Wow - fab doner kebab recipe, tastes like the real thing!!!

It's 11am and I'm reading this my mouth is drawling at the thought of this thank you can't wait to try this ?

mamaboo3 said:
It's 11am and I'm reading this my mouth is drawling at the thought of this thank you can't wait to try this ?

It's the best, I'm making it Sunday, got some extra lean beef mince Morrisons :)

PaulaL66 said:
I made this the other day - used fresh onion (blitzed in the food processor), used extra lean mince beef but added a lamb stock cube. This batch was def better than the last time I made it - the fresh onion seemed to stop it from drying out.

As it's only for me, I spilt the mix into 4 - 2 went into the freezer, 1 for tea that night as a kebab, and the other I made into mini meatballs for lunch the following day.

What a brilliant idea, meatballs & kebabs. Sounds lush . X

by the way, I was asked about the book I mentioned. it's amazing, not an SW book but all recipes would be tweakable if you have common sense. the curry for example, the meat is stewed in spiced water before being added to a sauce that is based n veggies. just cut down the fat and bob's yer uncle.

I can vouch for:
kebabs
burgers (lean mince, cheese from allowance, wholemeal roll or "proper" roll if you want to syn it)
special sauce (tweaked to be SW friendly and low syn)
kebab shop chilli sauce

The Takeaway Secret: How to Cook Your Favourite Fast-Food at Home [Book]

Hi Flibsey.. Just bought this book via kindle and can't wait to try some of the (tweaked) recipes. Thanks for sharing :)

Right actually got the ingredients at last so will make some time this week. Have to be low SYN days so I can have my pitta (always have heb cereal for breakfast!)

Yum it was lovely. Much better than last time. I used an egg and fresh onion and a beef oxo. Put it in a loaf tin to cook and kept tipping out the juices. Lovely and moist. Cooked in an hour.

I made this yesterday, although I tweaked the recipe a bit (as you do) and it was lush - the whole family loved it!!
I used beef with a lamb oxo, plus an egg and grated fresh onion. I made the mix and left it in the fridge for about 8 hours before cooking.
We score all the new dishes we try, this one got 9.5 out of 10...

does anyone know if you could use mixed herbs instead of the italian herbs/oregano seperately...or would this have a big difference in the taste?
i'm pretty new to cooking from scratch, with different herbs/spices so not really got to grips with what works best with what etc.
my cupboard is gradually getting full with them tho...it just so happens i only have mixed herbs and not the ones mentioned so would need to go buy some before i can attempt this if i couldn't get away with tweaking the recipe a bit? x

Hi I always just used mixed herbs in it. It still tasted lovely. I experimented with lots of changes as have made it loads including beating an egg into the mince mixture, adding lemon juice, chilli sauce etc. I never use the flour as it makes no difference whatsoever and is syns for nothing. I found the egg worked well for holding it together and lemon juice is tasty and helps it be more moist. Don't be afraid to experiment though as it always comes out lovely

thanks for getting back to me....think i'm going to give it a bash soon then cos i have mixed herbs and would only need to get the onion powder and maybe the lemon juice like you suggested. was gonna leave the flour out so that its syn free...now i just need to think of, and find, a sauce to have :)
thanks again x

Pizza bread is not now a hexB though so if you use you'll have to syn

OMGoodness! I am eating this as I type it tastes ridiculously like doner and as I used the pitta as a hex b is totally free! I can't believe it thanks OP xxxx

Back