Working out syns

I have heard that syn values can be worked out by using a simple formula........The amount of calories divided by 20.Is this true, is this something we can rely on?While checking calorie content of food items and then checking it with the syn value, it seemed to work out.I.e Syns in a small bag of matesers according to SW are 9.5The calories in a 37g bag of maltesers are 187 calories, and when divided by 20 = 9.35......Pretty closeCould this be something we could use in an emergency to give us a rough idea of syn values....i.e the fateful stop at a garage!!

I think that formula is only used when there are no free foods within the product, so chocolate and crisps and things it's spot on and an easy way to work it out.

Yeah that's right, if there is no free food in it then it is 20cals per syn. Which is handy to know when you're out and about.

I usually use the 1 syn = 20 cals rule when I'm out and about and sometimes I pick up sandwiches that are 440 cals but have eggs, salad, ham or chicken in - I know these are free foods for me, but I still syn it and try not to have any more syns that day. Is there something that could help me figure out how to syn these?
Or would it be better just to syn the bread and any butter/mayonnaise it has in it?

I don't have access to SW online or the syn calculator, so ideally I would be able to work it out in my head while I'm out and about.
Thanks!

purplephoenix said:
I usually use the 1 syn = 20 cals rule when I'm out and about and sometimes I pick up sandwiches that are 440 cals but have eggs, salad, ham or chicken in - I know these are free foods for me, but I still syn it and try not to have any more syns that day. Is there something that could help me figure out how to syn these?
Or would it be better just to syn the bread and any butter/mayonnaise it has in it?

I don't have access to SW online or the syn calculator, so ideally I would be able to work it out in my head while I'm out and about.
Thanks!

Prepacked sandwiches don't get any free food allowance. So it is a straight 1 syn for every 20 calories.

You can deduct 6 syns as your healthy extra if it is on 100% whole wheat bread

Hope that helps :)

Prepacked sandwiches don't get any free food allowance. So it is a straight 1 syn for every 20 calories.

You can deduct 6 syns as your healthy extra if it is on 100% whole wheat bread

Hope that helps :)

That helps a lot :) Thanks Britmum!

I choose the wholewheat buns when I can and it's good job they're worth the syns... but I think I'll stick to having them as a treat in future! lol

Back