Why r girls fat?

rachluvsbhg

what's going on!

Why do u think that so many of us girls struggle with weight issues? We all had different life experiences, different genes, upbringing, attitudes, beliefs, age, height etc so how do we l have the same problem? Do u think we're over indulgent? Victims of modern life? Weak? Uninterested in exercise? Too busy? WHAT?

Answers on a postcard to rachluvsbhg.........

I was brought up as a member of the Clean Plate Club. Moving in with my husband saw no "proper" cooking happening but more convenience food and much much much bigger portions being consumed!

That and lack of exercise!!

The weight has been going off and on for years and now it's time to be gone forever!!

I don't know the answer but I used to get really annoyed when my ex use to say I need to lose weight... And 2 weeks later but like I lost a stone and I'm back to a good weigh now. And I would lose 2lb in that time while eating half what he did! :(

I just think we care how we look more than men! So you find more women dieters - the men are still fat they just care less ;)

I blame chocolate! My husband hasn't got a sweet tooth, eats healthy and he plays football - I on the otherhand!!!!! Everyone is different, I know even in the school play grounds you see the boys running around like mad and playing football / rubgy while the girls tend to stand and chat so maybe its how we use up are calories via exercise.

To be completely and utterly honest.... I'm lazy.

Times have changed though :)

i'm like clareycakes,,i'm totally lazy,,oh and i hate hate hate sweating:),,years of thinking i'll treat myself to something nice which was always food,,thought i deserved a treat but really i was causing more harm than good.Also i used to stay with my grandparents very weekend school hols and they thought it was fun to call everyone for dinner and tell me i already had mine and convince me i did even when i didnt,,they'd say they were joking after a few mins:)was funny at the time but looking back it caused so much damage:(

i'm like clareycakes,,i'm totally lazy,,oh and i hate hate hate sweating:),,years of thinking i'll treat myself to something nice which was always food,,thought i deserved a treat but really i was causing more harm than good.Also i used to stay with my grandparents very weekend school hols and they thought it was fun to call everyone for dinner and tell me i already had mine and convince me i did even when i didnt,,they'd say they were joking after a few mins:)was funny at the time but looking back it caused so much damage:(

:grouphugg: just wanted to give you a hug after reading that - im sure they never ment anything by it Yummy but like you say people don't realise what damage they are causing for later in life - that's why im soooo care with my kids when it comes to treats and food, treats in our house are things like magazines etc instead of rewarding them with sugary crap, saying that they do get that sometimes as I think if you ban it altogether that can have a negative effect - all in moderation - I hate it when I see the mum's at school collecting the kids and giving them big bars of choc etc!

aw thanks,,i overheard a conversation last week waiting in line to collect my 4yr old,,it went like this,'do you know a mars bar has same amount of calories as a sliced pan,,oh god i didnt know that,,what am i going to buy him now on the way home from school!!!these kids are 4/5 .i never buy any treats on way home from school but would never dream of giving a child a full sized mars bar!!

Mars bars have the same amount of calories as what? Sorry if I'm being dim! but I don't understand what a sliced pan is?

yes definitely parents give in to kids a bit too much and they are also most of the times ignorant about what is bad and what is good for them. Most of the time it's not the parents' complete fault but it's the society that makes us make these mistakes. For example, I have discovered that 30g of all bran's got more sugar than 30g of my beloved Ready Break Chocolate! now would you believe it without looking at the labels?

I'm quite happy that I'm having a great food education with weight watchers now, so that when I'll have kids (I hope soon!) I'll be able to give them clear directions on what is right for them to eat. A couple of celebration-size treats here and there are all right but Goodness me, a full mars bar every day when leaving school is just crazy! ok kids need calories, but they must be the RIGHT calories... stuff that can keep them full and fuel their growth!

sorry I'm raving now... :)

oh to the thread starter, women put on weight because they're genetically predisposed to do so as it protects the baby in a pregnancy. of course I'm talking about a HEALTHY amount of fat. problem is... our body doesn't know when to stop storing fat and because we have been taught to use food as a way to cheer us up or cherish ourself, food is a "prize" and something to enjoy rather than just what it should be, e.g. fuel for our body... then we overindulge and because of this predisposition all we overeat becomes fat.

However, in a way we're lucky because the fat normally stores itself on our buttocks, thighs and boobs rather than in the abdomen like it happens to men... which is much worse because it's visceral fat which gives much more problems health wise!

Mars bars have the same amount of calories as what? Sorry if I'm being dim! but I don't understand what a sliced pan is?

a sliced pan is a loaf of bread, we call it that as well being irish :D

Reason I am fat, is down to a few factors if I'm honest, my father was quite cruel (thinking he was doing good) and would call me "fat" if I put up a few pounds as a GROWING teenager :mad: that in turn made me comfort eat (the irony) and we also grew up in a clean plate household, as a teenager I wasn't fat (looking back on old photo's) and even after having two children was still a size ten then went on the contraceptive injection (depa prova) and gained weight, that and a lack of exercise the lbs piled on and I guess I just got 'used' to being fat and hubby never seemed to mind, in fact he would buy me chocolate and crisps every night while we were watching t.v... then there was the convinence food, eating out take aways "sigh" the list could go on.

But the main reason I think was comfort eating and generally getting too lazy

I always bring my son snacks for our walk home from school, my mum did it and we loved it! It was always exciting thinking what she'd bring us!

But then... she'd let us continue to snack all afternoon and then we'd have rubbish for tea! And we'd also have rubbish at school, hotdogs, chips and beans with a pudding and custard and a trip to the tuck shop!

Times have changed in schools now, they have all healthy meals and fruit now so I like to give him a little treat on the way home but I don't let him continue at home, he usually just has a piece of fruit and then his tea.

Back