry on my CD tomorrow as normal. CD isnt a prison sentence :) its a matter of personal choice. Im ready to support anyone who completely lost control today and deeply regret it aswell. Thats why I joined the forum... to help and to be helped. :)

Also... I have actually dreamed of eating chocolate, toast, coke....... literally! Its crazy what you dream about on this diet lol x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back