Why is Easter an excuse to break the diet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kissed my bf after he ate some chocolate egg... I hope this doesn't throw me out of ketosis. ;-)

I kissed my bf after he ate some chocolate egg... I hope this doesn't throw me out of ketosis. ;-)

I'd give up kidding the BF I think, just in case ;).

I think that one of the problems with introducing forbidden food into this diet at random is that so many people find it incredibly difficult to get back on track once they have done so. There are mountains of diaries in a very short time that were started by people who went on to have a break or had an off plan meal and then disappeared for good. I think if you plan for Easter to be an off plan day, and fully understand the consequences of doing so then that's probably fine but I think Starlight was meaning that she was shocked with the number of people who stuffed chocolate on the spur of the moment that will take them out of ketosis and could result in them being unable to get back on track as a result. It's not being judgmental, it's being concerned that people will ruin things for themselves and be unable to get back on track. I've been on this diet for several months, and Starlight has been on a VLCD for a while too and we've seen so many people struggle because they broke the diet and then couldn't return properly.

So if you did have a chocolate egg do remember this at WI as it's likely to affect your losses, and it's only really when we stick to the diet 100% that we get the sort of losses the diet promises. This diet is poles apart from diets like WW or SW and we really won't get the results we crave if we go off plan regularly. So if you did break the diet for a chocolate egg try to make it the only break you have until you plan a break after 12 weeks or whatever. If you constantly 'cheat' your losses may dry up to next to nothing which is frustrating and demotivating.

Last edited:
The original post did not read as offering concern or advice. But, I have no wish to cause offence, so apologies.

As for asking questions, you know better than anyone that's fine but that we have to be oh so careful about how things come across. I've now apologised twice for my post, which I truly didn't mean to upset anyone, but I wasnt the only one who misinterpreted your tone.

Ihave however, read a lot of your posts starlight, and have utmost respect for you, and absolutely no wish to offend.

Last edited:
I'm also not sure why my post was the straw that broke the camels back - it was not a personal attack, and I'd hate it to be taken as one.

In the eyes of some vlcds, lighter life for example, what I did was as bad as scoffing chocolate, I broke the diet, and made myself vulnerable to falling off the wagon and undoing all my good progress. I dont expect anyone to say, hey, well done! But i might think i can freely post my reasons on here and have support getting back on track. That's all I was trying to say.

If people do eat whatever, say choc because it's Easter, and don't get back on track, then maybe that's a lesson they need to learn, or their head is just not in the right place for a vlcd, either way, eating the chocolate, I guess, is one way of finding out...

Starlight's not judging anyone for screwing up, she was just saying that she doesn't understand why some people seem to be perfectly okay with undoing their ketosis and eating whatever they want just because it's 'Easter Sunday'.

I'm really confused to why certain people have taken this thread so far ?
Starlight was asking a question to why people are breaking their diets because of Easter!!
These nothing wrong with this question at all. Then certain people's post seem to be rather rude if u ask me, these just no need. What's happening to this forum these days??? ;) take a chill pill lol

For those of you who understood the reason behind my post - thank you

This really has been the last straw for me though to ask a question and then becaccused of being unsupportive critical and judgemental is it for me

For the time being I'm continuing this diet on my own and giving consideration as to whether I want to continue being a moderator let alone a member anymore

I wouldn't dream of it either starlight ' unless of course I was on a planned break! I'm 100% dedicated to staying in ketosis and losing this weight . I wouldn't have dreamed of eating any chocolate or carbs, nothing is worth having to face the dreaded 3-4 days of hell getting back into ketosis! I've a holiday in June and every day counts to being where I want to be. I just couldn't possibly think about taking a day off! Upping calories and staying in ketosis is one thing but eating chocolate eggs because it's Easter, no way.

I'd like to add I have had a planned break and it's awful starting again . I was a lucky one I had help and encouragement but some people just give up! I've been on here over 3 months and I can name lots and lots of people that have come off for this ocassion or that occasion and we never see them again. They say I'll be back I'll do this etc etc but sadly the majority arent. One cheat could cost you on this diet believes I've seen it!

The starlight I've seen on here and MFP is 100% supportive!

Last edited:
For those of you who understood the reason behind my post - thank you

This really has been the last straw for me though to ask a question and then becaccused of being unsupportive critical and judgemental is it for me

For the time being I'm continuing this diet on my own and giving consideration as to whether I want to continue being a moderator let alone a member anymore

In my case, trying to lose weight is so much more than about eating things allowed and not allowed. If it were as simple as that, there wouldn't be a need at all for a diet industry. I take my hat off to you that you can follow S & S 100%. Count yourself lucky hun that your weight problems aren't deep seated! :)
Whilst I totally understand 100% your question and in NOWAY at all found anything critical or judgemental about it in anyway what-so-ever, I really think your reaction after the initial post was quite ott :eek:

I agree with laurie 100% and know starlight was not having a go. Everyone Is different but me personally once my minds set on something there's no breaking it, I've missed 5 birthdays since starting including my own I've missed Easter which is a big deal to my family they go all out and even wen i did lipotrom I missed Christmas lol but that's the way I am :D I see it as I'm only missin it for one year plus food and chocolate is why I'm in this position unable to lose weight in the first place so I'm happy to stay well clear of it :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I am proud I didn't break my diet! My quote on my signature about is a moment of pleasure worth hours or days of guilt keeps me going. However, that is only my take on this.
i am lucky in the fact that I am not a big sweetie fan. For me breaking this choice of diet I have made would be wine. I have been with relatives all weekend who ate chocolate and drank wine, it was my choice to stick to plan. I did this because I want to keep with the losses. I feel good about it today and would hate the guilt I would have felt otherwise. That said, I think I would have found it sonpainful to get back into ketosis and for the sake of an egg I just didn't see the point.

