Wondering why SW is not working for you?

Maggie_Sak

Silver Member
Hi guys, just want to share with you a few things. Today I had a bit of a revelation with how I have been handling Slimming World. A few points I want to put across and there will probably be a few people who will relate to this and hopefully find it helpful enough to lose weight quicker.

1. I always have 2 slices of hovis wholemeal as my HEb when i'm having a fry-up, but today i decided to weigh the bread and it came up as 46g :eek:. Before the new book, the allowance was 57g so I realised that I was not having the correct amount of my HEb and was off by 11g. Obviously in 2012 that has gone up to 60g so that's 14g less than what I should be having. This made me look at other ways I have not been doing this the right like having my ready brek without the ryvita duh!:rolleyes:

2. When I first started SW in may, I was measuring everything, my milk, mayo, ketchup, butter, cheese. But the few weeks before Christmas I kinda became lazy and would estimate my measurements. A squirt of ketchup here, dollop of mayo there, a tiny bit of butter for my Jacket potato, little things like that. Not measuring means extra syns.

3. EE is the bane of my existence with SW right now. That 1/3 rule is very important and even though I always have my veggies and fruits, it's never quite enough. Also having 1/3 means eating less of free foods rather than having the same portions as before and adding 1/3 superfree. The whole point is to eat less of free and more of superfree. I have learned that the hard way.

4. Green days are fabulous as you can have all those lovely carbs without measuring anything but...I got carried away with my HEb, not doing it the right way. For example, when I prepared bolognese sauce for my family on green days, I would measure out 71g or 142g of the prepared sauce to have with my spaghetti. Wrong wrong wrong :rolleyes:! What I didn't realise is that I should have been taking into account the onions and tomatoes in the sauce so 71g is cooked mince and not cooked bolognese! :eek: and that means I was having far less than my allowance, so embarrassed even thinking about it :eek: same with a lot of other things. The only day I have gotten right is red, but unfortunately I have only done red about 3 times :(.

5. Syns :eek: 10-15. If I'm honest I have been having way more than that on any given day. When you have a twirl which is 11.5, a tsp of sugar with porridge, 2tsp of sugar with tea, that leaves me with nothing else to play with the rest of the day. And if my sister does the cooking on that day, I end up having way more syns than I should.

6. I'm from Zambia so most weekends means traditional Zambian food and that means ground maize meal, ground peanuts with leafy veggies, oxtail which is extremely fatty, etc. Generally Sundays I flexi-syn for that reason but then I might find myself eating the same middle of the week :mad:.

Sorry if this is too long but just a few things I needed to get off my chest. I am doing SW at home and I am happy with that but tomorrow I am taking advantage of the Daily Mirror offer and taking myself to a meeting. I'm getting the new books for 2012 and doing this the right way and hopefully lose a good amount of weight before summer. I have lost 2st so far, it's been slow but this is my way of life, not a diet. I don't want to deprive myself of anything but at the same time I have to be reasonable with the way I eat.

People saying SW is not working for you, really sit down and be truthful to yourself. There might be a lot of factors that could be preventing you from losing weight. SW really does work and it's really easy, just read the rules. And I know that there are people that do lots of tweaking and still lose weight, but what if you are not one of those people that can get away with that?

Sorry for the grammar, I'm not much of a writer :)

Thanks for posting this, I've been so frustrated lately with gains in my weight, especially when I had such big losses to start with. But when I think about it, I Have been really lazy with watching my measurements and definately not been having enough super free food! I know I can make a difference, and I need to buck up my ideas and get back on track, thanks! :)

Thanks for posting this, I've been so frustrated lately with gains in my weight, especially when I had such big losses to start with. But when I think about it, I Have been really lazy with watching my measurements and definately not been having enough super free food! I know I can make a difference, and I need to buck up my ideas and get back on track, thanks! :)

You are welcome hun :) and I'm glad you like my post and that's exactly why I wrote it so people like myself and you can realise why we are not losing as much weight as we would like to. All the best xx.

Very good points Maggie :)

Hi, I totally agree that if the plan is not working you need to take an honest look at how you're following it! I did, and had to admit that I was drinking (alcohol) my syn allowance and still eating the syns too:rolleyes: I have not drunk any alcohol for two weeks and have lost four pounds:D. It's all about following the plan 100% x

Excellent tips. Thanks.

