Wow - fab doner kebab recipe, tastes like the real thing!!!

am making this again tommorrow night. cant wait.

I.ve got this sat prepared in the fridge waitin 2 be cooked 2nite. I couldn.t find onion powder though. Anyone tell me where i can find it.thanks. Hope its still nice!

Thanks alot guys,i was just lookin at the herbs an spices! Lovely aromas comin from the fridge can.t wait 2 cook an try this in my pitta!

Mmmmmmm had this for tea last night but with extra lean steak mince and it was amazing! Also my partner who loves a good kebab thought the same and can't wait to have it again!! Yum yum, making me hungry thinking about it!

aww i'm soooo disappointed - i made a total ar$e of this today:
been looking forward to this all week, save my HEb to have pitta with it today, 1st thing this morning i got the recipe out in preparation to leave the meat in the fridge all day ready to bung in the oven when we got in.... mixed all the herbs/spices in a bowl, added the mince the STUPIDLY realised that i only had the 250g pack of mince and hadn't halved the herbs etc!!
the result was garlicy meat overpowered with oregano and not a hint of kebab flavour seeing as it had double the flavour but half the meat....!!
edible along with salad and sw chips but man the after taste is not so good! lol

so annoyed with myself :(

I'm trying this today. Bought minced lamb 600g from asda. They didn't have extra lean or even lean but ill be splitting it 3 ways so hoping syns are not too bad. Does anyone know the syn value please? Xxxx

Had this today for dinner. It was Amazing and just like the real thing. We had it on top of sw chips with iceberg lettuce and tomatoes. For the sauce we mixed hot sweet chilli sauce with lighter than light mayo.

The husband loved it and perfect on a hangover :)

I got the recipe on here recently & made it last night for the first time, wow, I kid you not it tastes sooooooooo like the real thing!!!

We had it in a pitta (HEb) & with loads of salad & made a low syn garlic mayo dip, ohhhhhhhh I can now enjoy a fake-away kebab at the weekends - lush!!!

Here's the recipe (BTW I used extra lean beef mince rather than lamb!)

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon plain flour
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500g/1.1 lb lamb mince

Method:
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F

In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.

Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.

Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.

Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Slice the donor kebab as thinly as possible and serve with pitta, salad and sauces!!!

I can't wait to make this tonight using extra lean beef, I'm also going to marinate some chicken pieces and mix that in so its like having a mixed kebab :) xxxx

I'm trying this today. Bought minced lamb 600g from asda. They didn't have extra lean or even lean but ill be splitting it 3 ways so hoping syns are not too bad. Does anyone know the syn value please? Xxxx

Hey Hun
Here are the syns for you....

Lamb, mince, less than 16% fat , 100g raw 2 syns on EE and red or 9½ syns on green xxx

I am kind of making this tonight. I have diced lamb and no mince so I'm having a go with diced lamb. I hope its nice!

Here it is!
It did taste a bit like Kebab. I am definitely going to get some Lamb mince to do it the proper way as I can taste how it would taste with mince instead.
This was really, really yummy though. Even my partner who usually moans about something that I cook said it was "really nice"
I will do this again!
DSCN0626.jpg

Going to attempt to make this on Saturday, could only get normal lamb mince tho so will syn it, do asda wholemeal pitta still count as a heb?

Back