Why is this synned!?!

jennyc_uk

Silver Member
I found a recipe for scan bran bhajis - can someone explain to me where 2.5syns come from without the fennel seeds as it seems to be spices potato and onion which are all free and also why are fennel seeds synned!?! I wanted to make them for our taster session with some month yoghurt dip so correct synnage would be welcomed lol

: 6½ syns for all the bhajis on Green or Extra Easy (or just 2½ Syns without the fennel seeds)
You will need:
1 large potato
1 large onion
2 cloves Garlic
5 Scan Bran (Healthy extra 'B')
3 tblspn curry powder
1/3 cup hot water
1 egg
1 tspn turmeric
Seasoning
1 tblspn fennel seeds (optional)

Method:
Crumble the Scan Bran until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the water and egg and soak for 10 minutes. Peel and grate the potatoes. Peel and chop the onions and garlic. Mix with the Scan Bran. Add the curry powder, turmeric & seasoning. Shape into bhajis.

It looks like the scan bran are not used as a healthy extra, so are therefore synned as their old syn value of 0.5 syns each. However scan bran are now 1 syn each. So it would actually be 5 syns not 2.5 now, if not using fennel seeds.

So just to clarify if using the scan bran as a HE and missing out the fennel seeds they would be free? The way its written implies that the scan bran is being used as a HE so I couldn't understand where the syns came from.

I agree it's very badly written. The potato is definitely free on Green/EE, the only syns should be coming from the ScanBran which needs to be EITHER HEXed OR synned, not both.

Also as far as I am aware fennel seeds count as a spice so are free - but even if they didn't I can't believe they're worth 4 syns for 1 tbsp which is implied by saying "6½ syns or 2½ without fennel seeds". I use this much a couple of times every week and dont syn it. According to this data they're 20 cals a tbsp so 1 syn max - but IMO they count as a spice so are not synnable anyway.

They don't come up in a search on syns online, unlike the other comparable suspects (sesame seeds, poppy seeds, linseeds, hemp) which DO come up and with syns.

I cooked a recipe from a SW cookbook recently that used fennel seeds, and no mention of having to syn them :)

i had the very same recipe from one of my consultants & queried it with them and no one could explain why it says fennel seeds are synned so i think the recipe was wrongly written. i didnt make them in the end but for our taster this week i did make the ones out of the curry recipe book and they went down a storm

Back