Working in an office and dieting!

NatalieBxx

This has got to be the hardest thing ever! I eat free foods for most of my meals so my syns I save for the odd takeaway and mostly wine on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays lol but lately what with working here my resolve is fast disapeering, today has been bad with the iced bun and 2 thornton mini choc things and caramel shortcakes. Now I have the food guilt and will not enjoy my wine as much tonight dammit!

Does anyone else find it hard working in an office when everyone is enjoying all the bad treats?

x

Absolutely!!!!!
I made an announcement 6 weeks ago that Birthdays were now banned in my office as there seemed to be one every other day and the birthday boy/girl has to bring in cakes. For a couple of weeks there were no cakes but at the mo it's holiday time so lots of people bringing in sticks of rock, shortbread, toffees etc. I've started taking options hot choc in so when there is sweet stuff in the kitchen I make a hot choc and that goes some way to quashing my need to scoff. (It also helps a little bit that I'm a floating support worker so am out of the office a fair bit - not that I book appointments to avoid cakes...............honest, hehe).

Yes-it is really hard I agree. You just have to make sure you have snacks on hand. I generally find that so long as there is something in my mouth, I don't feel left out.
I always have a fruit bowl on my desk, a Brita filter jug (to make sure I'm as hydrated as possible) and I bring things in like pots of sugar free jelly, muller lights and alpen light bars to have.

I go through ups and downs-have been on a down recently and this week have really stepped it up. I had the girls round last night and the meal was good (as I cooked it) but they brought along naughty things-it meant I had 35 syns in about 1 hour. I'm drawing a line under it and being extra good today-no more than 5 syns. Life happens, treats happen, don't deprive yourself and so long as it is a treat-you can enjoy everything.

Good luck. xx

I find working in an office fine with the diet (infact i'm better when i'm in the office than when i'm at home!).

Luckily there are a few other girlies on diets (WW) so if someone goes and buys cakes they usually bring back grapes for us too!

I think as long as people know you're slimming they tend to be quite supportive, at least in my office :)

xx

I have a boss who thinks he's being nice when he buy us 2 trays of krispy kremes to share between 8 of us. Don't know about you, but I swear they sprinkle crack on the things cos there is no way they are that addictive otherwise! I have so far managed to resist - mainly cos he brings them on tuesdays which is weigh in day!

What I do find hard is my journey home. I have to walk past;
Pret
M&S
4 lovely sandwiches shops
Cornish Pasty House
Bagel Shop
Millies Cookies

Then get on a train to Waterloo where I walk past
Krispy Kreme
Cornish Pasty place (again)
Costa
McD's
Burger King

Then get on a train home. Walk to the bus stop past
KFC
All you can eat chinese
Pub
Dominos Pizza
Papa Johns Pizza

Then when I get off the bus I have to walk past
Chinese
Indian
Fish & Chip shop

and did I mention I live above the corner shop filled with sweets & chocolate & wine?

So basically being in the office is a breeze :) Getting there & back is the problem!!

I'm usually pretty good to be honest, but i'm beginning to crack.

They arent good they, are like oh look they are only little they wont hurt! or do you want another one? Are you sure? Go on theres one left! Usually its "No thank you, i'll have a mugshot or something instead" but today has been bad! I try and be good but they are like devils on my shoulder!!

Kingleds, that really made me laugh!

Least I know I'm not alone! xx

It was a colleague's birthday this week and he brought in lots of lovely large cream cakes. I've got the biggest desk in the office so they all got put on there. I was sending emails out to everyone saying 'come and have a cake' then 'please come and have a cake'! The smell of them was pure torture!!! By the end of the day I was giving them to the cleaners!

I think I'm going to start a new rule - cakes have to stay on the birthday boy/girls desk!

I haven't told anyone at work I am following SW. There is lots of cake and booze at my place. I have a policy of saying no thanks to everything. After a while people stop offering and think you are an oddbod. Works for me :D

I know what you mean there's alway cakes for birthdays, naughty sweets/biscuits from someones holidays or cakes letf over from meetings!! Just too many naughty things around all the time. Why can't they bring strawberries in for there birthdays?! :)

Hxx

I feel for you, I have a similar problem - only we don't wait til birthdays or holidays, there is ALWAYS something in the staffroom. I've started to bring in pummets of fruit with me (strawberries, raspberries, plums etc). It's surprising how refreshing people find them and always seem to appreciate the healthy change - I think even people who aren't on a diet like the righteous feeling of picking at some strawberries and thinking they've been good. It helps me too as everytime I go to make a cup of tea I can still nibble and pick.

