"Will my crash diet kill me?"

wow! cd came across really too harsh regarding the exercise stuff. i've always been used to exercising and have always kept it up even on ss. i've trained partially for a half marathon whilst still on ss. got to around 6 miles and that was my cut off point for ss, i'd stopped loosing weight at that point. i moved to 810 and lost 8lbs my first week.

one interesting point of view that was portrayed is that your body on cd does use the carbs first in the shakes then when doing exercise it goes onto the fat! you do need to consider your electrolytes which you body needs to keep in a fine balance for ultimate health. when you exercise you do sweat out loads, some of which is salt which is part of your electrolytes. i found last time that my iron levels dropped somewhat so i know that for me i need to keep an eye on these things when i personally exercise. i am so aware of my body as is many people who take exercise seriously that i know when something isn't quite right and get it sorted asap.

i thought that nicola came across as a normal person doing well on cd. the tv prog made it seem like she was doing loads of exercise when in fact nicola has stated 1 training session. by the last recorded cd weigh in session after xmas you could see how much improvement there was in her skin and how she glowed from the nutrients in the packets.

You're welcome, I researched VLCDs in massive detail before starting on CD partly to find out exactly how things worked and partly to set peoples minds at rest. There'll always be people who disagree with VLCDs and I have two answers for them 1/ bariatric surgeons put their duper morbidly obese patients on CD style VLCDs prior to their gastric by-pass / band surgery...
2/ surely losing weight quickly has got to be better for the body than staying fat!

The last one shuts people up pretty fast!

:D :D

Hi everyone - sorry for not replying sooner but had football tonight so went straight there and then to the obligatory pub visit :)

Thanks so much for all your kind words - I have been really stressing about how I would be portrayed and with everything that went on with cambridge, what would actually be shown. In reality a huge chunk was missed out but I am ok with that as the last thing I wanted was for CD to come across badly - it helped me and know it helps a lot of people!

In terms of the whole exercise thing - let me clarify where I was at. I started exercising 2 years ago when I got a personal trainer and cut out junk - I lost 7 stone this way (I was initially 23 stone). It was at this point I joined a football team and started to play. I then got complacent and weight slowly went back on (about 1 stone) and then I broke my ankle in a match and the weight piled on whilst I was in plaster. This saw me go up to 19 stone and the reason I chose cambridge was to get the weight off asap whilst I couldn't really exercise (in terms of jogging and playing football). Before my weekly exercise regime was 3 personal training sessions, 2 bootcamps, 1 hilly bike ride, 2hr football training and a 90min game - so yes, fitness is something I have really worked on. So for me to only be doing 1 session a week is like a holiday camp and seriously believed I was absolutely fine and never felt faint or ill after any sessions. It was actually week 6 when I was told I couldn't exercise on SS+ and so you can imagine I felt it was all very unfair. I completely understand cambridge had to cover themselves as it was going on national tv, but the way I was dealt with was hideous. I kept a silence on camera and on my blog and felt like I had the rug whipped out from under my feet. I had to choose between my fitness for football and the diet and I chose my fitness. I wish I didn't have to chose as I would have loved to do both but cambridge made me.

Hope that has answered some of the questions but if you want to ask anything else then please feel free

Thanks Nicola x

Nicola how come you needed to ask CD head office about exercise? How come they got involved? Was there a reason why you needed to ask head office and not ur CDC?
Surely your CDC was able to advise on exercise. Can't believe they said not to exercise... It's weird isn't it!
Did your CDC tell you that carrying on with current exercise is ok on SS but don't add anything new in first 2 weeks?
Well done, I really enjoyed the show. I thought you came across as a sensible dieter and not someone interested in a fad diet. Xx

Mr T was working until 8ish so I recorded the programme whilst we had tea(soup for me), I was going to watch it tonight before he gets back from London, but think I'll give it a miss, just sounds like it will annoy me.
Sounds like Cambridge should try and up their positive publicity on the tv.
We know this diet rocks, knowledge is power! The power to fatbust x

it will be interesting to see how LL comes out next week as that is 99.9% the same as cd!

