Why is it soooo different 2nd time around?

Dear Diva

That was wonderful, I think you helped a lot of people here, I am struggling too, and my last month was a disaster, I lost about 5 stone, but I have another stone to lose to get my target weight. I will use (towards too) strategy as well,

I have been full of negative feelings the whole month, I started to think I am failing again, and reverting back to my old fat self, because I just cannot stop EATING!!!!!!

I feel a lot better now, after reading your post, Thank you so much.

So agree with this

Every time I tried to SS I would try to do it a different way - just to get back to that newness again.

How I wish I could get back that feeling of when I started Lighterlife and had bloody stuck to it.

How I envy all the first timers and their enthusiasm and determination. You guys are so lucky - dont ever let it go once you have it.

Am loving my new approach though - Every week I set targets for myself that I want to achieve and they are no longer to lose x amount by x, they are more geared towards - i want to walk this amount of steps or i want to have this amount of packs.

I also find it much easier to set low targets cause then i tend to always surpass them, and its easier to see that you are actually getting somewhere.

Anyway enough rambling on !!!

Laters

Think I found what worked initially - i remember writing this post - I was in a really good place.

Another lightbulb moment !!!

Thanks Diva

Gonna try the 'towards' strategy!:D

thanks for that...x

Mini - your penguins have us stitches ...

I've just shown your penguin clip to the kids and we've all had a laugh. The more we watched the funnier it was.

There is such alot of wisdom on this site. It seems a shame that we continually beat ourselves up about our 'failings' when the fact is we are mostly succeeding against the odds.

We also get into the mindset that if we fail at dieting we are a failure at everything else too.

One of the members (I forget who) mentioned an article she'd read on National Centre For Eating Disorders - effective treatment for all forms of eating disorders about the Psychology of Dieting. I also recommend the one about Compulsive Overeating. They will illuminate for you the whole vicious circle that dieting produces. We think we are in control ... but we are not aware of the powerful forces that dieting produces in us that can set us up to fail.

Just in case some of you were wondering "why is it sooooo hard.....???".......

I wrote this over a year ago and would like to update it as follows:

Yes, the first time you do SS is very different from any subsequent times and yes, using the wrong strategy plays a major part in this. HOWEVER..... as Giftedandblk said in one of his posts...we can all lose weight and many of us have done so many, many, many times before. Therefore, surely, when doing it again we have to ask ourselves "is this really about losing weight? or is this more about getting slim and staying slim?"

Now when Giftedandblk first posed that question I was certainly cheering from the sidelines because that is exactly what makes the difference second time around. You;ve tried it the "losing weight" way and it didn't work because if it did you wouldn't be doing it again...therefore, your strategy now has to be about getting slim and staying slim...that is an entirely different concept and one which is not about deprivation, it's not about hard work nor is it uncomfortable.

Getting slim is about being exhilerated and excited about finally being able to be who you truly want to be.

Staying slim is equally exhilerating as it allows you to continue living the life you want in the way that you want it...it is not "size 12 for a week", it is about feeling like that for life. You only have to ask our own Icemoose, Summerskye, Karion, etc who are all living the "staying slim" lifestyle now and ask them what made this time so different for them...was it really their desire to lose weight that drove them on to success or was it there desire to permanently live a healthier life?

When we ask ourselves different questions we get different answers which, in turn, produce different results!!! What questions are you gonna ask yourself to make this not only the last time but the best time???

I'm also walking this journey again and I'm already living a healthier and more exciting life and I'm not even at goal yet!!! :D If this is how I feel now ... a few stone down the road and the sky's the limit :D

Glad to hear it DQ, hun! :hug:

What a great thread - I love the "bring your head in" idea - this is all so helpful. Well done and thanks

Di

Hi everyone, this thread is awesome & inspiring. I started my 2nd Cambridge SS re-start last week (lost 6.5 in 1st week) I'm embarassed to admit that since December 2007 when I was at target till beginning May 2008 I have re-gained nearly 4 stone.

Slimness was wonderful but shortlived. Health was brilliant. Now its all bittersweet

BUT

Here we go again, except a different mindset is in order and I've taken in lots of positive vibes from this thread.

Best Wishes to you all

xxx

oh wow great thread, so many times Ive asked myself these same questions, OK Im' lucky I've only put on a stone, and so far so good, I hope to be able next time I add to this thread thatI will be at goal again and maintaining.

sue xx

Back