It doesn't always help though if you have to constantly look and smell the cakes that are also there, but little by little I'm trying to shift the mentality that cakes and sweets are the only treat.

Good luck!

My work isn't an office, but there's loads of us so there are cakes/goodies about 3 times a week.

I don't eat anything from the tea room now except on Fridays. On Friday a lady at work's daughter sends her mum with 3 different types of homemade cupcakes to sell. They are just divine. So I have 1 every Friday. That's it:)

Its all about weighing it up - do you use your syns on a treat in the office or not?

Dont deny yourself things - then you will end up hating SW, and be more likely to over do it when you crack! i have done this before and its destructive behaviour.

Make the choice - cake or smaller dress sizes......simples! x

My problem in the office is the buffet left overs. We have a lot of meetings where food is provided, it's lovely and there are always left overs.

I find it best to take myself out of the way and go to the coffee shop for a skinny latte!

Cakes are only brought in on very special occasions and then I use my syns but the buffets (if I succumb) are, err, free??

jaylou said:
My problem in the office is the buffet left overs. We have a lot of meetings where food is provided, it's lovely and there are always left overs.

I find it best to take myself out of the way and go to the coffee shop for a skinny latte!

Cakes are only brought in on very special occasions and then I use my syns but the buffets (if I succumb) are, err, free??

Mmm - buffet........

Im so glad its not only me that has problems at the office there is cake brought at least twice a week at mine n i find it so hard to say no ive told my co workers not to ask me if i want one so i dont have the option of eating them now :) i know that a smaller wedding dress is more important to me now xx

I do find it hard but luckily since changing jobs the "goodies" get put on a table not on someones desk so I deliberately don't go over there and also I thought to myself if I want to splurge on syns I'd rather it be at home with hubby or out with mates where I can really enjoy them rather than wolf a cake down without a second thought and then regret it later.

I know that's really hard and in my old job I couldn't do it but when I started in this building I set myself a target of not buying anything at work, I would take everything in.. Since last September the only thing I've bought is a bottle of pepsi max and and some fruit.. Saved me loads of money too!

I know that's really hard and in my old job I couldn't do it but when I started in this building I set myself a target of not buying anything at work, I would take everything in.. Since last September the only thing I've bought is a bottle of pepsi max and and some fruit.. Saved me loads of money too![/QUOTE]

I do that now i cant believe how much i save x

I was like that yesterday telling them to finish those little cake things before I got back to my desk, i got back and they'd put it on my desk under a banana, i gave it back but this is what i am working with lol.

I am usually pretty good but it's like peer pressure, like go on it's fine and i've said no so many times i'm like okkk go on then and get the food guilt. I know I can do it though, just nice to have an outlet coz they really dont understand here!!

There is always food in here, only 4 of us in here and there's always biscuits if nothing else, if i ate everything I was offered I wouldnt even be able to get in the office. Luckily bday treats for the rest of the building go in the kitchen so I can stay away from temptation!

xx

I totally sympathise! I work in a big open plan office and there is ALWAYS food laying around, either birthdays, post-holiday treats or meeting leftovers. The communal food area is just by the door to the stairs too so if you go out of the office to the loo or for lunch etc you have to walk right past it all.

To make matters worse, we regularly have 'Diversity' lunches where everyone brings in a traditional dish from their home country - it's like a bring and share thing. I was bringing in SW freindly dishes for a while but now I just offer to be the one who mans the phones while everyone else eats! It's a bit antisocial but my willpower can only take so much!

Debs xx:)

See I start imagining things like the person who made it had dirty hands, and had used the loo and not washed their hands then they touched the cake/food.
Offices are full of germs, especially keyboards, and desks and phones. Imagine eating other peoples dirt.
All the food they bring in is very dirty and covered in microscopic faeces and all food must be washed before being eaten.

If you don't feel like vomiting now....I give up!

Oh and because offices are full of germies, go to the loo and wash you hands, look in the mirror and yourself 'Do i really want to eat cake, or lose weight and look better?'

Back