Worried about excess skin

bex310788

Hi guys, I am 5ft 9 and started out in august at 22 stone 8 , I am currently 19 stone 1 , I am already seeing loose skin, my stomach looks awful just now, is there anything I can do to help with this? Also anyone who has lost a lot of weight , did u get help from NHS with surgery? I am 25 . Thanks :) x

The best thing is to lose weight slowly, to give your skin the best chance of keeping pace with your changing body. I don't think the NHS will generally help with skin removal surgery, unless there's a serious medical need, and it's not a procedure to undertake lightly, for sure. Just take it steady, maybe do some exercise if you're able to (I'm not!) - although the skin itself can't be exercised, you could make tighten the underlying muscles. Some people recommend moisturising with different things, but the only thing I've really done is to lose gradually - probably allow a couple of years to get to target? Good luck. :) xx

Hi bex,

That's a real worry of mine too, you're not alone hun. I've lost nearly 7 and a half stone since January with another 7 stone to go. I've got loose bits that haven't firmed up as much as I would have liked, particularly my bingo wings, tummy and abs... :cry:Because I'm still big with a long way to go I'm hoping that I've still got time to rectify it and things will get better.

I've been going to the gym since I lost 5 stone (wouldn't have even contemplated walking into a gym before that point) but not as regularly as I would like. In the meantime I'm having to wear support underwear and long sleeves, not so bad in this weather but terrible in the summer!

It's a kind of scary thought to think that after all this hard work in losing the weight I'll still be reminded every day when I look in the mirror of how fat I was :(

I've been thinking about joining a class of some kind but not sure what would be best, does anyone have any ideas? I've heard Zumba is good but I'm still fairly conscious of my size and wobbly bits and worried I'll be out of place and most of all worried that I won't be able to keep up! lol

xx

The best thing is to lose weight slowly, to give your skin the best chance of keeping pace with your changing body. I don't think the NHS will generally help with skin removal surgery, unless there's a serious medical need, and it's not a procedure to undertake lightly, for sure. Just take it steady, maybe do some exercise if you're able to (I'm not!) - although the skin itself can't be exercised, you could make tighten the underlying muscles. Some people recommend moisturising with different things, but the only thing I've really done is to lose gradually - probably allow a couple of years to get to target? Good luck. :) xx
Didn't think they did, I have been going swimming 4 times a week and to the gym twice a week. I have heard that palmers coco butter can help tighten skin so should maybe give that a go :-/

bex310788 said:
Didn't think they did, I have been going swimming 4 times a week and to the gym twice a week. I have heard that palmers coco butter can help tighten skin so should maybe give that a go :-/

It can't hurt, certainly. :) Speed does seem to be the main influencing factor - a lot of excess skin seems to be more common with weight loss surgery or other fast loss methods. Mine really isn't bad - not a pretty sight with no clothes as bits of me are a bit wobbly or wrinkly, lol - but certainly nothing that's noticeable with clothes on. I view it as a badge of honour! :) xx

Just wondering , how much weight have u lost? Xx

9.5 stone hon. :) xx
That's amazing, well done, I have 11.4 to lose altogether so quite similar, I am hoping to be at target for next Christmas so 18 months altogether, not too fast

hi bex
i have around the same to lose im taking it slow so my body as time to catch up with so much skin to go back lol

bex310788 said:
That's amazing, well done, I have 11.4 to lose altogether so quite similar, I am hoping to be at target for next Christmas so 18 months altogether, not too fast

Thank you! 18 months sounds very realistic. It's taken me a bit longer because of not exercising, but it seems to have gone quite fast really. :) xx

Thank you! 18 months sounds very realistic. It's taken me a bit longer because of not exercising, but it seems to have gone quite fast really. :) xx
tracy you have done brill and shown us all it can be done with patients and sticking to plan x x

chezz said:
tracy you have done brill and shown us all it can be done with patients and sticking to plan x x

Thank you, Chezz, I really appreciate your support, and am sure everyone else does too - you're a star, always there with a friendly word! :) xx

Thank you, Chezz, I really appreciate your support, and am sure everyone else does too - you're a star, always there with a friendly word! :) xx

aww thankyou and your the same you make me realize not to look at the big picture little steps and i thankyou for the support you give me x x

Back