Wow - fab doner kebab recipe, tastes like the real thing!!!

Has anyone actually made a veggie version of this?? I saw in the middle of the thread there was talk of it but then noone replied about hoe it turned out..... i've never ever had a kebab so i'm wondering whats it like..

ciranna said:
Has anyone actually made a veggie version of this?? I saw in the middle of the thread there was talk of it but then noone replied about hoe it turned out..... i've never ever had a kebab so i'm wondering whats it like..

A real kebab is sort of just like tasty slices of meat, a bit like haslet, only hot. It's actually hard to describe a taste. If you want to make a veg fake away kebab, I would just find a syn free veg loaf like nut roast? And then slice thinly and serve with large salad and co op pitta? That's what I would do. X

So I made this today using a bag of Asda vegie mince all the herbs 2 oxo cubes a whizzed up raw onion and a couple of eggs..... I also processed half the bag of mince with the eggs and onion.... it tasted delicious and looked good when it first came out of oven but couldn't slice it to save my life just fell. into crumbs :0(
Still really nice though made the red chilli sauce, hubby couldn't tell the difference between that and the sauce he gets when he's out..... and the mayo garlic and water, white sauce...delicious - will definitely make it again.

I Always make this with Ex Lean Beef Mince Instead of Lamb and it Tastes Gorgous..and Free which is Even Better :D

I must be the only person in the world who didn't like this! It was really dry and tasteless despite following the recipe. Has anyone else found this or is it just me? Was wondering if maybe it was because I tried it when I was pregnant and perhaps I was craving fat and it just didn't hit the spot or something.

I have not made this yet but earlier in the thread quite a few people mentioned that it could come out a bit dry so some reduced the cooking time and also quite a few added an egg to the mixture which apparently makes a big difference, so perhaps try that along with the onion tip that ColJack mentioned.

I am making this tomorrow and will definitely add an egg as I hate dry meat.

Just looked on Tesco online and see that fresh lean lamb mince is 2 for £6 - although the pack size is 400g which seems a bit awkward.

Also, lean is not free, only extra lean. :(

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Yeah I know, its a shame, but lean is better than full fat! I did make this tonight and have to say I was really suprised by how much it tastes like normal doner! I did find it ever so slightly dry but to eat something like this and still lose weight I can survive!

How many syns is in lean lamb mince?

I have found it! The tesco lean lamb mince is 3.5 syns per 100g so 14 syns for the pack! As others have said I don't think you can buy extra lean lamb mince which is a shame so I may try beef next time.

Here are the pics....it was yummy!
IMG_5780.jpgIMG_5782.jpgIMG_5786.jpg

This is my weekend treat it stops me nipping to the kebab shop! delicious with salad, sliced onions and homemade coleslaw. I've tried it with lean mince beef but didn't taste as nice I much prefer the lamb.

lollypop1985 said:
going to cook this tonight or tomorrow using extra lean beef mince, we cooked it before using the lamb and the other half didnt like it that much so good to luck to the second attempt

I did beef tonight :) how can anyone not love the lamb one?? X

Attachments

• image-2582473130.jpg
    image-2582473130.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 343
I think waitrose sell extra lean lamb mince :) (where I work we only sell the small packets though) but lamb is quite a fatty meat. That's why it's hard to get hold of extra lean, however if you go to a butchers where they do there own mince they will be able to do it anyways (will cost a fortune though)

I made this the other day - used fresh onion (blitzed in the food processor), used extra lean mince beef but added a lamb stock cube. This batch was def better than the last time I made it - the fresh onion seemed to stop it from drying out.

As it's only for me, I spilt the mix into 4 - 2 went into the freezer, 1 for tea that night as a kebab, and the other I made into mini meatballs for lunch the following day.

I made mine tonight and was looking forward to it all day but then realised I didn't have any pitta breads and the Co-op had closed. It wouldn't have felt like a kebab without the pitta so it will have to wait until tomorrow. Thus means I still have my he b left so can have toast later :) Ended up having a ham salad which I thoroughly enjoyed. meringue with strawberries and low fat creme fraiche next.

Paula, did you use a whole onion? Also how did it taste using the lamb cube in the beef?

Paula, did you use a whole onion? Also how did it taste using the lamb cube in the beef?

Sorry just saw your question

For 500g mince I used a small to medium onion. The lamb cube just added that extra bit of flavour to the mix, more kebab like :)

Back