"Will my crash diet kill me?"

cornishkez said:
I think it was ridiculous that they compared CD to the other diets, CD'ers follow a careful, clinical plan. We understand ketosis and glycogen stores and dehydration levels etc etc. I am now going to have to re-explain myself to so many people. What about the fact that we use ketostix and need to inform our doctors and all the other 'safe, responsible' things you have to do on CD.

Aside from that, well done! I don't think they portrayed YOU badly, just showed the ups and downs anybody goes through when dieting. What weight plan are you doing now? Are you just doing kcals and exercise?

Well said Kez, I've continued my rant on this thread too lol x

Oh I am so glad other people have said they are exercising! I started c25k this week and after watching that was getting paranoid my heart was going to pack up!

I thought they all came across very well considering they were comparing three very different and difficult to do diets.

I think its really bad that Head Office or whoever scared her away from the diet. They advise exercising on CD and do not say not on SS only not to start new exercise. I did body for life 6 days a week on SS and no one mentioned heart failure or warned me off it.

I did my training and exam to qualify as a fitness instructor on SS!!!!
Badly researched and badly portrayed piece of TV!!!

I think this could be very damaging for people and I, for one, am not looking forward to having to justify my decisions!!

xxx

In fairness they probably had to be ubber careful what they were seen to be saying and recommending. The fact they couldn't come up with an answer straight away and took days to give nicola an answer, probably meant they had lots of PR meetings to discuss what to say.

I've always been under the impression you shouldn't do any strenuous exercise when starting or following SS. I guess it's dependant on the individual, if you were already doing a certain amount of exercise then your body will be used to it, but if you start CD SS and then start a massive exercise regime, it's going to be hard work on your body.

lou1978 said:
I thought they all came across very well considering they were comparing three very different and difficult to do diets.

I think its really bad that Head Office or whoever scared her away from the diet. They advise exercising on CD and do not say not on SS only not to start new exercise. I did body for life 6 days a week on SS and no one mentioned heart failure or warned me off it.

My CDCs (I've had 2) both said not to suddenly start exercising on SS but because I already was exercising a lot they both said it would be fine to continue, no mention of heart failure.

I even had a personal trainer at one point and he just said to do more resistance training than cardio so I build muscle and don't lose it along with the fat. He has a masters in sports nutrition so I trust him.

Nicola, I thought you were wonderful, and I think the programme showed you as a lovely person, you hit the nail on the head talking about the pros and cons, you have a goal and I hope you will be back playing football soon.

I actually thought the doctor was a terrible presenter she was trying so hard and therefore wasn't natural.

You looked so lovely at the end, and you could see what losing weight meant to you, you were glowing !!!!!

It was very brave of you to post and tell us it was you, but thank you, it shows us CDers as normal people who have days where we feel teary - but choose not to empty the fridge for emotional support.

Just sending you a HUG and to say BE PROUD of yourself and you didn't show CD in a bad light at all IMO.

With regards to the maple syrup lady, she looked lovely at the end, you could also see her confidence.

xxxx

I'm amazed how the cabbage soup lady did, though I don't think she lost any weight on her boobs do you?! Wow, they were HUGE! I wish I looked like that in a corset, dinky little waist!

I'm now having a fit about ketone acidosis!? I've never even heard of it...is that why we have to drink so much water, to flush them out!?

Oh, by the way - well done nic, you were fab x

I'm now having a fit about ketone acidosis!? I've never even heard of it...is that why we have to drink so much water, to flush them out!?

hi destination,
yes, we do need to dilute the keytones. this is why if u use ketostix u should aim for the pale pinks. if u r in the middle or darker pinks u need to drink more as u want the ketones there but not strong.
nothing to panic about tho hun. just keep those water levels up.
if it worries u i would definately recommend the ketostix to put ur mind at rest.

Ok, great - thanks for that! Where can I get them from? Do I do them every morning? X

some cdc's sell ketostix, but i always got mine from my local chemist.
they are about £5 for about 100.
i used to test every day at first, to check my water levels were sufficient but after a few weeks i checked maybe every 3-4 days just to keep an eye on things.

Destination 119! said:

Don't panic about ketone acidosis (ketoacidosis), it's a condition affecting diabetics. If a diabetic person gets dehydrated the body uses it's fat, muscle etc for energy producing ketones (similar to what happens in ketosis) this results in a raise in blood sugar, the difference is that diabetics do not have insulin available to carry the sugar to cells for use later, so it get ls takes to the kidneys, increasing urine output and further dehydration. It is not something that happens as a result of a ketogenic diet such as CD or LL unless you are diabetic. Hope that helps put your mind at rest.

I'd like to second that, I think you portrayed yourself really well Nicola.

I watched this, as I don't know much about VLCDs...I did consider one but was advised by my doctor not to do it (I have Crohns Disease), and I cannot see how they could compare that ridiculous maple syrup thing to Cambridge. Personally, I'm still not convinced by VLCDs from a health perspective but I do appreciate from reading your threads that they're the right thing for many people and that they do work!

I think all of you VLCDers should be immensely proud that you're able to put up with such a restrictive diet, it really is admirable (and I don't want that to sound patronising, I genuinely mean it!!)

Kirst x

Snap surf, that's why diabetes can't do vlcd's usually.

I researched it lots because I work in a hospital people with a little bit of knowledge but not really enough to know what they were talking about, got into a bit of a panic about ketoacidosis and were convinced I was going to kill myself on CD, so I armed myself with the facts.

Well done, I had exactly the same from a woman at work as her daughter has diabetes and the first mention if ketostix and ketosis and she was on a right rant at me!

Thanks so much for that surfhunny, I'll just carry on with the water levels etc then. So relieved, prgorammes shouldn't throw words in like that without proper explanation....not impressed with that bit of the programme at all...
thanks again :)

Destination 119! said:
Thanks so much for that surfhunny, I'll just carry on with the water levels etc then. So relieved, prgorammes shouldn't throw words in like that without proper explanation....not impressed with that bit of the programme at all...
thanks again :)

You're welcome, I researched VLCDs in massive detail before starting on CD partly to find out exactly how things worked and partly to set peoples minds at rest. There'll always be people who disagree with VLCDs and I have two answers for them 1/ bariatric surgeons put their duper morbidly obese patients on CD style VLCDs prior to their gastric by-pass / band surgery...
2/ surely losing weight quickly has got to be better for the body than staying fat!

The last one shuts people up pretty fast!

Back