I did the same with the Daily Mirror offer and went to class for the first time in a LONG time. This week I've been one of those 100% people and have felt completely committed and in control - am so, so hoping to see a loss at weigh in tonight!

Hi, I totally agree that if the plan is not working you need to take an honest look at how you're following it! I did, and had to admit that I was drinking (alcohol) my syn allowance and still eating the syns too:rolleyes: I have not drunk any alcohol for two weeks and have lost four pounds:D. It's all about following the plan 100% x

I know what you mean ;), I was doing the same with chocolate :rolleyes:.

Excellent tips. Thanks.

I did the same with the Daily Mirror offer and went to class for the first time in a LONG time. This week I've been one of those 100% people and have felt completely committed and in control - am so, so hoping to see a loss at weigh in tonight!

Good luck with weigh in tonight hun:).

I agree with your post, all those hidden syns. Its not untill you look at everything you find out. I looked at what I been eating the last few weeks and found also I was eating the same things over and over, so have now changed my meals and looking at the book as some weights have changed.

I have egg on toast for breakfast everyday & usually go between Hovis/Warburtons Wholemeal 400g & Hovis Wheatgerm 400g bread. No I thought I'd been told (I say that lightly!!) that any 400g loaf counts as your HEXB. The other day something twigged & when I looked up the Wheatgerm in my directory its 3.5 syns per slice & doesn't count as a B choice, I had no idea! So I've given away my loaf & bought a Wholemeal 400g. I swear I was told the WG was ok but next time I'll be checking first! :eek:

OMG, I was just browsing this whilst I was eating my breakfast. Got to the bit about the bread and left my meal (omelette n dry fried toms) mid course to go and weigh my hovis 400g slices that I had reserved for my work packed lunch. 22g each! Enjoying it much more now with 1 slice of bread that I can make up from my healthyb choice with the aid of a sin . Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou :)

OMG, I was just browsing this whilst I was eating my breakfast. Got to the bit about the bread and left my meal (omelette n dry fried toms) mid course to go and weigh my hovis 400g slices that I had reserved for my work packed lunch. 22g each! Enjoying it much more now with 1 slice of bread that I can make up from my healthyb choice with the aid of a sin . Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou :)
dont know if you know that hovis nimble bread is hexb for 2 slices, it comes in white, brown and multi grain. i buy from asda its about 80p a loaf :)

*funsize* said:
dont know if you know that hovis nimble bread is hexb for 2 slices, it comes in white, brown and multi grain. i buy from asda its about 80p a loaf :)

Thanx fun size, a little knowledge goes a long way !

I thought the 57g weight for bread only applies to a wholemeal roll. Any two slices of bread from a 400g wholemeal loaf, regardless of what they weigh, counts as a full HEXB....is that not right?

LisaC said:
I thought the 57g weight for bread only applies to a wholemeal roll. Any two slices of bread from a 400g wholemeal loaf, regardless of what they weigh, counts as a full HEXB....is that not right?

No that's not right at all! You must weigh it! A HEb is 60g of wholemeal(used to be 57g but they rounded it up in the new book)

Well it's 60g of wholemeal bread/roll now. That generally means you can have two slices from a 400g loaf or 1 slice from an 800g loaf. That's because the addition of a further slice would take you over the 60g limit. But if you want to, you can have your 60g and just syn the excess bit. So i usually have two medium slices from an 800g loaf that weigh 70g. I take that as 1 HEB and syn the extra 10g of bread.

Well it's 60g of wholemeal bread/roll now. That generally means you can have two slices from a 400g loaf or 1 slice from an 800g loaf. That's because the addition of a further slice would take you over the 60g limit. But if you want to, you can have your 60g and just syn the excess bit. So i usually have two medium slices from an 800g loaf that weigh 70g. I take that as 1 HEB and syn the extra 10g of bread.

So if I have the two slices from a wholemeal loaf but they only weigh around 44g together am I seriously undereating my HEXB? Or can I still count it as the B choice without making it awkward..?

LisaC said:
So if I have the two slices from a wholemeal loaf but they only weigh around 44g together am I seriously undereating my HEXB? Or can I still count it as the B choice without making it awkward..?

Why not try weighing one slice with out the crusts? As then you may be able to have 3 as your HEb! Just a thought?

Back