I take my hat off to you that you can follow S & S 100%. Count yourself lucky hun that your weight problems aren't deep seated! :)

Oh don't you believe it. I can't speak for Starlight but most of us are here because our weight problems are absolutely deep seated and are out of control! The reason that a TFR diet works for so many in the way that diets like SW, WW etc don't is that it removes all choice and allows us time out to deal with the reasons why we eat what we do. That's how these diets first launched onto the market and they went alongside counselling etc. that diets like LL and CD still offer. The ability to get your head around your issues is a hugely important part of the diet and there is absolutely no point in following this sort of diet without addressing the issues in your head as if any of us go back to pre diet habits we will just regain the weight and then some, as so many people on every diet do over and over.

The clue to this type of diet is in the main Minimins heading 'total food replacement'. It's supposed to offer complete nutrition whilst taking a break from real food. The 4 pack S&S approach does just that and it's absolutely the best way to do this diet if you have issues with food. The 3 packs plus protein has a part to play and I have used it after being on just the packs initially to start to ease back into the real world of food, and to enjoy eating small portions of healthy food and to not over indulge as I've done countless times in the past.

I have to admit I am stunned at the number of people who start this diet and in 5 minutes either deliberately go off plan and eat something they shouldn't, or plan to break the diet every 5 minutes from the get go, and I'm not talking about the odd low cal / low carb meal or an extra special occasion. In 8 months I have taken 3 breaks (1 holiday, 1 Xmas / New Year, 1 Easter) and had 1 off plan meal outside of that (my office Xmas party). As someone who loves wine that's a really big deal for me as apart from those breaks no alcohol has touched my lips. All these breaks were planned for weeks beforehand. This sort of diet will never work for those people who consistently cheat as a little cheat becomes a big cheat and then it all goes t1ts up and the losses disappear which are the major incentive of this diet. So my advice is that if you aren't going to make the commitment that the diet needs then you're wasting your time and money.

i had a small egg and enjoyed it, back on track today no issue

it is a bit hypocritical to have a go at people enjoying easter then having a week off the diet yourself

starlight, maybe a bit of time away would suit, you seem to spoil for a fight all the time and jump on any one who says anything you dont agree with, i think sometimes u get away with a lot more than you should just because of being a moderator (which is thrown up almost every time someone disagrees), a moderator should be neutral surely in the main?

you went on someones weigh record thread and caused a big fall out, now this

i know i certainly got accused and hounded of being a troll by you just because my post sounded different to how i had written years earlier, but had several pms of other members laughing at how you wouldnt give it a rest on my thread and that was a while ago and yet still you upset people so perhaps a break would be wise

Last edited:
fattytothinny2007 said:

it is a bit hypocritical to have a go at people enjoying easter then having a week off the diet yourself

starlight, maybe a bit of time away would suit, you seem to spoil for a fight all the time and jump on any one who says anything you dont agree with, i think sometimes u get away with a lot more than you should just because of being a moderator (which is thrown up almost every time someone disagrees), a moderator should be neutral surely in the main?

i know i certainly got accused and hounded of being a troll by you just because my post sounded different to how i had written years earlier, but had several pms of other members laughing at how you wouldnt give it a rest on my thread and that was a while ago and yet still you upset people so perhaps a break would be wise

Maybe this message is best suited as a PM and done privately.

Maybe this message is best suited as a PM and done privately.

Yeah, especially since this is this person's first post in over 6 months.

I just looked at the so called 'argument' thread and it appears that Starlight was trying to explain to fattytothinny why they shouldn't follow the Asda Measure Up plan as a TFR diet. She was absolutely right of course. Anyway, assuming you did do that since you were so convinced that it was right how have you done on Measure Up as a TFP? You at goal yet fattytothinny?

Oh, and Starlight is planning her break around S&S's guidance that you should take a break from the diet every 12 weeks, just as I planned my break this week in the same way. Hardly hypocritical - it's the way that the diet is.

:whoopass:

I think this thread has run its course, and I am closing it before any more comments are taken out of context x

First of all I wasnt having a go, I was merely asking a question why people who get stressed by eating a morsel of food one week suddenly are happy to eat an easter egg at easter. I was having a go at noone, its something I geniunely dont understand. My week off is nothing to do with Easter, this is a holiday Ive had booked since August 2011 thats why Im having a week off.

I most certainly do not 'spoil for a fight' No I dont sugar coat things but thats not necessarily a bad thing. And Im certainly not going to sit back and watch someone give very bad advice. Oddly enough I wasnt the only one arguing with you that your advice was dangerous but that seems to have been conveniently overlooked

Believe me Moderators get treated exactly the same as other members, and Id love to see any post where Ive thrown that up when Ive been debating something. Im a member of this site first and a moderator 2nd.

Thanks very much for your input and most helpful post and I look forward to hearing from you again in what another 7 months when you next post

A big thank you too to squindles for your support in liking fattothinnys post.. That was really nice of you!

And a HUGE thank you to everyone whos sent me PMs here and messages on MFP, by wee BB nearly went into meltdown today with the volume of notifications THANK YOU :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back