Hi - I didn't get in touch with head office they got in touch with me. Basically the bit where I spoke with my personal trainer was due to be filmed and on their forum I put a post asking other dieters how they dealt with negativity etc so I could be armed when he came at me. From this post, head office got in touch (they ok'd the program with the production company initially so knew about it).

As far as I was aware I was doing nothing wrong so the whole thing from them came as a surprise. I knew you shouldn't start an exercise regime initially whilst on ss+ and for someone who didn't exercise before, my pt session is definitely not advisable but my personal trainer knew I was on the diet and had changed things accordingly anyway.

Hope that answers your question?

Thanks nic x

Just to chip n and say I thought you came over brilliantly Nicky, and that CD came out of it well. I think Head Office had to get involved if there was any risk at all with the exercise thing. If they hadn't, it would have given the programme ammunition to dig up that stuff and say that yes, CD could be dangerous. So I am guessing the panicked a bit, but think they had no choice. Just sorry they didn't make this clear to you at the outset, as my CDC did to me. My booklets say 'gentle exercise' is fine and I've taken that to mean walks, bike rides etc but have left gym stuff and more intense training for the higher plans.

I think you looked great and the loss really showed after 6 weeks, it's sad you decided not to go on but I know your decision was right for you and that you lost lots of weight before through training, so hopefully the weight will continue to drop away without CD. I think that you did a great thing for all of us doing CD and those thinking about it, so wanted to say a big thank you.

xxx

Will my crash diet kill me? :: Cosmopolitan

It amazes me that most of the negative comments are about Cambridge and not the bloody Maple Syrup diet. Having a nutritionally balanced meal replacement is obviously much worse than having nothing but sugar and pepper for 2 weeks.

I thought you came across really well Nic!

I too found myself screaming at the tv! I'd like to see what they say about lighter life next week too!

and that condesending doctor made me want to scream.

We know the truth about CD - its nutritionally complete, it works to lose weight fast and its monitored by health professionals and CD consultants - no where near the same thing as a cabbage soup or maple syrup diet!

Its all ok recommending healthy eating and exercise - but do they think we would be restricting ourselves to under 500cals a day if that had worked?? The ones doing CD obviously want a solution to get the weight off NOW and not in 5 years time - I do anyway - and unfortunately WW and SW doesnt work for me. It may work for maintenance-but I want to get this bulk off NOW and then I'll look at a healthy eating and exercise plan for maintenance - never to get back in this position again!

xxxx

I started cd last week and got to day five and gave up! After watching last night and changing CDC I will be rejoining nct week and trying again, thought last nights tv programme was very interesting Can't wait for next weeks programme, well done to everyone who can stick and succeed to cd your better women than me! Hopefully this time with a better CDC I will get there! Xx

I found it weird the show could call a diet you follow for 12 weeks (obviously & more after a higher plan week not that they went into it that much!) a 'crash diet' very low calorie yes but not a crash!

Well done Nicola! You did soo well :)
I thought the program was quite tongue in cheek and not remotely scientific. Perhaps a more crediable presenter / doctor would have been better.
I agree, silly to compare those 3 diets. At the very minimum they should have just done the diets without excercise to see the true affect. The following week they should do a comparison WITH exercise and the impact it has on the body.
I could go on, but won't. Only to say... I bet the other diets don't have a great support network like minimins...!! :)
Night all
S
xoxo

I have just watched it , Nicola I think you were fab :) There were several moments when you just reminded me of me :)

I actually thought CD he amount came across quite positive and I think the thing with head office making Nicola increase to 1200 with the amount of excersise she was doing showed them to actually care about the people doing the plan rather than money grabbing and I agree with what they did to be honest

There were several moments when I was shouting at the TV and I thought the 'Dr' was very negative about obesity in general never mind diets , but I though all in all it showed CD to be a safe way to do a 'crash diet'

Its currently on Channel 4 now if anyone has missed it

Back